Train 59 CONO trouble.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStrain

Service Attendant
So I was checking the schedule today to see if train #59, City of New Orleans, was on time since they moved it back to the old time schedule today. 59 was also involved in 2 seperate accidents yesterday, one in McComb and one in Independance, LA. The latter resulted in the passengers of the vehicle going on up to meet their maker.

Anyhow....when I called to check this morning, Julie told me that she would have to let me talk to a real person...that person told me that just outside Fulton, KY early this morning train 59 had engine trouble and would have to be towed further by a freight engine. We are supposed to take #59 down to New Orleans this weekend and I am beginning to think that the CONO might be having a run of bad luck. Has anyone ever experienced similar situations with the same route before in such a short time frame???????

Occurences for southbound #59, CONO:

Last week: a garbage truck tried to beat the train resulting in engine damage, one or two cars derailing (not tipping over though). Both men in the cab had to be hospitalized. The garbage truck was obliterated.

Yesterday: A 19 yeard old tried to beat the train at a crossing, where the train clipped the back corner of his car sending it off the tracks and into a dumster.

Also yesterday: Just one hour after the first incident, a middle aged couple tried to beat the train at a rural crossing, resulting in their deaths and their car being split in twain.

This morning, engine on the #59 breaks down.........

I think at any given week there is atleast one accident reguarding Amtrak, and this is just part of life but my advice is to just enjoy your trip and be prepaired for delays but don't stress over it too much

John

We are leaving 20 June, on 58 going to CHI; returning to NOL 22 June on 59. Hopefully without trouble, but.......

We've had to change our plans so mnay times, maybe we're the jinx !!!!

We've already asked about service disruptions, the reason for the trip is for the TRAIN TRIP, don't want to take the bus.

Donna n Paul Scott, La. BNSFmp149.1 Lafayette Subdivision

Operation Lifesaver Louisiana

Me and my mother and my stepfather will be leaving on Friday June 27th going to chicago on #58. and coming back to New Orleans on #59 on July 7th.

I think some of the friendliest employees are on the CONO.....imho atleast.

And John, I fully plan on enjoying the trip. I am bringing 5 newbies along with me, including my wife, and I just want things to be as close to perfect as possible. I know they will love it though and want to ride this way from now on.....makes too much sense not to.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the City is not cursed...the poor people that live or work on the other side of the track are. Let me explain~ a lot of these crossings have nothing but a cross buck protecting them from oncoming vehicle traffic. People get accustomed to crossing the tracks in front of sometimes slow moving freight trains that they think those ditch lights barreling down the track aren't going 79 mph. There has been a lot of population growth north of Lake Pontchatrain. A lot of the Katrina victims moved to towns along the CN right of way in both Louisiana and Mississippi. This is just one persons observation; I don't think it is any more unsafe to ride the City than it is to ride any other LD train that has to traverse crossings at grade.

You're correct about the people living along the track being oblivious. We live along the Sunset route, while we have the occasional idoit, we do not have the record that Tangipoah has. We do have a lot of crossings that have some sort of active warning devices however.

Donna n Paul Scott, La. BNSFmp149.1 Lafayette Subdivision

Operation Lifesaver Louisiana

Natural selection in its standard form.........

Ye be warned oh oblivious people......

No, the City is not cursed...the poor people that live or work on the other side of the track are. Let me explain~ a lot of these crossings have nothing but a cross buck protecting them from oncoming vehicle traffic. People get accustomed to crossing the tracks in front of sometimes slow moving freight trains that they think those ditch lights barreling down the track aren't going 79 mph. There has been a lot of population growth north of Lake Pontchatrain. A lot of the Katrina victims moved to towns along the CN right of way in both Louisiana and Mississippi. This is just one persons observation; I don't think it is any more unsafe to ride the City than it is to ride any other LD train that has to traverse crossings at grade.
Well even with good crossing gates and places where trains run 60-80 on a regular basis. I live in Lincoln, AL along the Crescent's route. Amtrak is allowed 80 through the old part of town. A few years ago it hit a car in the old part of town and flung a pretty big chunk of the car through the front window of a Barbecue Restaurant. This crossing is very safe with good sight distances but there are still quite a few grade crossing accidents.

I love seeing the NB go through here. There is a 60mph curve about a mile before the crossing, when the train comes the gates will go down, then it will come barreling around that curve blasting the horn, the engineer put it in run 8 to speed up to 80, so the train blasts through with a lot of horn, engine noise and ground shaking.

I love seeing the NB go through here. There is a 60mph curve about a mile before the crossing, when the train comes the gates will go down, then it will come barreling around that curve blasting the horn, the engineer put it in run 8 to speed up to 80, so the train blasts through with a lot of horn, engine noise and ground shaking.
Sounds impressive!

Sounds impressive!
Well if the CNO is having trouble you ought to be Metra!

In the last two weeks there have been a number of pedestrians killed, and this morning someone committed suicide on the UP Line near Wheaton IL. I would imagine if you asked around the forum, people from various far-flung communities can make the same kinds of comments. My Wife and I took the CNO in early April and had an "on-time" enjoyable ride both ways! You'll be all-right...enjoy your trip! B)

Sounds impressive!
Well if the CNO is having trouble you ought to be Metra!

In the last two weeks there have been a number of pedestrians killed, and this morning someone committed suicide on the UP Line near Wheaton IL. I would imagine if you asked around the forum, people from various far-flung communities can make the same kinds of comments. My Wife and I took the CNO in early April and had an "on-time" enjoyable ride both ways! You'll be all-right...enjoy your trip! B)
Metra, in my book, is quite unique in letting pax cross over the tracks to get to the other side at some stations. I don't know of too many places where you can do this with the RR's blessing. I know there's probably a few other spots but for the volume of riders, and both pax and freight trains that use these routes, I'm amazed that there aren't many more Metra incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back