Train #58

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carol

Just came back from a trip from N.O. to Emeryville & enjoyed every second of it. Was just looking at Amtrak's website to see what the fare would be if I made the trip again either late this year or early next. It appears from their website that you can no longer take the #58 train from N.O. to Chicago. Instead you have to take the train from N.O. to Washington, D.C. & then take the train from there to Chicago. Does anyone know what happened to the northbound #58 train?

Carol

Carol,

Go back to the Amtrak website and redo everything you did before except for this:

In the area next to the date that you want to depart New Orleans there is a box with departure times, change this to noon, 1 or 2 PM. This should then show train 58 as your departing train. If not let us know what dates you are using and one of us will be more then happy to play with the computer and find out what's wrong.

Jamie

Carol said:
Just came back from a trip from N.O. to Emeryville & enjoyed every second of it. Was just looking at Amtrak's website to see what the fare would be if I made the trip again either late this year or early next. It appears from their website that you can no longer take the #58 train from N.O. to Chicago. Instead you have to take the train from N.O. to Washington, D.C. & then take the train from there to Chicago. Does anyone know what happened to the northbound #58 train?Carol
When you put New Orleans to Chicago in the reservation box on Amtrak's site it does indeed show #58. However, when you put New Orleans to Emeryville it only shows #20 to Washington and then #29 to Chicago connecting to #5 onto Emeryville. It is one of those wierd things about the reservation system. I would call Amtrak and talk to a live agent.

Carol, another option would be to take the Sunset Ltd to Los Angeles and then the Coast Starlight to Emeryville.

Only problem is that is a risky connection unless you are staying over a night.

Amfleet said:
It is one of those wierd things about the reservation system. I would call Amtrak and talk to a live agent.
It is weird but easily fixed online if you click on reservations from the main page, then the multi-city trips link. Type in New Orleans to Chicago as your first segment a day earlier than your next segment of Chicago to Emeryville. Then click show trains and it will show the two trains you are looking for and you can get prices from there.

These are the routing choices I got for June 25th:

Choice Service From To Departs Arrives Accommodations

New Orleans, LOUISIANA (NOL) Los Angeles-Union Station, CALIFORNIA (LAX) 11:55am

06/25/04

6:40am

06/27/04

Los Angeles-Union Station, CALIFORNIA (LAX) Bakersfield, CALIFORNIA (BFD) 10:45am

06/27/04

1:00pm

06/27/04

Bakersfield, CALIFORNIA (BFD) Emeryville, CALIFORNIA (EMY) 1:15pm

06/27/04

7:18pm

06/27/04

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Orleans, LOUISIANA (NOL) Los Angeles-Union Station, CALIFORNIA (LAX) 11:55am

06/25/04

6:40am

06/27/04

Los Angeles-Union Station, CALIFORNIA (LAX) Emeryville, CALIFORNIA (EMY) 10:15am

06/27/04

10:02pm

06/27/04

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Orleans, LOUISIANA (NOL) Washington-Union Station, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (WAS) 7:20am

06/25/04

9:50am

06/26/04

Washington-Union Station, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (WAS) Chicago, ILLINOIS (CHI) 5:20pm

06/26/04

10:19am

06/27/04

Chicago, ILLINOIS (CHI) Emeryville, CALIFORNIA (EMY) 2:20pm

06/27/04

5:09pm

06/29/04

Thanks everyone. The way Amtrak changes things, the worst they appear to get. The #58 train comes up when I fill in the multi-trip part of the registration form. Unfortunately, when I try to get prices for a deluxe bedroom, it bounces me back to the blank registration screen. Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying til I get it. God knows, the trip is certainly well worth all the aggravation in dealing with their online site.

Carol

Carol, you could just call 800-872-7245 and talk with an agent, they'll give you the same exact price with less frustration.

The Amtrak phone agents will give you the same price for a specific date, true, but they will not be as willing to search through multiple dates and prices (as I often do online) to find the lowest accomodation price. Also, an extra 5 percent off discount is available with promo code h406 by booking online.

I just tried getting a price for a deluxe room New Orleans to Emy through-trip online w/ the multi-city res form and it worked out. Carol- you might want to try using a different web browser (if you're using Internet Explorer try Netscape, if Netscape try IE, etc.) since it seems like the problem is with your web browser. Good luck.

jccollins said:
I just tried getting a price for a deluxe room New Orleans to Emy through-trip online w/ the multi-city res form and it worked out. Carol- you might want to try using a different web browser (if you're using Internet Explorer try Netscape, if Netscape try IE, etc.) since it seems like the problem is with your web browser. Good luck.
Or at least make sure that you have one of the latest versions of which ever browser you are using. Older versions may have problems with the site.

Hope that helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back