Train #2 is having prob with crews going dead

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train #2 is having probs with the Conductors going dead before they get to NOLA last nite they got relived at morgan city heck i sat at Cade for over 4 hrs the train wasn't even out of Beumont Tx yet.I was only 18 miles from lafayette Yd where we tie up hell i sat looking at my house for 4 hrs that just ticked me off i wanted to go to bed Amtrak passed me at 0200.

BNSF_1088 said:
Train #2 is having probs with the Conductors going dead before they get to NOLA last nite they got relived at morgan city heck i sat at Cade for over 4 hrs the train wasn't even out of Beumont Tx yet.I was only 18 miles from lafayette Yd where we tie up hell i sat looking at my house for 4 hrs that just ticked me off i wanted to go to bed Amtrak passed me at 0200.
:angry: Is there a rule that specifically prohits the operation of a train without a conductor(s)? That has to hurt, to bad you couldnt go home take anap and then come back after 2 passed.

You must have at least one Conductor and one Engineer on board at all times. Now, according to Union rules if a train exceeds 8 cars (I think) there must be at least one Assistant Conductor, if the train is to exceed 12 cars (I think) two Assistant Conductors present (Express and RoadRailers do not count). As for Engineers one Engineer can work for 6 hours by himself if he is to work only one train, or 10 hours if he changes trains, if it exceeds that a Fireman must be on board.

Do they have a minimum amount of time one engineer has to wait before running a second train?

engine999 said:
Do they have a minimum amount of time one engineer has to wait before running a second train?
Yes, there is a 1 hour minimum. Each job spends 20 minutes beyond the scheduled arrival on the clock to tie up and do paperwork. Each job also signs up for duty 45 minutes before departure (40 in the Northeast) to get orders, do a job briefing etc. So there's a 1 hour minimum, but most jobs give at least another half hour for the Engineer to get something to eat, relax, etc.

battalion51 said:
engine999 said:
Yes, there is a 1 hour minimum. Each job spends 20 minutes beyond the scheduled arrival on the clock to tie up and do paperwork. Each job also signs up for duty 45 minutes before departure (40 in the Northeast) to get orders, do a job briefing etc. So there's a 1 hour minimum, but most jobs give at least another half hour for the Engineer to get something to eat, relax, etc.
see where my brain is today i just got called out on the H HOUNWO1-05A for 1245 so i don't know when i will be back lol :lol:

Just out of curiosity Matt, do you guys call signals? If you do that train symbol's got to be a pain to say for eight hours or more. :lol: :blink: :ph34r:

battalion51 said:
Just out of curiosity Matt, do you guys call signals? If you do that train symbol's got to be a pain to say for eight hours or more. :lol: :blink: :ph34r:
No we don't call out signals over the radio but to each other in the cab.Thank god i just have to say the engine # over the radio but sometimes i get crazy and will say the train Symbol. :lol:

I would guess the train started in Houston, Texas and is destined for New Orleans, Louisiana :)

It means that this train is having problems with conductors reaching their maximum allowable hours of service well before the point that they should be due to the delays this train constantly sees.

A Conductor or Engineer has 12 hours to work from the time he/she goes on Duty. So if you go on duty at Noon for 97, you have until Midnight to get to Miami. Should they not get to Miami they are termed, dead on the law, on the law, outlawed, doglawed, dead, toast, done, etc. Once the crew is dead a relief crew must come on duty to take the train in for the remainder of the trip.

I really wish BNSF would take the same hint CSX did a few years back and go with a single letter prefix and three numbers, it's so much freakin easier.

battalion51 said:
I really wish BNSF would take the same hint CSX did a few years back and go with a single letter prefix and three numbers, it's so much freakin easier.
Your on the eastern side which sucks were western :lol: better rules easier to understand :lol: NORAC is a pain in the butt GCOR is easy. :lol:

I actually don't mind NORAC. I'm pretty well acquainted with both CSX Operating and NORAC rules, and they become like second nature once you get used to it. Just like your used to GCOR I might struggle with it since I'm more acquainted with NORAC and CSX Operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back