Tom's rail trips #9 - CZ and CSRM - Oct 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siberianmo

Service Attendant
Greetings Rail Travelers!

Time for another installment of my contributions to this forum: St. Louis to Chicago to Sacramento aboard the Lincoln Service/California Zephyr and the California State RR Museum.

Enjoy . . .

Amtrak

Lincoln Service – California Zephyr

October 26th - 30th, 2014

St. Louis to Chicago to Sacramento

Southwest Airlines

SAC to DEN to StL no plane change

Caveat: These reports are “memo’s to file” and are intended for inclusion within my foto albums as a record of my experiences – they are not “blogs.”

Day One:

On Sunday, October 26th, 2014 I departed St. Louis, Missouri aboard Amtrak train #302, Lincoln Service, bound for Chicago Union Station in Business Class. It was there that I made connections with Amtrak train #5, the California Zephyr, where I’d be in bedroom D, upper level, until reaching Sacramento, California on Tuesday afternoon, October 28th.

Consist for the Lincoln Service #302:

AMD-103/PA42 loco #61

Amfleet Business Class/Café car # 48187

Horizon coaches #54543 – 54565 – 54508 – 54511

AMD-103/PA42 #65loco at rear of consist

Business Class had 3 passengers upon departure and reached 12 by the time we departed Bloomington/Normal, Illinois.

Car Attendant xxxx friendly, cheerful, attentive – unlimited coffee & USA TODAY. Sent positive Email.

Weather conditions were cool, cloudy with some sun & dry all the way. I sat on the west side of the northbound train. Was alone in a 2-seat configuration all the way.

A few slowdowns/stops for freight traffic and southbound Amtrak.

Looked as if quite a bit of progress made on upgrade of track for high(er) speed rail.

Uneventful and pleasant journey.

On-time performance for Amtrak #302

Departed St. Louis, MO ON TIME <sked 6:40 AM>

Alton, IL ON TIME <sked 7:25>

Carlinville ON TIME <sked 7:55>

Springfield ON TIME <sked 8:37>

Lincoln 9:07 <sked 9:05> 2 mins late

Bloomington-Normal 9:57 <sked 9:46> 11 mins late

Pontiac 10:26 <sked 10:14> 12 mins late

Dwight 10:41 <sked 10:32> 9 mins late

Joliet ON TIME <sked 11:19>

Summit 11:45 <sked 11:44> 1 min late

Arrived Chicago 12:07 PM <sked 12:20> 13 mins early

The Metropolitan Lounge at Chicago’s Union Station was crowded with the typical noise from cell phone users, etc.

Breakfast pastry and pretzels available along with coffee, juices, soft drinks, etc. No newspapers.

The California Zephyr boarded @ 1:25 PM for a 2 PM departure. Shortly thereafter went to the platform for some snaps. Left my suitcase on lower level for attendant to help lug it to my room up that narrow, winding staircase.

Car Attendant xxxx was an older, very senior Amtrak employee with a very pleasant disposition with willingness to help the passengers. Enjoyed his company and he took care of my needs for ice throughout the journey. Sent positive Email.

Consist for the California Zephyr:

AMD-103/PA42 locos #182 & 173

Baggage car #1163

Superliner Bedroom car #32034

Superliner Coach cars #31035 – 34134 - 34138

Superliner Sightseer car #33009

Superliner Dining car #38004

Superliner Bedroom cars #32067 & 32047 <mine>

“My” bedroom car was the last in the consist!

Departure was delayed 1 hour 26 minutes due to a mechanical issue with the toilet facilities in the bedroom car forward of mine. At first they thought it was a check-valve malfunctioning, but after replacing it apparently there were other issues. An announcement was made about all of this including a statement to the effect that the car had been checked out in the yard, but once the passengers began using the facilities problems ensued.

Room was clean and in good repair. No Route Guide or schedule. Tissues were available. Ample bottled water. No coffee or juice until morning. No newspapers for entire trip.

Shortly after departure there were two annoying announcements:

1. The attendant for the coaches made a very insulting “all car” announcement regarding the use and care of the toilets – she finally stopped after being overridden (twice) by the conductor or assistant. Sounded more like a warden than attendant.
  2. Café/snack car attendant announcing that the service would be closed until inventory could be taken. All due to late arriving supplies. Had to wonder about that one! If the train left on time – did that mean no supplies would be on board? Surely if the supplies arrived before the 2 PM departure time, he should have had ample time to get squared during the 1 hour 26 minute delay.
The train soon altered course to a westerly direction, shared by the Southwest Chief as far as Galesburg, IL. From that point on, we took a westerly route to Iowa.

Got off at Galesburg for my obligatory foto shots – spoke with Isaac. SW Chief was right behind us as they were late in departing as well.

Spent some time snapping fotos through the vestibule window and from my bedroom.

Had dinner in my room.

Spent the remainder of the evening in my bedroom just enjoying the experience and listening to the Royals-Giants game in World Series game 5 – faded in/out. Giants won 5-0.

Not a bad night, but I was up a few times which continued the “norm” for me while traveling by train.

On-tine performance for #5

Departed Chicago, IL 3:26 <sked 2 PM> 1 hr 26 mins late

Naperville 3:57 <sked 2:34> 1 hr 23 mins late

Princeton 5:10 <sked 3:44> 1 hr 26 mins late

Galesburg 6:07 <sked 4:38> off to stretch 1 hr 29 mins late

Burlington, Iowa 7:00 <sked 5:25> 1 hr 35 mins late

Mount Pleasant 7:33 <sked 5:59> 1 hr 34 mins late

Ottumwa 8:28 <sked 6:53> 1 hr 35 mins late

Osceola 9:58 <sked 8:09> 1 hr 49 mins late

Creston 10:36 <sked 8:41> 1 hr 55 mins late

Omaha, Nebraska 12:48 AM <sked 11:05 PM> 1 hr 43 mins late

Bed @ 11 PM CT – comfortable in the room; cooled off during the night.

Day Two

Up @ 5:30 AM MT. Dining car opened for serving at 6 with no reservations required. Sat with a couple from New Zealand heading to San Francisco and their flight home. Also a woman from Chicago heading to Reno for some gambling. All very nice, congenial people.

Turned out that the NZ folks, NZ couple were in adjacent bedroom C. We spent quite a bit of time chatting during the trip.

Denver was chilly, partly cloudy and dry for our 8:50 AM arrival. We pulled into the new facility at Union Station which is primarily used by their light rail system in the renovated station with new modern platforms.

The climb to elevation was filled with all kinds of great views as we switch-backed up the mountains. We passed through the tunnels in the “mountain district” with each emergence providing some splendid scenery. Once through the Moffat Tunnel we were engulfed in snow – not deep – but coming down rather fast and furious with about 3 or so inches on the ground. Spectacular scenery to Fraser-Winter Park where we had a “smoke” stop.

NZ lady had never been in snow and was like a kid at play.

Shortly after departing Fraser, the snow dissipated and before long one would have been pressed to know any had fallen. Good visibility appeared with excellent Colorado scenery all the way for the rest of the day.

Spent the day taking fotos primarily at the vestibule and in my bedroom.

Skipped lunch, as I most times eat only twice per day aboard long distance trains. No reservations required for lunch either. Just the evening meal.

At one of the stops I went up to the dining car to get some ice thinking that my Car Attendant had enough to do without being concerned about me. The LSA essentially read me the riot act regarding my request telling me what his job was and was not and that my Car Attendant was “supposed” to take care of things like that. Bottom line: I got the ice and he got a good piece of my two-cents regarding his rotten attitude and disposition. A negative Email sent.

Had dinner with NZ friends.

Spent the remainder of the time in my room – in bed by 11:15 PM MT.

​On-time performance for #5 cont'd

Departed Lincoln, Nebraska 2:00 AM <sked 12:14> 1 hr 46 mins late

Hastings 3:54<sked 1:47> 1 hr 57 mins late

Holdrege 4:40 <sked 2:34> 2 hrs 6 mins late

McCook 5:48 <sked 3:43> 2 hrs 5 mins late

Fort Morgan, Colorado 7:07 <sked 5:05> 2 hrs 2 mins late

Denver 9:20 <sked 8:05> off to stretch legs – about a 30 minute stop; late arrival 1 hr 15 mins late

Fraser-Winter Park 11:43 <sked 10:07> 1 hr 36 mins late

Granby 12:08 PM <sked 10:37> this is the Rocky Mtn National Park stop 1 hr 31 mins late

Glenwood Springs 3:24 <sked 1:53 PM> off to stretch legs; this is the Aspen stop 1 hr 31 mins late

Grand Junction 5:20 <sked 4:10> off to stretch legs 1 hr 10 mins late

Green River, Utah 7:16 <sked 5:58> 1 hr 18 mins late

Helper 8:40 <sked 7:20> 1 hr 20 mins late

Provo 10:43 <sked 9:26> 1 hr 17 mins late

Salt Lake City 12:17 PM <sked 11:30 PM> 47 mins late

Day Three

Up @ 6 AM PT. Breakfast @ 6:45 with NZ friends.

Enjoyed stretching legs at Reno for a very brief stop as the train was making up time rather well. Blue skies with white clouds and comfortable.

Traveling through the high Sierras was beautiful with sparse snow on the ground around Donner Pass. Took several photos from the vestibule – just beautiful.

Skipped lunch and enjoyed the scenery heading into the valley.

As with last year, we arrived in Sacramento earlier than expected to a warm and clear sky day.

Two crew members shared some disturbing information: Amtrak will be placing the bedroom cars at the front of the consist within the month. This is to be a permanent arrangement ordered by “the suits.” Supposedly has something to do with limited availability of dorm cars – no specifics as he said “they” were not cut into the decision making but he has been urging passengers to let their feelings be known on this planned change.

This is most disturbing news in that I always request and have gotten reservations in the last car. Why in the world would anyone want to spend that kind of money to be placed in a position where noise from the locomotives along with their fumes be most evident? A rhetorical question but one that Amtrak apparently could care less about.

I will communicate with Amtrak, NARP and political reps about this indifference. Amtrak has been doing this kind of thing for far too long – bedroom cars as with business class accommodations deserve a bit of consideration – lost on the “suits.” I have seen the Missouri River Runner lose that preference and now perhaps the final long distance run apparently to go the same way. Enough!

Car Attendant took my heavy bag to platform – gave him $15 for being such an attentive attendant. Said goodbye to NZ friends then made the long trek to the station.

On-time performance for #5 cont'd

Departed: Elko, Nevada 3:56 <sked 3:03> 53 mins late

Winnemucca 6:18 <sked 5:40>38 mins late

Reno 9:07 <sked 8:36> off to stretch legs for a very brief stop 31 mins late

Truckee, California 10:03 <sked 9:37> this is gateway to Lake Tahoe 26 mins late

Colfax 12:10 <sked 11:48 AM> 22 mins late

Roseville 1:23 <sked 12:57>26 mins late

Arrived: Sacramento 1:53 <sked 2:13 PM> - 20 mins early

The Sacramento station is still undergoing massive interior renovation.

Spent the next day at the California State RR Museum within walking distance of my hotel and train station.

End of Report

Some fotos follow with many, many more on my website, including the CSRM – ENJOY!

#1 - State Capitol building, Springfield, IL

​#2 - Something different at Joliet, IL

#3 - Departing Chicago aboard the CZ

#4 - Princeton, IL

#5 - Galesburg, IL

#6 & 7 - Denver Union Station

#8 - Preparing to depart Denver

#9 - In the tunnel district high above Denver

#10 - Emerging from Moffat Tunnel in the snow

#11-15 - Colorado scenery

#16-20 - California High Sierras scenery

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

Nice trip and great pics, thanks for sharing! I just returned from the Gathering in the Bay Area and spent 2 Days in SAC and wish I was there now! The Zephyr is always a great trip!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing report and great pictures! Getting me all amped up for our upcoming Zephyr trip! Thank you so much for all the information but:

a) How did you win the ice fight with the LSA?

b) How did you request the last car (which of course is redundant since it looks like we'll be behind the locomotive!)?

For jimhudson: First - hope your get together went well. I always used to enjoy doing those things once-upon-another-life.

Thanx for commenting!

For oregon pioneer: Thanx for commenting - plenty more fotos on my website.

For bobnjulie: Amped up you should be - it is truly an amazing route. Now to your questions:

a) Essentially by keeping my voice lower than his and pretending that it was no big deal to me, putting him into a defensive state.

b) When it comes to that particular train, I always book it through the Guest Rewards desk and tell the agent up front that if there is no bedroom in

the last car, I will book it another day. Has never failed. And yes, redundancy comes to mind as Amtrak strikes again.

Many thanx for your continuing comments - always appreciated!

Ever notice the "hits" from "comments" ratio? Amazing - then again watchagonnado?

Back