Timeline for Vouchers/Refunds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
Due to weather related delays on my trip to DC last month, I had to get off the Capitol Limited in Cleveland and fly the rest of the way to DC (remaining on the train would have resulted in a missed meeting with my congressman) After I returned, I called customer relations and explainednd they advised me to write a letter, outlining the issues I expereienced and the remedy I am seeking (IE: Service credit towards future Amtrak travel equal to the cost of the airline ticket I had to purchase)

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience lately and could provide feedback on Amtrak's typical turnaround time on these requests. Its been three weeks so far, with no response to my letter.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris: This is not the way to get made whole! All Government agencies (but not Congress members, if you know your member give them a heads up to help with this run around if needed!)send out form/canned letters, there's millions of them in "the files" all over WAS!

Call back to Customer Relations and ask for a Supervisor if need be, then write your letter (Im sure you know to keep a copy and to cc: your Congressperson if you want their assistance!)You deserve to be made whole for this, and will if you are persistent! Good luck! ;)

Based on my time here so far, it sounds like phone calls are the only way to get anything other than a canned reply. Maybe that means we're just mailing the wrong people, but either way I would call and ask what's going on and repeat the gist of the letter if need be. I don't think you'll ever hear back from Amtrak if you don't follow up with some phone calls.

.... and the remedy I am seeking (IE: Service credit towards future Amtrak travel equal to the cost of the airline ticket I had to purchase)
I am not too sure if Amtrak would use the value of an airline ticket you decided to buy on your own.

More likely, Amtrak would look at the value of the Amtrak ticket you purchased, and how much of your journey you did not complete.

Or, simply give you a "good will" amount of, say, $50 or $100.

Any amount you get would be a voucher, good for redemption (not actual travel dates) for one year.

I am not too sure if Amtrak would use the value of an airline ticket you decided to buy on your own. More likely, Amtrak would look at the value of the Amtrak ticket you purchased, and how much of your journey you did not complete. Or, simply give you a "good will" amount of, say, $50 or $100. Any amount you get would be a voucher, good for redemption (not actual travel dates) for one year.
If they give you a measly $50 credit then maybe you should show your own "good will" by revisiting your congressperson to advocate in person for a wholesale dismantling of Amtrak. Then include a transcript of your visit in your next letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... and the remedy I am seeking (IE: Service credit towards future Amtrak travel equal to the cost of the airline ticket I had to purchase)
I am not too sure if Amtrak would use the value of an airline ticket you decided to buy on your own.

More likely, Amtrak would look at the value of the Amtrak ticket you purchased, and how much of your journey you did not complete.

Or, simply give you a "good will" amount of, say, $50 or $100.

Any amount you get would be a voucher, good for redemption (not actual travel dates) for one year.
The agent I spoke with when I made my initial call indicated she was authorized to provide a voucher equal to the ENTIRE segment cost ($104), even though I did ride the train from Chicago to Cleveland. She said that my other option was to reach out via mail to the Office of Customer Relations in DC and that they could possibly give me a voucher covering the full cost of airfare ($156) Given the chance to recover more of the cost of the flight (remember, this train was delayed 5+ hours) I thought it would be best to try the Customer Relations option.

Ahh, well in that case it sounds like you're already pretty close to getting what you want. Your next option would be to simply follow up with the Office of Customer Relations in DC. Type the address into google and find the phone and fax numbers. Then start the process of following up. Maybe send it with signature confirmation next time so you can tell them when it arrived and how long they've been sitting on it.

I've always gotten a good response from a letter. I received a $500 voucher for a pretty foo'd-up trip a couple years ago. That was a reward trip, so it was pretty much free money to me.

Well, I don't have to wonder anymore... my voucher arrived today. While the rep I spoke with initially said there was a possibility they would issue a voucher equal to what I had to pay for airfare, in the end I only got $100. Obviously, I had hoped for more, but $100 is enough to satisfy me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back