Toronto Rail Fest My trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a link to show pictures from my trip.

http://steve4031.smugmug.com/gallery/19450.../7402357/Medium

The heat was oppressive, and the station had no AC. Thus I had an uncomfortable wait. I lined up early for the check in. I was first in line so that I could guarantee getting a window seat. The Talgo from Vancouver to Seattle is a unique operation. They start boarding passengers about an hour before departure. Before getting on the train, passengers go through U.S. customs, which is in a room in the station. Then the passengers walk down a platform that is surrounded by a high fence on one side, and the train on the other.

I observed the Amtrak employee, an assistant conductor, I think, while I waited. I could see that this was your classic Amjerk. He casually took his time walking over to check us in after we had observed him socializing with the customs agents. After checking in the business class passengers, he started on coach. I handed him a ticket, and stated, “I would like a window seat on the right side, please” If you sit on the right, you see all of the water views as the skirts Puget Sound. The Amjerk said, “Well . . . I don’t know about that, I will see what I got . . . everyone wants to be on that side” I reminded him that I was first in line, and that it could not be that hard. I said, “I don’t understand why you are giving me a hard time.” He said, “well . . . I got to pick on somebody, don’t I?” I said, “Fine. . . Clark, that is the attitude I’m going take when I write my letter to Amtrak to complain about you if I don’t get my window seat.” The Amjerk then pointed at his name badge and said he did not care what I did. When I boarded the train, I did have the seat where I wanted it, but I did not know what this Idiot’s problem was. Throughout the trip, when he saw me, he refused to make eye contact. So I think that Clark and I both know who his daddy is . . . ME!

The other strange part of the Talgo service is that the first sitting of dinner is served before the train leaves the station. For some reason, it is illegal to serve Alcohol while the train sits in the station. Several announcements were made to this effect, but since passengers were boarding the train at different times since they were being filtered by customs, it was a given that passengers would select the first seating and then order alcohol. The attendant was of course irritated, and scolded the passengers for not listening to her announcements. The passengers were considering leaving and returning for the second sitting. I advised them to wait, because the train would be crowded, and then they might get waitlisted for the second seating. Also, the train would be departing in about 15 minutes. If they ate their salads slowly, they could then order alcohol once the train started moving. The attendant must have overheard me. She returned with their salads, and advised them to eat slowly. She seemed relieved when she gave this advice. From then on, her attitude improved, and the service was good.

We were delayed about 45 minutes when the bridge over the Frasier River was stuck in the open position. I had visions of a very long night when the announcement was first made, but was relieved with only a 45 minute delay.

The Talgo train features large, clean windows with comfortable seats. There are TV’s that hang down from the ceiling. The screens show the progress of the train as it moves along the route. There are predicted times of arrivals for the next stop, and for the Final stop, Seattle. This is a neat feature.

The Talgo has single wheel axles that are underneath the connection between cars. Each car is shorter than a normal passenger car. So when you walk through the train, it is like walking through a series of smaller rooms with normal coach seating. The ride is considerably bumpier on jointed rail. The cars bump along, and seem to be slapped from side to side. On some of the improved track in Washington, the train glided along easily out pacing cars on the adjacent I 5.

We arrived about 30 minutes late into Seattle. I had to walk a block from the station to get to the hotel. Seattle was also experiencing a heat wave. I hoped that the Renaissance hotel would be well air-conditioned. The lobby doors were wide open, and the lobby was warm. The lady who checked me in apologized that the hotel was full, and that she only had a smoking room left. I was not impressed.

When I opened the door, I discovered that I had been upgraded to a corner suite. There were two separate rooms. The AC was on full blast. The thermostat read 57 degrees. I was happy. It was now bout 11:30, so I was tired and ready for bed. A quick shower fixed the issue of being sweaty. I slept well.

I spent the next morning maximizing the use of my hotel room. I napped after breakfast, and did not check out until noon. I caught an early showing of I, Robot. When the movie let out, it was about 2:30. I walked around the mall until 3, and then took a cab back to the hotel to collect my luggage to continue on to the station. I arrived at King Street station at about 3:30. It was HOT! The pop machine was working. There were hints about future remodeling, but no current evidence. Boy does this station need it!

The boarding process for the Empire Builder was painless, and I was in room 8 of the Superliner II sleeper, Maryland. The room was clean, the AC was working, and I was happy.

There have been several excellent trip reports on the forum for the Empire Builder, so I will keep this part shorter than the others.

In general, I prefer riding the EB eastbound because you cross Steven’s Pass during dinner, and then spend the next morning passing through Glacier Park. After lunch, you roll across the plains of Montana. For some reason, seeing the scenery in this order is preferable. The plains do not seem as monotonous as the do traveling wb.

The crew provided decent service. Nothing exceptional, but the train ride was still very enjoyable. I was somewhat sad to have the trip end.

The Empire Builder stayed on time for the entire trip. There were no significant freight train delays. In fact, I had only experienced a significant delay on the Three Rivers on the first leg of the trip. And this delay was only about 75 minutes. Thus, I spent two weeks riding trains with no serious delays. That is significant.

Now . . . I ought to get some of my money back since there were no delays and thus no extra time on the train!!!

Thanks for a great report Steve! :)

It was great hearing about the parts of your journey, that I wasn't with you.

Steve4031 said:
Now . . . I ought to get some of my money back since there were no delays and thus no extra time on the train!!!
I'm glad you had such a great trip, but I have to ask if you'd like a little cheese with your whine. ;) Only a railfan would make a statement like this. :lol:

EmpireBuilderFan said:
Steve4031 said:
I'm glad you had such a great trip, but I have to ask if you'd like a little cheese with your whine. ;) Only a railfan would make a statement like this. :lol:
Keep on railroading brother!!! I'll take anything as long its on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back