Today's Cardinal (50 (28)) down 5 hrs and stopped

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil S

OBS Chief
About 1100 EST it was stopped west of Maysville. Massive line of t-storms has moved through the area with flooding now being reported. Probably trees down. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

It's because of the storm. With continued heavy rain, floods developed, with some floods being flash floods. Also, Severe T-Storms in eastern WV and western VA. I would not be surprised if the train backtracked to CIN instead of waiting to continue on, as there's threats not only from the T-Storms, but also from the floods produced by them.

According to a posting on trainorders, from someone at the scene - Apparently significant pieces of a barn were deposited on the track by a storm. That had to be cleared before 50 could proceed. No one seems to know whether the bovine occupants were deposited with those pieces of the barn or they were left behind at its original location. More likely the latter. Really! Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be further problems, as 50 is now stopped near the CSX yard west of Ashland, KY, 13+ hours behind.

There must be further problems, as 50 is now stopped near the CSX yard west of Ashland, KY, 13+ hours behind.
Perhaps ran out of fuel?? (my speculation based on something I read on FB a while ago).

edit: Per the FB post I saw earlier, Russell was it's next available fueling stop. Just looked up where that is and it's west of Ashland.

51 is 2 hrs late, probably more, into Hinton WV. This might be a record late #50 in a long while!

The latest I can find is #50 being 11:40 late at NYP, arriving at 9:36am on Thursday Jan 31, 2013 (scheduled for arrival 9:56pm Wed Jan 30). Let's see if it can beat the record! :p

Today's 50 was up on the departure board at Baltimore at about 6 this evening with a projected arrival of 5:51 AM Thursday morning. (It is scheduled to arrive at 7:30ish PM on Wednesday.) I might see it go by on my way into work tomorrow.

1:30 EST. Down 15 hrs. Between Prince and Hinton along the New River. Much of the route there lacks even paved road access, especially when the river is running high. . USGS New River gauges show water level still low but headed straight up. Engineer and conductors are presumably getting swapped out somehow but I feel for the onboard crew and any coach passengers still hanging in there.

So here's a question. Now 50 is stopped just south of where the tracks merge near Orange, VA, about 15 hours down. I imagine it was waiting for the nearly-on-time 20 to go by. Would they ever join the two trains together for the rest of the way to NYP, rather than have 50 follow 20 the whole rest of the way, making the same exact stops?

Back