To Gathering Sacramento to Chicago by #6 California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I've heard they use the same stuff for the French Toast & the Monte Cristo. I've given up on the French Toast, too. I can't understand why people rave about it. Maybe it takes a very skilled chef to bring it back to life, and I haven't run into one yet.
I had it last week on the Meteor. I'm not a huge french toast person (prefer eggs) but it came out decent. But like any prebaked bread product it has to be finish prepared on board absolutely to the formula or its hard as a rock. The flexible dining pancakes have the same problem.

We had another incident last night in my car. Some nitwit opened the vestibule window in the door and was leaning out the window with a camera as we left one of the stations. He was caught immediately by conductor, who got on the loudspeaker that started "that's how you get put off the train" and continued for a long time, long enough for Greg and the dining car steward to arrive and continue the discussion. Well not a discussion because they didn't stop to let him answer.

photo steam, don't remember which station20231024_144437.jpg

We had another incident last night in my car. Some nitwit opened the vestibule window in the door and was leaning out the window with a camera as we left one of the stations. He was caught immediately by conductor, who got on the loudspeaker that started "that's how you get put off the train" and continued for a long time, long enough for Greg and the dining car steward to arrive and continue the discussion. Well not a discussion because they didn't stop to let him answer.

photo steam, don't remember which stationView attachment 34360
Galesburg…

photo steam, don't remember which stationView attachment 34360
Wonder whether Simply Railway was on that train. 😁

Galesburg (GBB) is a great place to get off. Not only to see the railroad memorabilia but there is an Enterprise car rental within easy walking distance. A few years ago I got off there and rented a car for a week. In that week I drove in 20 states (nearly 3000 miles). Arrived on the EB CZ and left on the WB SWC.

Galesburg (GBB) is a great place to get off. Not only to see the railroad memorabilia but there is an Enterprise car rental within easy walking distance. A few years ago I got off there and rented a car for a week. In that week I drove in 20 states (nearly 3000 miles). Arrived on the EB CZ and left on the WB SWC.
Yes it looked like there might be interesting things there. Nearly all of my travel is by road trip on non freeways. They often follow tracks and I'll turn down a road named railroad or depot or similar. The country is overrun with historic railroad buildings in terrible condition so I'm always happy to see one repurchased for anything at all, and especially happy when it is a rail or local history museum.

Back