Train 48 (Lake Shore Limited) consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
We're booked for a trip in May on the Lake Shore Limited (48) in bedroom B in car 4812 from ROC to NYP. :cool: I was under the impression that on the LSL, the sleeper car closest to the diner ended with a "0". (as in 4810)

Since we're in 4812, Amtrak's either added another sleeper on train 48, or I was wrong about the numbering system. Any help? :unsure:

yeah you were wrong with the numbering. just call back and ask if you can be in the 4811 car instead

I think you are correct. My experience has been the first car next to the diner ends in 0 then the next one is 1 and then the third would be 2. So my guess is that you are currently in the 3rd car back from the diner.

Back when Amtrak had stopped running a through section of the LSL to Boston several years ago, there were three sleepers on the NY section, numbered 10, 11, & 12. For reasons unknown, when Amtrak restored the through sleeper to Boston, it pulled the 10 car leaving only the 11 & 12 sleepers on the NY section.

So 11 is closest to the diner and 12 is one car removed from the diner.

Back when Amtrak had stopped running a through section of the LSL to Boston several years ago, there were three sleepers on the NY section, numbered 10, 11, & 12. For reasons unknown, when Amtrak restored the through sleeper to Boston, it pulled the 10 car leaving only the 11 & 12 sleepers on the NY section.

So 11 is closest to the diner and 12 is one car removed from the diner.
Thanks, Alan. I was secretly hoping that Amtrak hadn't added another car to a train that's already too long for many of the station platforms between CHI and ALB, including ROC. I do appreciate those smoking breaks along the way. :cool: After ALB, it doesn't make a lot of difference 'cuz 48 (or 49 coming back for that matter) doesn't stop between ALB and NYP. CRT and POU are listed as stops, but the last time I was on the LSL it didn't even stop in those stations. :( But after ALB, when 49 did stop, at a couple of stations we were looking at anything BUT platform from our car, and had to traipse through several cars to step off. :wacko:

After ALB, it doesn't make a lot of difference 'cuz 48 (or 49 coming back for that matter) doesn't stop between ALB and NYP. CRT and POU are listed as stops, but the last time I was on the LSL it didn't even stop in those stations.
Actually both of those stops are receive/discharge only stops. I'm not sure about the receive side of things, since in theory there can always be a last minute booking, so I believe that they always must stop 49 for both of those stops. However, if the conductor of 48 has no passengers getting off at Poukeepsie or Croton Harmon, then I believe that he doesn't have to stop the train since it can't pick up any passengers.

We're booked on the 448 in mBay to Bos and we have sleeper car 0. I was told that the cars were numbered according to how they split the train to go on to either Boston or NY.

We're booked on the 448 in mBay to Bos and we have sleeper car 0. I was told that the cars were numbered according to how they split the train to go on to either Boston or NY.
Your car number is actually 4820, and it is placed in the train nowhere near the 4811 and 4812 cars. Actually it is about as far away from those as it could be without being not in the train at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back