Tipping on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The usual reasons for tipping (wage recovery, special requests, stronger drinks, etc.) don't really exist on Amtrak. Airlines that make up your bed in business class don't ask for tips and when I tried to tip anyway it was refused. Amtrak is the poster child for how tipping culture is arbitrary and irrational.
Amtrak has an official policy of no tipping. Amtrak employeess have a pretty good deal without tips and with tips it's like double dipping.

While I always tip waitstaff off at restaurants off the train because they need it to earn a decent living, I don't feel compelled to do so on Amtrak because they earn well more than minimum wage. That said, I usually tip if the service meets minimum standards, although sometime I don't because I don't have small bills with me. When I rode the Canadian, I didn't see anyone tippin in the dining car. I did tip the SCA, though. I also usually tip the first class attendant on the Acela, but I didn't the last time I rode becuase I didn't have any small bills on hand. While they appreciate the tip, I've never had a problem with someone being nasty about me not tipping them, either.

While I always tip waitstaff off at restaurants off the train because they need it to earn a decent living, I don't feel compelled to do so on Amtrak because they earn well more than minimum wage. That said, I usually tip if the service meets minimum standards, although sometime I don't because I don't have small bills with me. When I rode the Canadian, I didn't see anyone tippin in the dining car. I did tip the SCA, though. I also usually tip the first class attendant on the Acela, but I didn't the last time I rode becuase I didn't have any small bills on hand. While they appreciate the tip, I've never had a problem with someone being nasty about me not tipping them, either.
I have a similar problem of not having small bills, because these days I hardly ever carry cash around, in fact the few times I withdraw cash it is often for the purpose of paying tips, or putting money in the church collection plate if I am traveling.

Amtrak has an official policy of no tipping. Amtrak employeess have a pretty good deal without tips and with tips it's like double dipping.
Amtrak has NOT ever had an Official Policy of No Tipping.

If you have a Valid Source saying this, please share it so we all can benefit from this change!

I have a similar problem of not having small bills, because these days I hardly ever carry cash around, in fact the few times I withdraw cash it is often for the purpose of paying tips, or putting money in the church collection plate if I am traveling.
When we travel via Amtrak (which is the only way for us to travel long distances) we make it a point to have some smaller bills on hand for tips. Our standard tip for the Red Cap cart drivers is $5.00 which is also what we tip the shuttle drivers who take us to and from the train station to the long-term parking lot where we leave our car. We pretty much know in advance how many $5.00 tips we'll need and have the necessary bills on hand. We also have larger bills to tip our east and west bound SCAs.

Normally $5-$10 per night depends on if I like the attendant and/or service provided.

There was one time on Auto Train, we felt being ignored and managed to put off the bedding and reset the seating in bedroom by ourself so gave zero tip.

If I see our attendant frequently clean restrooms downstairs, I would add that in tipping consideration as well.
On my last trip on the Crescent, in 2022, the SCA made the bed up without the mattress from above, and I did it myself, so I tipped myself for that trip.

Amtrak has NOT ever had an Official Policy of No Tipping.

If you have a Valid Source saying this, please share it so we all can benefit from this change!
I know I've seen something about tipping on the web but I think they've removed it. I know they allow tipping but they hardly recommend it. Tip like you would tip your mail carrier, which is also allowed.

On our trips:
Redcaps when we must carry on all our baggage on the train. They take it to our bedroom and its $10 for them
For the SCA $5 when he/she puts the beds down and $5.00 when he/she puts them up. If we need a bucket of ice its another $5.00.
For meals ,we look at the menu prices and give them 20% They know that we tip and look the other way when we bring our own drinks with us like Starbucks Frappucino, Pelligrino water or a small bottle of Maple syrup for the pancakes. The syrup that Amtrak provides is corn syrup-Yuccc!
Tipping usually results in getting better service.

I had a funny one recently, my wife and I like Woodford and we each ordered one to have with our dessert.

I didn't have a $10, so I figured the server in the dinning car worked really hard, so I left a $20.

Next thing I know, he comes up behind my wife and I, saying you left something.

Before I know it, he hands me 4 minis of Woodford.

I thanked him and continued to our room, my wife said I think he appreciated the $20.

We had a nice night cap before going to sleep.

What so SCAs earn?? What do LCAs earn?
I have found that tips don't seem to be that important to many Amtrak employees. They are making a good income and tips are probably small change to many. I usually tip for okay to good service but I realize that Amtrak employees are not minimum wage people such as you often find at your local restaurant.

I think all Amtrak employees probably earn something over $40k, based on posts I've seen here. About twice what fully paid restaurant workers make, many times what a server makes. Amtrak doesn't have a tip pool, they don't distribute tips, the engineer doesn't get tips. and as far as I know they don't provide the IRS with employee tip info.

Looking at sea going cruises, they have their tipping policies online in great detail:
"It is customary for our guests to extend gratuities to the shipboard staff in appreciation for their hard work and exceptional service. 100% of your gratuities are distributed to the crew who you interact with, such as your stateroom attendants, dining and culinary services staff, as well as other members of the onboard team who work behind the scenes to enhance your overall cruise experience. Applying this charge automatically streamlines the recognition process and ensures our crew will share in your generosity.

To help you plan, we have provided the recommended onboard gratuities guidelines.
  • Standard Staterooms: $16.00 USD per person, per day
  • Suite Staterooms: $18.00 USD per person, per day"
.... "Additional Information
  • Gratuities are assessed on all guests, with the exception of children under the age of 2.
  • Gratuities apply regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or open seating dining.
  • For beverage purchases, an 18% service charge will be added to the bill.
  • An 18% service charge will be added to the cover charge for the Chef’s Table and Bonsai Teppanyaki as well as the nominal à la carte fee at Bonsai Sushi, Emeril’s Bistro, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse | Brewhouse and Seafood Shack; additional gratuities can be added at the guest's discretion.
  • A gratuity may be extended to room service staff as service is rendered.
Thank you for your generous recognition of our onboard team. Our crew works hard to provide you with a great vacation and takes pride in being part of the best team in the cruise industry."

So a person planning budgets according to this as it's part of the total price.

It seems keeping fees and gratuities separate makes the fares look more affordable. With air travel the fees aren't called gratuities, but they can add significantly to the cost. I'm glad Amtrak is more transparent about the total costs upfront.

What so SCAs earn?? What do LCAs earn?
I think if we are asking for details of other folks income, we should first put up a declaration of our own income and wealth? Seems fair?
Keep in mind that some train crews are away from their homes and families for several days at a time, it's not the same as a regular job.

I think if we are asking for details of other folks income, we should first put up a declaration of our own income and wealth? Seems fair?
Keep in mind that some train crews are away from their homes and families for several days at a time, it's not the same as a regular job.
I disagree. When people are asking for, or expecting, extra remuneration in the form of tips, the question of what they earn before tips is a fair question and helps people evaluate their tipping practices. I suspect that there are many Amtrak customers, particularly those traveling in coach, who earn far less than many Amtrak employees and have fewer benefits.

I think all Amtrak employees probably earn something over $40k, based on posts I've seen here. About twice what fully paid restaurant workers make, many times what a server makes. Amtrak doesn't have a tip pool, they don't distribute tips, the engineer doesn't get tips. and as far as I know they don't provide the IRS with employee tip info.

Looking at sea going cruises, they have their tipping policies online in great detail:
"It is customary for our guests to extend gratuities to the shipboard staff in appreciation for their hard work and exceptional service. 100% of your gratuities are distributed to the crew who you interact with, such as your stateroom attendants, dining and culinary services staff, as well as other members of the onboard team who work behind the scenes to enhance your overall cruise experience. Applying this charge automatically streamlines the recognition process and ensures our crew will share in your generosity.

To help you plan, we have provided the recommended onboard gratuities guidelines.
  • Standard Staterooms: $16.00 USD per person, per day
  • Suite Staterooms: $18.00 USD per person, per day"
.... "Additional Information
  • Gratuities are assessed on all guests, with the exception of children under the age of 2.
  • Gratuities apply regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or open seating dining.
  • For beverage purchases, an 18% service charge will be added to the bill.
  • An 18% service charge will be added to the cover charge for the Chef’s Table and Bonsai Teppanyaki as well as the nominal à la carte fee at Bonsai Sushi, Emeril’s Bistro, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse | Brewhouse and Seafood Shack; additional gratuities can be added at the guest's discretion.
  • A gratuity may be extended to room service staff as service is rendered.
Thank you for your generous recognition of our onboard team. Our crew works hard to provide you with a great vacation and takes pride in being part of the best team in the cruise industry."

So a person planning budgets according to this as it's part of the total price.

It seems keeping fees and gratuities separate makes the fares look more affordable. With air travel the fees aren't called gratuities, but they can add significantly to the cost. I'm glad Amtrak is more transparent about the total costs upfront.
Incorrect about IRS. All Dining Car crew, except kitchen staff, are considered tipped employees under IRS guidelines, and the appropriate info is reported to them.

I'll throw my hat into this discussion. Pre-pandemic prior to a trip I would go to the bank and get a bunch of dollar coins. At each meal I would leave 3 of them on the table. As to the SCA, sometimes I would let them make up the bed, sometimes I would do it. I would usually make it up in the morning. I have always been greeted by a cheery SCA, so they always get $20 at the conclusion of the trip. Subsequent to the pandemic the SCA gets treated the same way, but in the dining car I now leave a $5 bill which is a reflection of what it now costs to eat at a restaurant.

Asking what tipped positions make in general as a group is a little different than asking what an individual forum member makes specifically.

Keep in mind that millions of regular US jobs have no paid holidays, no paid sick time, no retirement funding, no health insurance, and no tips.

I find the whole US tipping culture rather cringeworthy. Why can't firms just pay a fair wage, without the customer expected to make up the shortfall?
Amtrak staff are paid a fair wage with top shelf benefits and we're expected to tip them anyway. There is simply no way to rationalize American tipping culture because it is fundamentally irrational and arbitrary.

Last edited:
I didn't realize our SCA would be leaving the TX Eagle at San Antonio, so when I got off to look around I didn't tip him. I was sad when I realized. Operational but not service employees on trains have crew changes, but the San Antonio situation obviously is different on the 3 days a week that a coach & a sleeper become part of the Sunset Ltd there during the night.

Asking what tipped positions make in general as a group is a little different than asking what an individual forum member makes specifically.

Keep in mind that millions of regular US jobs have no paid holidays, no paid sick time, no retirement funding, no health insurance, and no tips.

Amtrak staff are paid a fair wage with top shelf benefits and we're expected to tip them anyway. There is simply no way to rationalize American tipping culture because it is fundamentally irrational and arbitrary.
I hope you are correct about the Amtrak staff getting a fair wage, etc, but none of us here seem to know, it is all assumptions as far as I can see?
I do feel sad that millions of regular US jobs have no paid holidays, etc, etc, etc. Why do you think that is ? (At least those union troublemakers don't stir up things by trying to obtain benefits and paid holidays... Bloody unions, eh? ) :D :D :cool:

I didn't realize our SCA would be leaving the TX Eagle at San Antonio, so when I got off to look around I didn't tip him. I was sad when I realized. Operational but not service employees on trains have crew changes, but the San Antonio situation obviously is different on the 3 days a week that a coach & a sleeper become part of the Sunset Ltd there during the night.
Similar to the VIA Rail, Canadian at Winnipeg, eh? The entire OBS as well as T&E crew changes there. Must be because they consider more than two nights on the road, too long?

Back