tipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good sleeping car tip?

Tips are a voluntary gratuity to say Thank you. So in reality a "good sleeping car tip" is whatever you decide it is based on the level of service you received. That being said, the usual and customary tip is $10 a day, more if the SCA has provided you with extra special service, such as bringing you your meals in your room or arranging a cab visit at a service stop.

Personally, I've tipped $5 per day for usual service. I've also tipped $10 to $20 per day for special efforts, & once I stiffed the worthless *^%$@# !!!!

Have Fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Tips are a voluntary gratuity to say Thank you. So in reality a "good sleeping car tip" is whatever you decide it is based on the level of service you received. That being said, the usual and customary tip is $10 a day, more if the SCA has provided you with extra special service, such as bringing you your meals in your room or arranging a cab visit at a service stop.
I agree. When I have in room meal service I tip $20 per day.

It varies by traveler. If I have in-room meal service, I tip $5 per meal since that's what I would have given the server in the Dining Car. Then, another 10-20 at the end of the trip depending on the level of service, but if the SCA vanishes, doesn't deliver a paper under the door, etc, I see nothing wrong with giving them nothing. I won't make extra work for them by driving them crazy with the call bell when they DO disappear, but by the same token, I'm not going to tip for no service.

I'm probably easier on Amtrak employees than most travelers (knowing that many times they are overworked in thankless jobs), but when it comes to tipping...let's be honest: we already pay a living fortune for sleeping accommodations and the employees do make a decent salary, so I think the approach that any tip must be earned is a reasonable stance to take.

I agree with all of the above.

I go with $10/night for normal service but also am sort of pleased when I get zero attention - I am perfectly capable of changing the bed over from night to day in Superliner and Viewliner roomettes ... and don't ever do in-room meals, so if the attendant is not around much that is fine with me; I tip less or not at all.

I tip cafe car and dining car wait staff about 20% for decent service - which is most of the time. Same applies in diner whether I am in sleeper or coach, I tip for service received.

Alot of helpful info. I don't want to be too cheap. I think if u have enough to pay for a sleeper what's another 20-30 dollars for good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back