Train between Seattle and Pasco?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
I just looked back on one of my favorite memories - my Mom's parents lived in Kennewick (WA) and we spent every Summer there. My grandfather's best friend lived across the Columbia River in Pasco and he was an engineer for Amtrak. My older sisters and I got a special treat once when my grandfather took us to the Pasco station in the afternoon and his friend was the engineer on the train pulling in. While the train was at the station, they hoisted us up (literally one engineer grabbed us under our arms and the other engineer grabbed our hands and pulled us the rest of the way up) into the engine. We got to look at all the controls and see the viewpoint from the engineer. I LOVED IT! And my mom and dad have pictures of us from that day.

But I do remember it was a train on its way to Seattle. This would have been in the mid-70s. What Amtrak line would have run between Pasco and Seattle??

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked back on one of my favorite memories - my Mom's parents lived in Kennewick (WA) and we spent every Summer there. My grandfather's best friend lived across the Columbia River in Pasco and he was an engineer for Amtrak. My older sisters and I got a special treat once when my grandfather took us to the Pasco station in the afternoon and his friend was the engineer on the train pulling in. While the train was at the station, they hoisted us up (literally one engineer grabbed us under our arms and the other engineer grabbed our hands and pulled us the rest of the way up) into the engine. We got to look at all the controls and see the viewpoint from the engineer. I LOVED IT! And my mom and dad have pictures of us from that day.

But I do remember it was a train on its way to Seattle. This would have been in the mid-70s. What Amtrak line would have run between Pasco and Seattle??
That is the former NP mainline. During the 70s, that train would have been the Empire Builder, as the Builder took the ex-NP over Stampede, while the North Coast Hiawatha took the ex-GN over Stevens.

Pasco is still served by Portland section of the Empire Builder, which uses the former SP&S on the north side of the Columbia River Gorge from Vancouver, WA to Pasco.

There is no current passenger service over Stampede, and no plans that I know of.

That is the former NP mainline. During the 70s, that train would have been the Empire Builder, as the Builder took the ex-NP over Stampede, while the North Coast Hiawatha took the ex-GN over Stevens.

Pasco is still served by Portland section of the Empire Builder, which uses the former SP&S on the north side of the Columbia River Gorge from Vancouver, WA to Pasco.

There is no current passenger service over Stampede, and no plans that I know of.

Thank you - not knowing enough about the various LD trains back then, I'd wondered what train it had been!

I took the train back then. It was the SP&S (Spokane, Portland and Seattle). I rode it from Spokane to Portland, but I wouldnt be surprised if there was some other route to Seattle.

Not to sound like UsRail21 :lol: but I'd love to see Amtrak service over Stampede Pass resume. Of course it will never happen, but I'd love to see one more route through Washington open up. I never had the privelege of taking the EB when it was routed through the Yakima Valley and over Stampede Pass, and would love to be able to do so. And I'm afraid hopping a freight might be a bit chilly this time of year. :giggle:

Not to sound like UsRail21 :lol: but I'd love to see Amtrak service over Stampede Pass resume. Of course it will never happen, but I'd love to see one more route through Washington open up. I never had the privelege of taking the EB when it was routed through the Yakima Valley and over Stampede Pass, and would love to be able to do so. And I'm afraid hopping a freight might be a bit chilly this time of year. :giggle:
Don't count it out entirely. There has periodically been talk about shifting the Builder back over to Stampede because it is much more lightly used, whereas Stevens can get pretty close to saturation. Nothing concrete though.

BTW-you don't sound like USA Rail 21. You are talking about a mainline that exists and is currently in service. You don't need to build a brand new electrified passenger only railroad in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Don't count it out entirely. There has periodically been talk about shifting the Builder back over to Stampede because it is much more lightly used, whereas Stevens can get pretty close to saturation. Nothing concrete though.

BTW-you don't sound like USA Rail 21. You are talking about a mainline that exists and is currently in service. You don't need to build a brand new electrified passenger only railroad in the middle of nowhere.
Phew!!! Glad I don't sound like USRail 21!! That's a load off my mind!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, if they did shift the EB, wonder how that would make the good folk of Leavenworth feel, with their new stop now rendered useless??

Well, there is kind of a plan... If the NCH resumes service along the route indicated by the 2009 Service Study, it would travel over Stampede, but this is a huge IF! When even Amtrak says that it will cost over $1,000,000,000 just to make the train function and with all of the stops, you know that you are getting into USrail21_* style plans (the money part, not the actually viability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back