Tour Groups Get First Opportunity for Dinner Reservations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersummer

Service Attendant
I've heard from several sources that tour groups are given the first opportunity to make dinner reservations. Is there any way that I can use the Amtrak reservation system to figure out if there's a tour group on board? Not that I'll be able to get specifics, but should I see certain sections of train sold out if that was the case? Do tour groups generally travel in sleepers or coach? I'm traveling late August. Tour group bookings would have been made by now, right?

Also, for those of you who have taken Empire Builder, do they take breakfast and lunch reservations? I've heard yes and no.

Breakfast and lunch are first come, first served. However, you will need to go to the dining car and put your name in. When ready, they will call you over the P.A. which you can hear in your room.

In my experience, tour groups are almost always in coach. This should not interfere with your dinner plans.
When we rode the EB several years ago, our sleeper was almost empty when we left CUS. We found out why in the twin cities when at 11:30 at night it filled up with an entire tour group that had been waiting 6-7 hours to board and were really ready to party. We had retired about 9:30 and I never did really get back to sleep that night!

Yes, tour groups CAN have first "priority" for lunch and dinner reservations on the trains. I have experienced this "travesty" myself , on the Zephyr.

I will share one memorable experience. I was westbound on the Zephyr. A large tour group (in coach) boarded at Reno. I thought nothing of it. I was seated in the Sightseer-Lounge car as lunch time approached, prepared to soon enter for lunch.

Well, without notice, this tour group marched through the car to the diner "en masse." I remember some of the members of the group even saying , "I guess we're first to lunch !" I was stunned to say the least. This was at about 11:30 am. It was not until 1:15 pm that the group exited the dining-car ! I , of coursed , "fumed" (along with every other first-class passenger forced to wait.)

By this time the lounge-car was packed with both first-class AND coach passengers wondering when lunch sewrvice would begin for the "other" passengers.

Well, at about 1:30 pm, the dining-car steward had the AUDACITY to announce that seating spots in the diner would be assigned by NUMBER on a "first-come" , "first-served" basis. Thus there was a "mad rush" to charge up to him to place names on the list !!! Many regular COACH passengers got their names on the list before any first-class passengers did !! I was not assigned a "spot" until 2:30 pm !!

Needless to say, I was FURIOUS. The first-class passengers on the train were given NO NOTICE that lunch service would be "delayed" because of a tour group. When I approached both the dinind steward and the conductor about this situation they BOTH replied that the tour group HAD to receive lunch service FIRST because they were de-training early AND that these tour groups provide a lot of "business" for Amtrak.

After my trip I did write to customer relations at Amtrak to complain about the matter. I was offered a small travel voucher.

In my complaint I stated that because both the dining-car steward AND the conductor KNEW in advance that this tour was boarding and that they had to be served lunch quickly , first-class passengers should have been "fore-warned." Another option would have been to offer first-class passengers an EARLY lunch to accomodate them BEFORE the tour group.

The very same situation happened on an EAST-bound Zephyr trip. A large tour-group boarded at Sacramento (bound for Reno) and received "top-priority" for lunch service.

Another option for first-class passengers to consider in this situation is to request "room-service" from the car attendant and to eat in the roomette or bedroom. I am certain the car attendant may "frown" on this , but it is the only way I know to get lunch service at a "normal" time. I should have thought of that option myself---it would have prevented a lot of frustration on my part.

So , YES (on the Zephyr) BE PREPARED ! If you are a first-class passenger , ASK the dining-steward if any tour groups are boarding during the trip and whether or not meal-times for first-class passengers will be effected----AND discuss OPTIONS.

talkrr - I'm sorry about the difficulties you had during your trip. I will be sure to watch for tour groups on my trip and see if I can anticipate possible problems. I have no desire to eat in our sleeper and really want to use the dining car - but if lunch is delayed until 2:30, I might have to consider that as an option.

Yes, tour groups CAN have first "priority" for lunch and dinner reservations on the trains. I have experienced this "travesty" myself , on the Zephyr.
I will share one memorable experience. I was westbound on the Zephyr. A large tour group (in coach) boarded at Reno. I thought nothing of it. I was seated in the Sightseer-Lounge car as lunch time approached, prepared to soon enter for lunch.

Well, without notice, this tour group marched through the car to the diner "en masse." I remember some of the members of the group even saying , "I guess we're first to lunch !" I was stunned to say the least. This was at about 11:30 am. It was not until 1:15 pm that the group exited the dining-car ! I , of coursed , "fumed" (along with every other first-class passenger forced to wait.)

<--- Snipped ----->

So , YES (on the Zephyr) BE PREPARED ! If you are a first-class passenger , ASK the dining-steward if any tour groups are boarding during the trip and whether or not meal-times for first-class passengers will be effected----AND discuss OPTIONS.
TalkRR,

I'm curious as to whether you have had this happen within the last year? :unsure:

Because I for one can't imagine how they can allow this anymore under the new SDS system. The dining car staff simply can't handle that type of load anymore, and the kitchen would be completely overwhelmed with only one cook. The only way that I could see this happening now would be if Amtrak returns the dining car staff to it's full level for that one trip. But that then leaves them with a crew in effect stranded at the other end, so they'd need to be deadheaded back.

And just for the record, that tour group if it's in coach isn't making more money for Amtrak than the regular customers in the sleepers. In fact the subsidy for the tour group in coach is higher than for those in sleepers. So that LSA was wrong!

Wintersummer, you could still be affected by this, since the EB is not on the SDS program.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, tour groups are almost always in coach. This should not interefere with your dinner plans.
More than once I have been the lone non-tour groupie in the sleeper on the Crecent. Seldom do I see tour groups unless it's a pack of school kids just going one or two stops in order to say they rode the train.

IMO, this is yet another example of where the lack of leadership at the top really hurts Amtrak, and makes intercity passenger rail advocates look like fools.

To me, incidents like this happen because some middle manager somewhere has been browbeaten. Someone with control over that individual's job has said, "Take care of those tour group passengers." By the time the message reaches the train crew, the message has become, "Pamper the tour group passengers -- do whatever they want -- or it's your job." If Amtrak had adequate leadership, the tour group would be advised some members might sit at 11:30a for lunch, some at 12:30p, and some at 1:30p. I'm sure SDS only amplifies the whole "tour group at lunch" problem.

Which of course brings up one of my biggest pet peeves about Amtrak dining. Why in the world in this day and age of computers that can suck in and edit HD video can Amtrak fail to see if patrons want to have a meal in the dining car when they purchase a ticket? Why? If you're in Amtrak management lurking here, please offer an explanation! I have on the shelf near this computer an Atlantic Coast Line timetable from 1967. In it is an advertisement for meal tickets one could purchase in advance. If ACL could offer such services in 1967 without benefit of computers like we have today, why the crap can't Amtrak offer gift cards that one could use in the diner -- AT A MINIMUM? Ideally, at the time one makes a coach reservation on Amtrak, one would be given the opportunity to purchase a meal in the diner. Such an approach would help manage the flow of people into the diner. For all we know, it might mean SDS is inadequate for LD trains at certain times of the year, and a different approach (such as running the diners in "the grand manner") might be required. It's called "upselling", people. It's done in every other industry except Amtrak, it seems. As I said, if anyone from Amtrak management is scanning this forum, please attempt to explain to us why. This is a leadership issue, so saying "it's the money" doesn't cut it.

Perhaps it's time for a letter to 60 Mass on this subject.

I have only experienced the "tour group travesty" twice and both times this was on the Zephyr----both directions , and both between Sacramento and Reno. Reno , I am certain , is a popular destination for these tour groups whose itenerary includes (of course) the casions.

If I recall correctly, the incidents occured about 2/3 years ago , before SDS.

An interesting point to consider IS whether or not this type of "practice"can be continued with the SDS in place. I wonder IF the dining-car staff COULD really handles small groups "en masse." Perhaps not.

Another option would be to have small , prepackaged "seat-meals" ready and prepared for these tour group members , who can simply eat at their coach seats. I know these types of meals are served to first-class passengers departing east-bound from Portland on the Empire Builder. I have been served these twice on previous trips and I must admit , both times , they were delicious. So it IS possible.

I can not think of any other situation where a coach passenger would receive "priority" service over a first-class passenger.

I really am interested as to whether this tour-group "practice" still continues on the Zephyr. I certainly HOPE not !!

Thanks for the answer on the time frame. :)

I really am interested as to whether this tour-group "practice" still continues on the Zephyr. I certainly HOPE not !!
I'll let you know if it does, since I'll be on the CZ come Saturday and returning the following weekend.

I'll be on the CZ on Monday, Emeryville to Omaha. I'll report back on any tour group seating also.
What you guys should do, even if there aren't any tour groups on board when you are is as around and see what they say the policy is.

As I mentioned, on both Zephyr trips , the area "effected" was between Reno and Sacramento.

On the first trip , WEST-bound , the tour-group boarded at Renp and I believe the group de-trained at Truckee.

On the EAST-bound trip , the group boarded at Sacramento and de-trained at Reno.

Trip "segments" like this would be very popular to tour companies , I am sure. The trip is all daylight , it is rather short in length , the scenery is especially spectacular , and there is a "popular" destination. It is an ideal situation. So I understand why short trips such as this are very popular. But I am certain the tour provider could care LESS whether or not any of Amtrak's "regular" passengers are effected by the "meal included" aspect.

Also as I have mentioned , with just a little fore-thought the whole procedure can be "tweeked" so that the impact on first-class passengers is minimal.

One of the things that upset me most about my west-bound trip was the dining-car stewards callous decision not to offer first-class passengers FIRST opportunity to enter the diner. I know there were some first-class passengers who did not get LUNCH until very, very late in the afternoon.

"Off-topic" just a little relates to the Boy Scouts who frequent the Chief during the summer months on their way to/from Raton----for the Philmont Ranch, a very popular destination for them. I have been on the Chief during this time and know "first-hand" what that experience can be like. They literally can take-over the ENTIRE Sighteer-Lounge Car for hours and hours. There have been times when I could not find a seat in there because it was filled with scouts----both sitting AND standing ! They have been permitted to even SLEEP in there in some instances. Something could AND should be done to rectify the matter by the conductor.

So this is another situation where groups of coach passengers greatly effect the "opportunity" of first-class passengers to enjoy their trip. It's infortunate.

One trip I was the LSA in the Diner on 5/6. While still in CUS and helping load the diner, some sort of supervisor came on board. He proceeded to pleasantly tell me that I had a group boarding right there in CHI. He explained how they had had a bad experince previously, we were attempting some damage control, and he had given his word that we would get them in the diner as a group. They were traveling in coach. This supervisor gave me his name and card, as assured me that he'd back me up if I received any sort of trouble upon returning home. I can't remember the exact size of the group. I knew it was going to turn ugly at some point. He had me talk to the group leader...a very nice lady...and of course, they all wanted 5:00 dinner reservations. So later on when I went to the sleepers to take reservations with few 5:00's avaiable, I of course ran into one couple in one of the last roomettes I visited who was furious as to the fact that they couldn't get in at 5:00, and a few others that weren't too happy about it. The guy read me the riot act, and was persistent in wanting to know if they were coach or sleeper passengers, and I eventually gave in and divulged...which made him even more angry. At first, he grumpily accepted a later reservation, but he soon marched into the dining car to grouch at me some more. I don't remember the group destination, but I think they were with us for dinner the second night as well. I can't recall for sure, but this was either in the final days before SDS, or one of the first.

Needless to say, the group was VERY happy, so that mission was accomplished. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. I was just doing what I was told.

One trip I was the LSA in the Diner on 5/6. While still in CUS and helping load the diner, some sort of supervisor came on board. He proceeded to pleasantly tell me that I had a group boarding right there in CHI. He explained how they had had a bad experince previously, we were attempting some damage control, and he had given his word that we would get them in the diner as a group.
<snip>

Needless to say, the group was VERY happy, so that mission was accomplished. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. I was just doing what I was told.
Wow. Talk about a "no-win situation"...

I'm not sure how I would have responded if I was placed in that situation. On the one hand, these first-class passengers are paying very real money for the travel experience. They deserve first-class treatment.

OTOH is a tour group company, which may well put lots of bottoms into seats over a period of months. They also deserve some stroking.

Unfortunately, when you have the one service attendant required to prioritize on the fly who's to get the treatment, this sort of thing is going to happen.

Most likely, I would have done what you did, and followed instructions from The Man.

, some sort of supervisor came on board. He proceeded to pleasantly tell me that I had a group boarding right there in CHI. He explained how they had had a bad experince previously, we were attempting some damage control, and he had given his word that we would get them in the diner as a group. They were traveling in coach. This supervisor gave me his name and card, as assured me that he'd back me up if I received any sort of trouble upon returning home. )
I don't blame you, I'd have done the same thing. But "coach tour groups" should never have priority over First Class. Sure give them a single seating....at 7:30 PM not 100% of the most desired times. I think the Amtrak Vice president in charge of tour group Relations should contact the Vice president in charge of first class passengers and work out a standard policy. Seems to me that"some sort of supervisor" was playing "Hero" to some tour leader who most likely did not deserve it. Jim

, some sort of supervisor came on board. He proceeded to pleasantly tell me that I had a group boarding right there in CHI. He explained how they had had a bad experince previously, we were attempting some damage control, and he had given his word that we would get them in the diner as a group. They were traveling in coach. This supervisor gave me his name and card, as assured me that he'd back me up if I received any sort of trouble upon returning home. )
I don't blame you, I'd have done the same thing. But "coach tour groups" should never have priority over First Class. Sure give them a single seating....at 7:30 PM not 100% of the most desired times. I think the Amtrak Vice president in charge of tour group Relations should contact the Vice president in charge of first class passengers and work out a standard policy. Seems to me that"some sort of supervisor" was playing "Hero" to some tour leader who most likely did not deserve it. Jim
Sorry for any confusion with the "some sort of supervisor" thing. I did not intend to be so vague. I hadn't been there long, and I had never met the man previously, so I didn't know who he was...and I don't recall his title. My veteran co-workers knew him, though. Anyway, in my humble opinion, it's a sticky situation with no easy solution. For those of you worried about future travels, these situations don't happen on EVERY trip...but it's obviously more likely in the summer months. I have never dealt with customer service, so I don't know if there is any way to get a "heads-up" for groups on any particular train. I would not suggest fretting about it, though. Like with most things, if you go into it with anxiety and a defensive mood, the outcome is more likely to be not so good.

Sleeper passengers should have priority, yet at the same time, I think the company may highly value the group business. It's so difficult to make everybody happy...in any business.

I do recall the 5:00 seating being the most popular. There was usually at least one party that preferred the later seatings. It was not my lucky day that the group wanted the early seating. I was sweating bullets, as it was my first solo LD Diner assignment. I knew I would be angering sleeping car passengers. Luckily only one was ready to rip my head off.

We need more info on this subject. Is there policy or not? Can some superviser in Chicago pre-empt 1st Class? From what I have read, at least two from this forum will travel soon and hopefully report if they have found "actuall policy". Jim

Let me add a few more comments related to the discussion.

With some common sense , BOTH the tour groups AND first-class passengers should be able to be "accomodated."

In both situations where MY lunch service was delayed due to priority towards a tour group , I was never "fore-warned"-----neither were any other first-class passengers. If I was informed ahead of time to eat a late breakfast because my lunch service would be delayed , I could have accepted that. But this did not occur. I would presume both individuals knew ahead of time. While other first-class passengers STILL may have been upset about a late lunch , at least everyone could have been "fore-warned" so as to be "prepared."

Secondly, regarding the WEST-bound trip , it was clearly the dining-stewards fault to open up seating times to ALL passengers wanting lunch , ignoring the first-class passengers. This action was completely inexcuseable. Offering first-class passengers "priority" certainly would have appeased me at least some what.

These "suggestions" come to my mind:

1. "Forewarn" first-class passengers that a particular meal service MAY be delayed for them and WHY.

2. Offer first-class passengers an earlier meal time than usual.

3. Offer first-class passengers the option of eating in their rooms.

4. Offer the tour-group a "pre-packaged" meal to enjoy at their seats. As I mentioned , I had these on the east-bound Builder out of Portland and they were very good.

Another thing we all have to consider , and it has been brought up already , is that now with the SDS in place, I wonder if it is now even POSSIBLE to offer a larger tour-group immediate service for the WHOLE group with limited staff in the diner. It seems to me this would really complicate matters.

I have only experienced this tour-group "experience" on the Zephyr----and both times only between Reno and Sacramento. The only other similar situation I have had relates to the Boy Scouts on the Chief during the summer months during their trips to/from Raton. Their groups can be quite large and seem to enjoy "clustering" in the Sightseer-Lounge (at all hours) and claiming most every seat.

An interesting thread.

The Coast Starlight is heavy on tour groups this time of year, and I'm riding it north this week, so I'll be looking into the subject as well. Be forewarned: I'll have a trip report.

A few years back I was riding the southbound StarLATE (over 8 hours behind into L.A. yesterday - 5:15 a.m. Saturday vs. 9 p.m. Friday scheduled). When the guy came into my coach to take dinner reservations he took a couple from the front of the car, then turned and started back out. I said, "HEY! I wanna make a dinner reservation!!" "I'm sorry, sir, but the dining car is booked solid." It was the closest I've ever come to flying off the handle at an Amtrak employee. I was really angry, but I know from my own experience in customer service that ranting and raving is counterproductive.

Engaging the guy in discussion, I eventually learned that the reason for the diner crowding was a couple of tour groups. I don't know how the situation might have impacted the sleeper passengers. And the guy finally took my name, told me to come up to the diner around 6, get his attention, and then wait in the observation car. Did as instructed, and lo and behold, I got seated and ate.

So my issue was resolved satisfactorily. Our discussion had been conducted in the aisle by my seat, but nobody else in the car spoke up about wanting dinner in the diner. However, there was another coach behind mine, and the guy never went back there.

Thank you, wintersummer, for broaching the subject.

Finally, to be snide, "perhaps" "TALKrr" should "reconsider" the "ridiculously" "copious" use of "quotation marks." It only "breaks" a "train" of "thought" and "renders" an "otherwise" fine "post" a "chore" to "read."

IMO, this is yet another example of where the lack of leadership at the top really hurts Amtrak, and makes intercity passenger rail advocates look like fools.

To me, incidents like this happen because some middle manager somewhere has been browbeaten. Someone with control over that individual's job has said, "Take care of those tour group passengers." By the time the message reaches the train crew, the message has become, "Pamper the tour group passengers -- do whatever they want -- or it's your job." If Amtrak had adequate leadership, the tour group would be advised some members might sit at 11:30a for lunch, some at 12:30p, and some at 1:30p. I'm sure SDS only amplifies the whole "tour group at lunch" problem.

Which of course brings up one of my biggest pet peeves about Amtrak dining. Why in the world in this day and age of computers that can suck in and edit HD video can Amtrak fail to see if patrons want to have a meal in the dining car when they purchase a ticket? Why? If you're in Amtrak management lurking here, please offer an explanation! I have on the shelf near this computer an Atlantic Coast Line timetable from 1967. In it is an advertisement for meal tickets one could purchase in advance. If ACL could offer such services in 1967 without benefit of computers like we have today, why the crap can't Amtrak offer gift cards that one could use in the diner -- AT A MINIMUM? Ideally, at the time one makes a coach reservation on Amtrak, one would be given the opportunity to purchase a meal in the diner. Such an approach would help manage the flow of people into the diner. For all we know, it might mean SDS is inadequate for LD trains at certain times of the year, and a different approach (such as running the diners in "the grand manner") might be required. It's called "upselling", people. It's done in every other industry except Amtrak, it seems. As I said, if anyone from Amtrak management is scanning this forum, please attempt to explain to us why. This is a leadership issue, so saying "it's the money" doesn't cut it.

Perhaps it's time for a letter to 60 Mass on this subject.
Sam,

I agree with your outrage on this subject and I never realized that ACL or for that matter, any other private railroad did this...and you are right, with PC's they should easily be able to do something like this. Along the same lines, I seem to recall that in the past, when your boarded your sleeper, you were immediately given meal vouchers for all of the meals(they were different colors for each meal) and had the opportunity to fill them out ahead of time (with your name and room number)...you were reminded to bring them along for each meal you came to. I remember our Sleeper Attendant giving them to us after the Conductor took our tickets and then he/she was able to explain the serving times for each meal. I also remember some attendants asking if we would be using them all...I got the idea they were taking a mental count so they could remind their passengers of meal times, and perhaps giving the dining car staff a heads up. Does anyone else remember this? I wonder why they stopped doing it? I know that Sleeper passengers all come from one direction now, but it seemed to me that this was a reminder of having a perk for being in the Sleeping car, and wouldn't it be one less piece of paper that the Dining Car Steward has to worry about?

Along the same lines, I seem to recall that in the past, when your boarded your sleeper, you were immediately given meal vouchers for all of the meals(they were different colors for each meal) and had the opportunity to fill them out ahead of time (with your name and room number)...you were reminded to bring them along for each meal you came to. I remember our Sleeper Attendant giving them to us after the Conductor took our tickets and then he/she was able to explain the serving times for each meal.
Sadly today, Amtrak can't even get the passengers to remember to bring their reservation slips to the diner or wait at the end of the car until being told where to sit. Relying on the passengers to bring along their meal check would simply be too much.

And then there is the fact that all checks today are numbered and the LSA must account for each and everyone of them. Failure to turn in either all unused checks or even unsigned checks in the case of the sleeping car passengers, results in the LSA owing Amtrak $25. :eek:

So most LSA's don't let those checks go very far.

Sadly today, Amtrak can't even get the passengers to remember to bring their reservation slips to the diner or wait at the end of the car until being told where to sit. Relying on the passengers to bring along their meal check would simply be too much.
And then there is the fact that all checks today are numbered and the LSA must account for each and everyone of them. Failure to turn in either all unused checks or even unsigned checks in the case of the sleeping car passengers, results in the LSA owing Amtrak $25. :eek:

So most LSA's don't let those checks go very far.
Fine. This ain't rocket science, folks.

If someone would give me the moral equivalent of a rocket launcher that I could point at the appropriate types of Amtrak management, here's what I'd try.

I'd see if the computer systems could be programmed to spit out meal vouchers on ticket stock after reserving a set time for the dining car. If so, I'd set up meal times in the diner at the time of ticketing, then print out meal vouchers on ticket stock at the same time I'm ticketing passengers. I'd then hold the LSAs to the same standards for these new meal vouchers that conductors are held to for accounting for tickets. Of course, if the trip isn't made, or for whatever reason the meal isn't eaten, the same rules for ticket redemption would apply to my meal voucher concept. This may not be simple enough, but it seems straightforward to me. It doesn't sound very much different than what Amtrak does today with tickets.

Bottom line is this: organize dining car seating the way you organize reservations for train seating. Oops-- I forgot. Amtrak doesn't assign seating in coaches by seat and row number the way DB does. In other words, they can be disorganized now and then. So I guess I'd have to send a few Amtrak employees across the pond to learn how to run that aspect of intercity passenger train service.

Always something, daggumit. Headspace and timing?

If I was scheduled to board the train at 4 p.m. and made a dinner reservation for 6:00 and the train was running 3 hours late, when would I be eating dinner? When I got on at 7:00 p.m. or after the folks who got on with me at 6:00 but had dinner reservations for 7:00?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back