Tipping On Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catblue

Service Attendant
I have seen several topics on the forum that have mentioned tipping. Some have mentioned what they tip. Some have stated that they tip when they get on the train and some when the trip is over.

I think most agree that in the diner you tip when the meal is over. As the sleeper attendant there is some varying views.

Some high end hotels even have a no tipping" policy according to Tipping Etiquette on About.com.

It says tipping is never required. It may be expected but not required. Although encouraged.

The going rate at hotels seems to be along these lines:

Bellman: $5.00 per bag at 5 star hotel less at others.

Room Service: 15% of bill.

Maid: $2-$10 per day.

Parking Valet: $2-$5 each time.

Cab Driver: 15%

Waiter: 15% to 20%

I usually tip after a service in accordance with the service I received, good or bad. Usually in the 20% range. More if the service was excellent but never less than 15%.

So I pose the question what is the general consensus as to the amount to tip on Amtrak, who to tip, and when to tip.

I have seen several topics on the forum that have mentioned tipping. Some have mentioned what they tip. Some have stated that they tip when they get on the train and some when the trip is over. I think most agree that in the diner you tip when the meal is over. As the sleeper attendant there is some varying views.

Some high end hotels even have a no tipping" policy according to Tipping Etiquette on About.com.

It says tipping is never required. It may be expected but not required. Although encouraged.

I usually tip after a service in accordance with the service I received, good or bad. Usually in the 20% range. More if the service was excellent but never less than 15%.

So I pose the question what is the general consensus as to the amount to tip on Amtrak, who to tip, and when to tip.
At hotels, I am within your ranges (sometimes at the lower end) for everything but the bellman, and on that, I must have been living in a cave for a long time because I am not even close. Bell staff must love you.

I tipe what I would tip in a Denneys or similar restaurant in the dining car. Lower end of your range at best. I tip sleeping car attendents $10-20 per long distance trip, which is generally from overnight to 2.5 days. More if I have them bring me room service meals. I tip 100% of the time unless service has been horrible or attitude obnoxious.

In the diner, I tip 15 to 20 percent of the amount of my meal, at the end of the meal. If you are in a sleeper, you tip on the amount you would be paying if you were paying. Frankly, the 15 to 20 percent variation is less based on service and more based on rounding to the nearest dollar.

The sleeping car attendant gets $5 or $10 a night, which I give as I get off the train, using the folded-bill-in-the-palm handshake my father taught me the first time I rode in a sleeping car many years ago. An attendant who is less attentive gets less of a tip, but I can't imagine stiffing the attendant entirely -- maybe if I had to make my own bed (which hasn't happened).

I have never used the services of a Red Cap, but I imagine I would tip as I tip anyone else who carries bags, i.e., a dollar a bag, two dollars if I am feeling generous or the bag is heavy, given after the bag is deposited in my room.

I have seen several topics on the forum that have mentioned tipping. Some have mentioned what they tip. Some have stated that they tip when they get on the train and some when the trip is over. I think most agree that in the diner you tip when the meal is over. As the sleeper attendant there is some varying views.

I have never been under the impression that a tip is a god given right of an Amtrak employee or anyone else. There have been a few situations where I haven't tipped at restaurants and such. Abominable service deserves no tip.

I have also never, in my life, tipped a hotel maid anything close to that. I'll leave my pocket change in the room when I leave. I don't recall my parents ever tipping hotel maids. Never even occured to me as a requirement.

That being said, I mostly agree with your numbers. I'd tip my attendant between 5 and 10 per person per day, but I'd point out that sometimes you get lazy attendants who never appear (no tip) or attendants that go far and above what they are supposed to (more then $10/day/per.)

If there was one, you wouldn't need to ask for it. We'd have put a FAQ up already....

I traveled to Seattle from Chicago on the Empire Builder last week. The attendant in my sleeping car was fantastic, accommodating, cordial, helpful, etc., etc., and I gave her $20 for the trip. Though I gave the waiter in the Dining Room 15% of what the total of the check would have been had I paid, and the amount not been included as a sleeping car passenger, I think 10% was probably a more appropriate upper-level gratuity given the minimal level of service generally provided. I don't leave a tip if the service is not up to my expectation as minimally acceptable and I don't feel bad about it - because there's no entitlement to a gratuity, it should be a reward for service above and beyond what is generally accepted as a standard for a particular service.

remember that everyone on the train is making good union wages (even the dining car). tipping is not making up for poor wages. as a guide for how much, i think taking the sleeper is a combination of the airline industry and the cruise industry. look at tipping on those two and come up with how much you want to tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point Upstate.

Tipping has become very expected by many in the service industry. I agree that tipping is suppose to be for good service. I tip well when I get good service.

One thing I do not like is occasionally before you even have time to tip it is made clear they are waiting for the tip. I once had a bellman hold out his hand. I think that is rude.

In a restaurant recently I paid the server and was waiting for my change. I needed the change to tip with because I had little cash on me. The change I was due was a amount more than I was wanting to tip for the service we received. The server never came back with the change. Not wanting to make a scene I just just got up and started toward the door. Then and only then did the server say "Thank you, come back soon." I mentioned it to friends who had also eaten at that restaurant and it seems we had the same server and the same thing happen to them. If I ever eat at that restaurant again and have the same server I will be ready. :angry:

I never ever ever tip for hotel room service. Generally a delivery charge of $2 to $3 and up to 20% service are added to the total. Another 15% on top of that is just getting ridiculous.

I have also never, in my life, tipped a hotel maid anything close to that. I'll leave my pocket change in the room when I leave. I don't recall my parents ever tipping hotel maids. Never even occured to me as a requirement.
My parents or other family members I traveled with never tipped hotel maids...because we never stayed at hotels! We always stayed at budget motels--Super 8 Motels, mom-n-pop-run roadside motels out of the 1950s, etc. It's my understanding that tipping is not really expected at these places.

From what I understand, a simple overnight stay does not require a tip. (This is also why tips are not usually expected in motels, since motels rarely host multiple-night stays.) Where a tip becomes appropriate is when you are staying for multiple nights, especially when housekeeping tidies up any messes you have left. I've never heard of $10 per night, but $2 per night at a mid-range (two- or three-star) property seems appropriate to me, especially if you make any special requests of housekeeping (I've seen people on FT post about good relationships they've formed with housekeeping at hotels they stay frequently at, and due to that relationship and the generous tips they leave, they usually receive extra pampering from them). Perhaps $10 per night might be appropriate at a five-star property where housekeeping actually comes and introduces themselves to you and asks you to let them know personally should you need any extra accoutrements (especially if you take advantage of that offer).

Of people who receive tips, however, I'd suspect that housekeeping is the most used to not receiving anything, because it's not quite as widely known as a common practice by leisure/budget travelers.

remember that everyone on the train is making good union wages (even the dining car). tipping is not making up for poor wages.
I have to admit, that is the foundation of my thinking. Waitstaff at a (land) restaurant are paid well below minimum wage. There is a full expectation that tips are a definite part of their living wage, and I glad to provide them the tip they are clearly working hard to earn from me.

Others, who are already being very well paid to do a job, IMHO, don't automatically get a tip. They really have to do something special just for me, that is above and beyond their minimal job duties.

Hay, I work very hard, but I have yet to get a tip from anyone. :p

My parents or other family members I traveled with never tipped hotel maids...because we never stayed at hotels! We always stayed at budget motels--Super 8 Motels, mom-n-pop-run roadside motels out of the 1950s, etc. It's my understanding that tipping is not really expected at these places.

From what I understand, a simple overnight stay does not require a tip. (This is also why tips are not usually expected in motels, since motels rarely host multiple-night stays.) Where a tip becomes appropriate is when you are staying for multiple nights, especially when housekeeping tidies up any messes you have left. I've never heard of $10 per night, but $2 per night at a mid-range (two- or three-star) property seems appropriate to me, especially if you make any special requests of housekeeping (I've seen people on FT post about good relationships they've formed with housekeeping at hotels they stay frequently at, and due to that relationship and the generous tips they leave, they usually receive extra pampering from them). Perhaps $10 per night might be appropriate at a five-star property where housekeeping actually comes and introduces themselves to you and asks you to let them know personally should you need any extra accoutrements (especially if you take advantage of that offer).

Of people who receive tips, however, I'd suspect that housekeeping is the most used to not receiving anything, because it's not quite as widely known as a common practice by leisure/budget travelers.
We mostly stay at the the 4-star to 5-star range.

remember that everyone on the train is making good union wages (even the dining car). tipping is not making up for poor wages.
I have to admit, that is the foundation of my thinking. Waitstaff at a (land) restaurant are paid well below minimum wage. There is a full expectation that tips are a definite part of their living wage, and I glad to provide them the tip they are clearly working hard to earn from me.

Others, who are already being very well paid to do a job, IMHO, don't automatically get a tip. They really have to do something special just for me, that is above and beyond their minimal job duties.

I don't think anybody automatically gets a tip. Rudeness, shoddy service, and so on gets no tip. I don't care where it is.

As for working very hard, how about delivering meals professionally on a shaking conveyence going along at 80 mph while staying away from your family for days at a time?

As for working very hard, how about delivering meals professionally on a shaking conveyence going along at 80 mph while staying away from your family for days at a time?
compared to what? waiting tables in a regular restaraunt? they get good union wages because of their work environment. there are plenty of folks working construction or repair work that make the train service staff jobs look like a walk in the park.

compared to what? waiting tables in a regular restaraunt? they get good union wages because of their work environment. there are plenty of folks working construction or repair work that make the train service staff jobs look like a walk in the park.
Pfui, sir. The wages help cover the harder working environment, sure, but that doesn't preclude the fact that these servers are just as entitled to a tip for good service as any restaurant worker. If a restaurant worker provides shoddy service, I provide a shoddy or non-existent tip. If that makes them starve, well, they should have thought about that before they provided me shoddy service.

I, unlike you, am not a chintzy tipper. Satisfy me, give me the expected level of service- meaning don't be rude, get my order some semblance of correct, and bring me my food and such with an acceptable-for-conditions level of alacrity, I give you 15%. Do any better than that it tends to 20%, and I go above that too. But I do not hesitate to walk out of an establishment with just the money for the meal on the table if the service warrants it. I don't feel bad. A job waiting does not entitle you to a god given right to make ends meet. I know people who work harder and fail to, and there is no reason a waiter is special.

Further, I evaluate my server on the merits of the server. Not on the merits of the kitchen. If I am waiting for my food and I constantly see them bustling around doing their job, thats fine. If I am waiting I see them sitting in the corner of the room as I try to signal them, that's different.

But there is no reason them being paid union wages for doing a much harder job justifies not tipping. It is entirely irrelevant.

Charlie,

I do agree that wait staff at a (land) restaurant are paid well below the "normal" minimum wage. That is indeed what the law allows, when one is getting tips for service. I won't debate the wisdom of that here, as frankly it's not really relevant to train travel.

However that said, waiters in a (land) restaurant typically don't work all 3 meals of the day. At most, generally they might work a double shift pulling two meals. Most waiters have a bus boy to clear and clean the tables and reset them. Except in extraordinary circumstances, most waiters don't have more than 5 to 6 tables at once, and all tables are at a different point in their meals. Meaning that all six tables don't arrive at exactly the same time. As noted by GML, they don't have to work in a moving, bumping, swaying environment. Unless of course there happens to be an earthquake nearby. :lol: They don't work in an environment where the restaurant deliberately tries to dump the hot coffee or plate full of food in the patron's lap.

And as also noted by GML, they go home to their own beds at night. They get to kiss their family good night, if they have one. They aren't stuck in a train for 3 days straight, get a few hours off, and then back on the train for another 3 days. Yes, if they have seniority and aren't working the extra board, they then get 3 or 4 days off after that. But still beyond the similarity of carrying a tray full of food, the demand and the work environment of a (land) waiter are vastly different from the demands of a waiter on an Amtrak train.

Heck, in a restaurant you're probably very lucky if your waiter knows CPR or even First Aid. An Amtrak waiter has to learn safety and emergency evacuation procedures too.

So yes, they do get paid more than (land) based waiters, but their job is considerably harder IMHO, assuming that they are actually doing their job. If they are, then they get a tip from me. If they aren't, then that's a horse of a different color.

Charlie,

I do agree that wait staff at a (land) restaurant are paid well below the "normal" minimum wage. That is indeed what the law allows, when one is getting tips for service. I won't debate the wisdom of that here, as frankly it's not really relevant to train travel.

However that said, waiters in a (land) restaurant typically don't work all 3 meals of the day. At most, generally they might work a double shift pulling two meals. Most waiters have a bus boy to clear and clean the tables and reset them. Except in extraordinary circumstances, most waiters don't have more than 5 to 6 tables at once, and all tables are at a different point in their meals. Meaning that all six tables don't arrive at exactly the same time. As noted by GML, they don't have to work in a moving, bumping, swaying environment. Unless of course there happens to be an earthquake nearby. :lol: They don't work in an environment where the restaurant deliberately tries to dump the hot coffee or plate full of food in the patron's lap.

And as also noted by GML, they go home to their own beds at night. They get to kiss their family good night, if they have one. They aren't stuck in a train for 3 days straight, get a few hours off, and then back on the train for another 3 days. Yes, if they have seniority and aren't working the extra board, they then get 3 or 4 days off after that. But still beyond the similarity of carrying a tray full of food, the demand and the work environment of a (land) waiter are vastly different from the demands of a waiter on an Amtrak train.

Heck, in a restaurant you're probably very lucky if your waiter knows CPR or even First Aid. An Amtrak waiter has to learn safety and emergency evacuation procedures too.

So yes, they do get paid more than (land) based waiters, but their job is considerably harder IMHO, assuming that they are actually doing their job. If they are, then they get a tip from me. If they aren't, then that's a horse of a different color.
There's one thing I still don't understand in all this tipping business in the US (and maybe Canada as well?): what about the other staff members in a restaurant or on the train. Where I live you not only tip the waiter (provided the service was satisfactory) but everybody that provided a pleasant stay: waiter, bartender, kitchen staff, cleaners, etc. So what usually happens is that all tips are being collected and divided once a year among all personal. Advantage is that they all feel responsible for a satisfied customer.

i don't like the idea of turning in your tips. you should get to keep what you earned. that way those who have a take this job and shove it attitude will either quit and go elsewhere or change there attitude and start earning tips. is it fare that someone who never gets tips cause he/she does a crappy job should get a bonus at the end of the year for providing crappy service. i think not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie,

There's one thing I still don't understand in all this tipping business in the US (and maybe Canada as well?): what about the other staff members in a restaurant or on the train. Where I live you not only tip the waiter (provided the service was satisfactory) but everybody that provided a pleasant stay: waiter, bartender, kitchen staff, cleaners, etc. So what usually happens is that all tips are being collected and divided once a year among all personal. Advantage is that they all feel responsible for a satisfied customer.
But do any of them declare their tips on their tax returns?

After all, the tip comes out of your post-tax Euros (Dollars) :angry: .

Given that, as a tourist, you'll never meet your service staff ever again I'd tip strictly in accordance with the service received. Bad service: nothing. Ordinary service:nothing. Good service: what you feel comfortable with.

And on Amtrak, if you reach the third level of service you'll be so much in shock you'll probably forget to tip!

Service levels in the US are usually crap by world standards but they still continue to tip. Tip for the service you expect to receive, not for what the locals are prepared to pay. And be grateful that in Europe the staff don't live off their tips - and neither do Amtrak staff (who I tip when I get good service).

We mostly stay at the the 4-star to 5-star range.
Wow. For someone who claims to not care about lots of money, you sure do spend a lot.

Glad to know the Mandarin Orientals, Conrads, Pan Pacifics, Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons of the world are getting $300-700 per night of your rare resources... ;)

There difference, IMHO, is that here in the USA, the table waitstaff (and only the waitstaff) can be paid far less than the legal minimal wage. That's because the law assumes their pay will get subsidized by tips. They are the only workers for which the law does this. In contrast, the kitchen staff, busboy/cleaner, etc, all have to be paid, at least, the legal minimal wage.

The exception, and one of the points of debate here, is that this apparently is not true for Amrak dining car waitstaff. Amtrak has chosen to not pay the dining car waitstuff less than minimum wage, but instead paid them way more than the minimum. A lot more to compensate them for the long hours, and being away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back