Train Derailment In Glenwood Canyon Delays Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. -- An eastbound Union Pacific coal train derailed in Glenwood Canyon Sunday, forcing the rerouting of Amtrak and other trains.

Click here for details

If it isn't rain and snow it's something else. CZ 12 hours late saturday and 2 on sunday.

denmarks said:
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. -- An eastbound Union Pacific coal train derailed in Glenwood Canyon Sunday, forcing the rerouting of Amtrak and other trains.
Click here for details

If it isn't rain and snow it's something else. CZ 12 hours late saturday and 2 on sunday.
Nothing rare for the zephy! :(

To where is the CZ being rerouted? I wasn't aware there were too many other--if any--lines close by for trains to be rerouted onto.

Supposedly the Zephyr also had some issues witha broken rail recently as well...seems that now all the woes that previously hit the Starlate are now hitting the Zeph.

steve_relei said:
To where is the CZ being rerouted? I wasn't aware there were too many other--if any--lines close by for trains to be rerouted onto.
When the zephyr is re-routed, it heads to the Wyoming line, which will become its permanant home once the tunnel construction begins.

I was on the Zephyr early Thursday morning when we stopped two hours to wait for a broken rail to be repaired West of Salt Lake.

The UP Wyoming line is quite a ways from the Moffitt Tunnel route. The article seems to imply that passengers, such as those at the Glenwood Station, would be bused to a different station, as though another station would be nearby. Or, are they just being bused to Salt Lake or Denver where they can catch the Zephyr?

Also, the Wyoming line reroute will be perminent only during the tunnel construction, after which the Zephyr will return to its regular route.

Is Amtrak not doing anything to help the would-be passengers on the CZ who normally would be boarding and deboarding at the Colorado stops--Granby, Glenwood, Grand Junction, not to mention the stops in Utah (Provo, etc.)? I should think something would be done, or are people just on their own?

Well because the change is planned, and Amtrak can and will give people plenty of notice, they have to option of providing no alternate transportation. In situations where a train is terminated en route, they will usually provide alternate transportation, but other than that, usually no alternate transportation.

I was talking about during the time just after the derailment of the UP train. Something needs to be done for those people who had reservations and/or are waiting at the station and/or are on the train normally expecting to stop at those stations. Does Greyhound accept Amtrak tickets during those times?

I'm sure they accommodated those passengers in some manner whether it was transport to Denver or reaccommodation on the next day's train. I seriously do not believe that they would just leave them with no explination at all.

I was talking about during the time just after the derailment of the UP train. Something needs to be done for those people who had reservations and/or are waiting at the station and/or are on the train normally expecting to stop at those stations. Does Greyhound accept Amtrak tickets during those times?
One word: Bustitution.

denmarks said:
I believe I would pray for the Zephyr to be only two hours late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back