Tracking coach cars reductions from pre-COVID

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
There's a lot of info on this site about long-distance routes that have seen sleeper car reductions since the onset of COVID-19. I was wondering if we could pool our collective knowledge to track coach car reductions from pre-COVID times. For example, I've seen the Lake Shore Limited is up to 6 coaches these days (3 BOS, 3 NYP), but I don't have as much historical knowledge to understand if that's back at full capacity or not.

There's a lot of info on this site about long-distance routes that have seen sleeper car reductions since the onset of COVID-19. I was wondering if we could pool our collective knowledge to track coach car reductions from pre-COVID times. For example, I've seen the Lake Shore Limited is up to 6 coaches these days (3 BOS, 3 NYP), but I don't have as much historical knowledge to understand if that's back at full capacity or not.
LSL in general is supposed to have 2 BOS and 3 NYP coaches. Anything more is unusual. In low season it can go down to as low as 1 BOS and 2 NYP.

Super Star generally is 5. Star and Meteor when running individually are supposed to have between 3 and 4 Coaches each depending on the season.

Super Star generally is 5.
That's a great name! The Super Star. LOL!
Seattle section of the Builder traditionally had a least 2 coaches year round, has been down to 1 for the last couple years, even at the height of summer.

This isn't a staffing issue because a single attendant handles up to two cars.

All correct. They would on occasion put a second coach on for Seattle over the last year or so. But extremely seldom. Despite the fact that Employees who work the EB, me being one of them, along with managers pushed hard for it cause the demand was there.

its clear just how short amtrak is on cars for LD.
Using the sept 2021 data removing the 11 cars in crashes sense they've got 379 superliners in service with 74 out of service. of which California holds 12
that leaves just 367 cars fit for service.

Back