Tipping the Sleeping Car Attendant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

densgirl

Train Attendant
Hi all,don't post a ton so just a refresher we use the handicapped room and haven't traveled on a sleeper for two years now. I usually tip twenty up front and then depending on the level of service for things like bringing meals to the room, etc. I will add another ten or twenty at the end depending on the way the attendent sees to our extra needs. Over tipping? Under tipping? Do you wait til after the end of the trip or do you tip up front? Thanks for any advice.

Edited to add: We leave tomorrow morning and I'm just so excited to get on the Silver service again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you get some great service for that!

I personally feel like that's probably too much. $40? I usually do $10 per night unless the attendant does something really crazy for us, in which case I'll go up to $20. I never give anything up front.

I'm not saying what I do is the right way, though. I'm curious to hear how much other people tip. But I can't imagine any attendant really expects more than $10 per passenger per night.

Personally if I were in the H room and expecting meal delivery, I might consider tipping $10 upfront, but I doubt that I'd tip $20 upfront.

Instead I'd probably tip for each meal delivered in a reasonable time frame, and then follow-up with a tip for the sleeping car side of the service upon leaving the train. Depending on the number of meals, in your case 3 to 4 depending on just how far you're riding on the Silver Service, I'd probably tip no more than about $40 total for meals and room service, assuming good service overall.

To Spacecadet, normally I start at $5 per night for myself in a roomette and either go up or down from that mark depending on the service. If I'm traveling with someone, then I'll probably start at $7 to $8 and go from there.

That said, I've gone as high as $60 for just one night on the train, but that was for 6 people in two rooms and that attendant really went way out of his way for us, and far beyond and above the call of duty. I've also gone out of my way to tip attendant's who impress me, even if they aren't my attendant. On the trip out to LA for the Gathering I tipped the other sleeper car attendant, because he spent well over an hour of his time in the lounge car pointing out the sights and giving some history of Raton Pass. During the summer, the Rails & Trails gang does this. But at this time of the year, they aren't on this train. So Henry took it upon himself to make the trip more enjoyable for all the passengers, not just those directly in his care.

Hi all,don't post a ton so just a refresher we use the handicapped room and haven't traveled on a sleeper for two years now. I usually tip twenty up front and then depending on the level of service for things like bringing meals to the room, etc. I will add another ten or twenty at the end depending on the way the attendent sees to our extra needs. Over tipping? Under tipping? Do you wait til after the end of the trip or do you tip up front? Thanks for any advice.
Edited to add: We leave tomorrow morning and I'm just so excited to get on the Silver service again! :)
That's a difficult question because what you give is what your believe the service has been worth to you. There is no set amount!

Another factor would be the length of your trip. What you would give on the LSL for instance would not be the same as a Chicago to the west coast run; one is an over nighter thereas the other is a two nighter! Also, with spacecadet's comment about your indicated amount being possibly a little too high, he/she may or may not have been thinking about your being in an H room and having your meals ordered and brought to you by your attendant, and therefore should be considered for more than if you were eating in the dining car.

So as an H room user's suggestion I would say budget for up to $30 for a one nighter (2 or 3 meals) and up to $60 for a two nighter (4-7 meals) but as I said before, tip accordingly - don't feel obliged to meet the budgeted amounts I suggested! And also keep in mind that if you're thinking that the attendants taking too long in bringing your order, it may not be his or her fault!

Whoops! A day late and a dollar short to Alan again! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
And also keep in mind that if you're thinking that the attendants taking too long in bringing your order, it may not be his or her fault!
I definitely want to highlight this part of Joe's post. It is important to take things in stride. Just because you wanted dinner at 5:30, doesn't mean that it's always possible to for them to deliver it at precisely 5:30. One needs to consider the possibility that the train might be making a stop right around that time where the attendant might otherwise be occupied, or a dozen other things that could happen to delay him/her.

Far more important is the overall responsiveness of the attendant, are the meals still reasonably hot when you get them (even if you got them 15 minutes later than you had hoped for), the friendliness of the attendant, and other factors like that.

And also keep in mind that if you're thinking that the attendants taking too long in bringing your order, it may not be his or her fault!
I definitely want to highlight this part of Joe's post. It is important to take things in stride. Just because you wanted dinner at 5:30, doesn't mean that it's always possible to for them to deliver it at precisely 5:30. One needs to consider the possibility that the train might be making a stop right around that time where the attendant might otherwise be occupied, or a dozen other things that could happen to delay him/her.

Far more important is the overall responsiveness of the attendant, are the meals still reasonably hot when you get them (even if you got them 15 minutes later than you had hoped for), the friendliness of the attendant, and other factors like that.
Thanks all. Given that there are three of us in the room, I think that you have all confirmed, given that our meals are being brought, that I'm not too far off. We are the least stressed out people in the world about dining times and usually just tell our attendant that any time between 5-7 for dinner is fine with us. I always have some snacks for DS at the ready. DS and I sleep in the bottom bunk as I frequently bunk with him at home on bad nights. He has nocturnal seizures so I'm no stranger to sharing a twin with him. ;)

I think we've just really lucked out in our four trips on long distance trains and gotten some of the best sleeper attendants. We've usually tipped twenty up front and really had people go way above and beyond in their attention to detail and attention to us. DS is a real train guy and usually boards with his Thomas blanket, his Polar Express book and movie and wearing a train cap. LOL. It tends to make those really great Amtrak employees shine when they see how into it he is.

We are taking the Silver Service from NYPenn to Orlando. We are on the Meteor both ways. :)

Please DON'T tip up front! It sets a bad precedent; tip afterward, as you're departing (unless you're doing so in the middle of the night, when your attendant won't be awake)

I don't tip anyone until the end of the trip and then it depends on the service. Lately on Amtrak I would say the tip amount is zero as the service is usually non existant. Even with good service I would think $5-10 is sufficient unless you have requested some extras like room service, etc., in which case you tip for each event based on the service and/or the value of the meal served. When I took the Canadian across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver the crew changes in route at Winnepeg I think so you would have to tip twice. However, I observed that no one was tipping the car attendants in Canada and they did not act like they expected it so I did not tip them. I don't know if that is correct protocol for Canada or not but that is how it looked to me at the time.

Just a tip for the tipper...I seldom tip "up front" unless it is someone I know will do an excellent job and I want him/her to continue doing so. I have been skunked by going over board up front~ never saw the car attendant after they pocketed the tip and wound up making my bed down and up !!! :eek:

We usually tip $10 per night on the train. If the attendant is extra efficient, personable and keeps the restrooms clean (very important on the Superliners), we will add to that. If we never see him or her, perhaps only $5 or not at all. :)

I think Densgirl has it figured just right.. Tipping in advance works well for her family, and tipping a dollar or two extra will no doubt focus the Amtrak staff on providing good service.. although I myself only tip where it is deserved, I can see the benefeits of alerting staff early on to the possibility of another decent tip at the destination..

Ed B)

I travel alone in a roommette and always have my meals delivered. I tip 5.00 for each meal and then 10 when debarking if the service was acceptable.

Personally if I were in the H room and expecting meal delivery, I might consider tipping $10 upfront, but I doubt that I'd tip $20 upfront.

NEVER EVER tip for service due to disability NEVER!!!!! it is not a service it is a law and a requirement (I was one of the plantiffs in the lawsuit)

delivering the meal is a cheap substitute for making the dining car accessible, now if you can actually get to the dining car and get the service anyway yes an extra tip is good since they are not required to bring meals to anyone who can get to the dining car. One should never tip or even thank someone for service that others can and do take for granted...... it is the principal of the thing. if you ask it means you can not complain if they say no, you tell, politely at first anyway but never ever ask for something you have a right to..

would much rather go to the dining car, the wine tasting, the lounge, the sightseer etc etc etc... the H room looks nice until you have spent 3 days confined to that room only....

you tip for service, that being said I usually base the tip on a starting point of $10 per night and go up or down based on service over or under par. (the recent experience with Shawn on #50 stuck in New River Gorge I gave him $36 for one night, but service was so over the top as I felt I was still under tipping) And I always give the tip as I am getting off the train,

a tip is not required nor is it even expected I think but it is nice to give one and I try unless the service is horrible to give at least something.

Bob

NEVER EVER tip for service due to disability NEVER!!!!! it is not a service it is a law and a requirement (I was one of the plantiffs in the lawsuit)
Alan probably meant what I meant previously, that one tips because of the service as one would a waiter or waitress in a restaurant... and not because the service is disability related!

delivering the meal is a cheap substitute for making the dining car accessible, now if you can actually get to the dining car and get the service anyway yes an extra tip is good since they are not required to bring meals to anyone who can get to the dining car. One should never tip or even thank someone for service that others can and do take for granted...... it is the principal of the thing. if you ask it means you can not complain if they say no, you tell, politely at first anyway but never ever ask for something you have a right to..
Delivering the meal is not a cheap substitute for making the dining car accessible; it's a choice for those who cannot utilize it. I'm one who cannot utilize it and I feel that I have no complaints because I can't and wouldn't complain because they would not make (unreasonable) alterations in the dining car to accommodate me personally! I speak here only for myself personally and not other impared travelers!

would much rather go to the dining car, the wine tasting, the lounge, the sightseer etc etc etc... the H room looks nice until you have spent 3 days confined to that room only....
I guess I would too if it were under normal circumstances! Being confined in the H room though doesn't really bother me that much personally (guess I just like it quiet) and I haven't heard my wife complain either, even though she could wander if she wanted to. That wouldn't bother me! Now this might be because I'm just thankful that I have a means to be able to travel by rail. To the contrary, if I traveled alone, then I would probably be more bothered than I have been so far.

you tip for service, that being said I usually base the tip on a starting point of $10 per night and go up or down based on service over or under par. (the recent experience with Shawn on #50 stuck in New River Gorge I gave him $36 for one night, but service was so over the top as I felt I was still under tipping) And I always give the tip as I am getting off the train,
No disagreements here! I would go as far as to say that I strongly agree! However, I do give the attendant my tip shortly before the train actually stops at my destination. I started this because one time the attendant was so busy at exit time that I couldn't get the tip to him and don't want to repeat it again.

a tip is not required nor is it even expected I think but it is nice to give one and I try unless the service is horrible to give at least something.
Again I absolutely agree with you! As I stated previously "a tip is a personal thing!" Only you can judge what the service you received is worth!

Happy Training; on Amtrak or at a gym! :p

now if you can actually get to the dining car and get the service anyway yes an extra tip is good since they are not required to bring meals to anyone who can get to the dining car.
They may not be required under the ADA laws to bring meals to able bodied people, but AFAIK under Amtrak policy they are required to bring meals to anyone who asks.

However, I do give the attendant my tip shortly before the train actually stops at my destination. I started this because one time the attendant was so busy at exit time that I couldn't get the tip to him and don't want to repeat it again.
When I've taken sleepers, I've tipped at some point when there are no stops between where the train currently is and where I'm detraining. Somewhere, I think I'd read that the attendants tend to be quite busy at station stops (which certainly seemed to be true from my observations at both Chicago and ALB), and that not giving the attendant the extra work of taking a tip from a passenger at that point is nice.

I also tend to think that just double checking that I'm not accidentally leaving anything behind keeps me busy enough at the stop where I detrain.

now if you can actually get to the dining car and get the service anyway yes an extra tip is good since they are not required to bring meals to anyone who can get to the dining car.
They may not be required under the ADA laws to bring meals to able bodied people, but AFAIK under Amtrak policy they are required to bring meals to anyone who asks.
You're probably right about this, but If I were able bodied, had no problem getting to and using the dinner and were not ill, I would feel lazy and guilty for asking for such service! I had to get over that feeling when I first needed to use an H room despite my need being legitimate! Matter of fact I thought that the service was just for the mobility limited because it's specified and looked that way on the Amtrak website. I also thought that attendants routinely would serve if asked because of the potential for extra gratuity and not out of it being required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back