Tourist clings to OUTSIDE of train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chad Vance is the latest poster twit for staying close to the train, even at long stops. Note that he wasn't so distressed by his self-inflicted predicament that he couldn't make a video of himself while it was in progress.

It looked like he was trying to make a video to try to get on one of those reality shows about racing around the world. Looks like natural selection didn't win this one.

I don't know what the fuss is all about. :unsure: :blink:

Zillions of people do this hanging outside the train bit every day for significant parts of their journeys in certain places in the world.

Back in the 70s during a railway strike in India even I had the misfortune of hanging outside the only train that was running from Delhi to Calcutta, the Kalka-Delhi-Howrah Mail, and which was filled to the gills and the rafter. It was only after Kanpur 6 or more hours into the journey that I got some room inside the carriage. Until then its was hanging onto the side of the door for dear life while poles for catenary whizzed by me much too close for comfort. The only saving grace was that the train stopped a lot on the way since nothing else was running.

It happens. But I don't see any reason to make a video about it unless one is into it just for self-promotion. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the fuss is all about. :unsure: :blink:
Zillions of people do this hanging outside the train bit every day for significant parts of their journeys in certain places in the world.
I think the difference here is that the guy was riding al fresco apparently as a result of stupid miscalculation, not necessity or expedience. Surely most of us are aware that riding by hanging on outside due to crowding is common in a number of countries. Offhand, and in addition to scenes of India, I recall seeing many shots of South Africa during apartheid, with hordes of black commuters clinging to trains to and from their segregated townships.

Back