Train down on NEC.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoboi

OBS Chief
I'm on 94 out of Philly right now and we've stopped to pick up passengers from a disabled train about 3 miles outside of 30th Street station. I don't know which train is down... but we're pulling alongside a bunch of Amcans.

It looks like it is possibly 42... which is ironic because I just switched off that train in PHL

If your three miles out you'll be at Zoo interlocking and you'll be able to see the Philly Zoo! Which makes no sense becasue there is no way to transfer pax there. Unless your across the river at Mantua.

My sense of distance may be off. We did cross a river (forgive me, this is not my home Amtrak turf).

We are parked under a road bridge that has a street sign that says Cecil B. Moore Ave.

Yup, got another passenger next to me. It's the 42.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catenary got pulled down on track 2 in Girard interlocking. That stalled 42 and a SEPTA train. The SEPTA train was pulled back into PHL by a diesel. 42 was rescued by 94, which put 94 back by an hour and 20 mins or so into Newark.

Meanwhile HHP-8 657 failed at the head of 127 on track 4 in Newark, blocking track 4 in the middle of evening rush hour at Newark. So all normal Amtrak eastbound track 2 moves (or at least those that made it by the mess in Philly) moved to track A. There were Acelas and Regionals boarding on track A. Passengers of 127 were transferred to 129 and eventually the consist of 127 was pulled back to Hudson Yard by an NJT ALP-46.

94 was running with HHP-8 663 and fortunately it managed to make it all the way to Boston without failing, where it arrived a little after 11pm.

Just east of Stamford there was a period when three Amtrak trains were on three tracks heading east, 148 on track 1, an Acela 2172? on track 2 and 94 on track 4. Before Bridgeport they sorted out into the order Acela first 94 next and 148 behind 94, and continued in that order to New Haven.

Just another usual eventful afternoon on the NEC :)

Wrong railroad that's Septa's mainline to the CCCT. But you were just passed Mantua interlocking. Your were about four miles out. The river you crossed is called the Schyukill.
The river is Schuylkill. 42 was I believe on 2 which had no power in the catenary on account of catenary having gotten pulled down on that track in Girard area. I believe a SEPTA EMU following 42 did the actual pulling down of the catenary, though I am not sure about that.

Wrong railroad that's Septa's mainline to the CCCT. But you were just passed Mantua interlocking. Your were about four miles out. The river you crossed is called the Schyukill.
The river is Schuylkill. 42 was I believe on 2 which had no power in the catenary on account of catenary having gotten pulled down on that track in Girard area. I believe a SEPTA EMU following 42 did the actual pulling down of the catenary, though I am not sure about that.
The other passengers from 42 mentioned a bad electrical smell in the car and that one passenger had an asthma attack from the smell and was being treated.

and all this time I thought the Schyukill was an expressway!

The other passengers from 42 mentioned a bad electrical smell in the car and that one passenger had an asthma attack from the smell and was being treated.

and all this time I thought the Schyukill was an expressway!
There is an expressway with that name. Also referred to in family as the "short kill". It starts at the KOP exit of the PA Turnpike and goes to the Walt Whitman Bridge. The Short kill follows the river most of the way. But is prone to traffic during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back