To boldly go ---- to the ends of New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go....

https://www.nywaterway.com/
https://www.ferry.nyc/
The latter one is operated under contract by Hornblower. I particularly recommend the long Rockaway route, next to the free SI Ferry, the best bargain...:cool:
Those cross-Hudson ferries by NY Waterway certainly are expensive, compared to the East River boats. Even an 8-minute trip straight across the river is $9.

Here you go....

https://www.nywaterway.com/
https://www.ferry.nyc/
The latter one is operated under contract by Hornblower. I particularly recommend the long Rockaway route, next to the free SI Ferry, the best bargain...:cool:
Here's some photos from the Rockaway - Wall St. Ferry from a trip I took in 2018.

20180705_173144 (2).jpg

20180705_180241.jpg

You sail out into Lower New York Bay, it's almost like going out to sea.

20180705_180422.jpg

Coney Island

20180705_180704.jpg
Verrazano Narrows Bridge

20180705_182202 (2).jpg20180705_183045.jpg

Actually, I can't believe I did that trip. I went up to NY mostly to ride Amtrak out of Grand Central and have my herring at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. But in one day, I not only rode up to New York, I rode to Croton-Harmon (Empire Service up, Metro-North back), had my herring, bought some books at the Strand Book Store, visited the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn, walked the beach at Far Rockaway, and then rode this ferry back to Manhattan, where I caught the 2 train to get me back to Penn Station and my ride home. I get tired just thinking about it.

Here's some photos from the Rockaway - Wall St. Ferry from a trip I took in 2018.

View attachment 21943

View attachment 21945

View attachment 21946

Coney Island

View attachment 21947
Verrazano Narrows Bridge

View attachment 21951View attachment 21952

Actually, I can't believe I did that trip. I went up to NY mostly to ride Amtrak out of Grand Central and have my herring at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. But in one day, I not only rode up to New York, I rode to Croton-Harmon (Empire Service up, Metro-North back), had my herring, bought some books at the Strand Book Store, visited the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn, walked the beach at Far Rockaway, and then rode this ferry back to Manhattan, where I caught the 2 train to get me back to Penn Station and my ride home. I get tired just thinking about it.
My kind of "trip"...😁

View attachment 21943

View attachment 21945

View attachment 21946

Coney Island

View attachment 21947
Verrazano Narrows Bridge

View attachment 21951View attachment 21952

Let me know when you open your travel-planning business. ;)

Somewhat belated thanks for all the NYC info! It inspired me to run down from Boston to NYP to check out the station and just get out of town. You inspired me to blow some points on an Acela first class trip on the way back. Has been over two years since I flew international and was plied with free booze, so will be an interesting experience. And sort of glad to hear that the meal is upgraded from the box to flex. I'm glad I have 50 or so years of fancy diner meals in my memory box. Meanwhile, staying home and watching the kids grow up has been a silver lining on the whole covid thing.

20ish years ago I was commuting weekly from Stamford to a jobsite in Boston. The company sprung for the new Acela but not first class, so this will be a first for me.

Just passed New Haven. The MNRR red cars look a lot nicer than the ones I used to ride to NYC. But then, we had the MNRR bar car...

Back