Train number change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TiBike

OBS Chief
So today I started getting phone calls and emails from Amtrak telling me my reservation for Albany-Chicago-Emeryville-San Jose next month had changed, including a statement with something that looked like credits and debits, and advice that I could call to change or cancel my reservation. I couldn't figure it out -- times and stations all looked the same. So did the dollar amounts. Finally, when I compared my original e-ticket to the new one they emailed to me, I figured it out: the LSL segment was train number 449 on my original ticket, and now it's train number 49.

I'm assuming this is not a big deal, or even a small one :wacko: . But I'm curious: what's it all about?

You were switched from the Boston section, #449, to the New York section, #49. #49 and #449 are the same train from Albany to Chicago, on the east end the train splits and #449/#448 terminates and originates in Boston and #49/#48 terminates and originates in New York.

I got a similar message yesterday. I'll be in Lake Placid for a meeting, driving to ALB and LSL/CZ to Denver and on to COS. My return was originally booked as 448 car 4820/rm 006, they modified it to 48 car 4820/rm004. Because of the platform and track work at ALB, the train will not split at ALB, Boston section passengers detrain and re-board a separate set going East. I'm getting off in ALB so it really doesn't change my trip, but I was reassigned to a different roomette. New e-ticket and receipt to reflect new train number. Same car, one door down. Since the car is the same, not sure why it switched room assignments. This is for early June. We've been talking about the need for the fourth track in ALB, and the second track ALB-SDY for quite a while, nice to see "shovels in the ground"

So today I started getting phone calls and emails from Amtrak telling me my reservation for Albany-Chicago-Emeryville-San Jose next month had changed, including a statement with something that looked like credits and debits, and advice that I could call to change or cancel my reservation. I couldn't figure it out -- times and stations all looked the same. So did the dollar amounts. Finally, when I compared my original e-ticket to the new one they emailed to me, I figured it out: the LSL segment was train number 449 on my original ticket, and now it's train number 49.

I'm assuming this is not a big deal, or even a small one :wacko: . But I'm curious: what's it all about?
probably not a bad switch. Your sleeper will now be MUCH closer to the dining car.

Yep, it's a Looooooong walk from the #448/#449 BOS Sleeper, on the front of the train, to the Cafe and Diner on the back of the train next to the #48/#49 NYP Sleepers!
Sounds like the #421/422 sleeper walk to the diner on #1/#2!
I will doing that for the first time ever next month on the 421/422.

Do they not cut the sleeper in up front? I have heard that sometimes they do, sometimes they do not.

If it is on the back, I assume you have to walk through three coaches (one from the TE and two from SL) and the lounge?

#421 is the Revenue Sleeper from CHI-SAS on #21/#421. It is on the front behind the Transdorm. Its switched with the LAX Coach in SAS ( 2 switching moves) to the Rear of Train #1, then runs SAS-LAX.

Once in a while the #421 Sleeper will be on the rear of the train from CHI- SAS, it changes willy nilly! I've been told its because of the switching crews in SAS and also because of the yard crews in CHI???? Who really knows?

The #422 Sleeper and Coach are on the rear of #2 from LAX- SAS, then Usually are on the Rear of #22 from SAS-CHI!

Last edited by a moderator:
#421 is the Revenue Sleeper from CHI-SAS on #21/#421. It is on the front behind the Transdorm. Its switched with the LAX Coach in SAS ( 2 switching moves) to the Rear of Train #1, then runs SAS-LAX.

Once in a while the #421 Sleeper will be on the rear of the train from CHI- SAS, it changes willy nilly! I've been told its because of the switching crews in SAS and also because of the yard crews in CHI???? Who really knows?

The #422 Sleeper and Coach are on the rear of #2 from LAX- SAS, then Usually are on the Rear of #22 from SAS-CHI!
Sorry, Jim, I was talking about when the cars on the Sunset Limited. I expected it to be on the rear of 22/21.

I thought I had heard they were cutting the Texas Eagle sleeper into the front of the Sunset Limited, but I guess not.

Far as I know the only change to the consist is that the Eagle now has a real baggage car, used to be a Coach bag!

On #421/#422 days it is also switched in SAS to/from #1 and #2.( haven't seen this with my eyes, I read it on some rail site??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back