Train station entrances and escalators

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phase 2 would include using the Mail platform 12 for passengers, and if/when that happens, I can see railfans buying tickets for the first revenue trains to operate from that platform.
If they can get the Empire Corridor trains to become push-pull using maybe a few AEM-7's converted to cab cars, then having them use those platforms would remove at least one set of conflicts between Empire Corridor and NJT.
Not going to happen as the P32-ACDM will have the same issues that the LIRR has with their third rail locos, that being an engineer in the cab car can't tell if they're stopping the train in a place where the third rail shoes would be out of contact with the third rail and paralyze the entire train until they can fire up the diesel engine to move it.

If they're going to turn the train on the platform, they're going to have to use 2 engines.

If they are using the diagonal platform and they keep the P32s on the west end, then they won't even need to go to electric mode. They will be pretty near the opening while standing at the platform. They can actually roll into the platform and then transfer over to electric while stationary.

After all this evolution I was pretty worn out (I'd been walking around all day), so I didn't circumnavigate the station. If I had, I might have discovered the "little former street" mentioned in some of the posts above. I didn't see those posts as they were made after I left my hotel today. So I guess tomorrow I might make another foray over there, if I'm in the neighborhood. And, yes, I have googled for a map and cannot find one. Really, does Amtrak have to make it so hard?
Since you were inside the station at the Amtrak departure level all that you had to do was go to the rotunda where the Amtrak information kiosk is and just go up the stairs/escalator there and the doors that you come to is the entrance in question on the blocked street. The elevator is right there.

Here is a diagram of Penn Station. The blocked street is the one that goes between Madison Square Garden and 2 Penn Plaza. The diagram does not show the old taxi entrance which is right in the middle of that road going into what is marked as Madison Square Garden, and there is an elevator and stairs down to the Amtrak level in the rotunda from there. The elevator is unfortunately not shown in this diagram. Incidentally, this is not Amtrak's diagram, it is one done by Jason Gibbs.
OK, second scouting mission was more successful and I followed the directions above. The "hidden elevator" is right by the KRISPY KREME shop, opposite the Amtrak information booth. If you ascend in that elevator you indeed come to the "little former street" which is now a construction zone. Go to the right after getting off the elevator.

I followed the "used to be a street" (parallel to and between 7th & 8th Avenues) to 31st St. So when arriving at Penn Station for departure one can take a taxi to the "Cafe 31" at 220 W. 31 St. , between 7th and 8th Avenues. This cafe is directly across the street from the walkway to the entrance. Get out of the cab and walk toward the station, past the blue construction walls and trailer. Turn left at the opening between the two buildings (MSG and 2 Penn Plaza), the big building sign says "Pennsylvania Station." Walk about 40 feet and you see a sign on the right for the accessible elevator. This elevator is at the above-mentioned rotunda and the Red Cap desks and waiting area seating are fairly nearby. Ask at the information booth if you can't find them.

If your taxi won't let you out at the cafe, get out at the corner of 31st and 7th, then walk west on 31st to the construction area and turn right. This is a much better route than entering at the 31st and & 7th entrance.

I hope this is helpful to others looking for same information. Thanks again for the guidance in the above posts. I wandered around under the station in the "Hilton Passageway" and other lower regions, the place is a vast maze. I also picked up my ticket, using a kiosk machine. That was very quick and simple, Amtrak has that technology down very well.

As mentioned in my post just above, the entrance from 31st St. is best for people with lots of luggage or in a wheelchair. My taxi let me out right at the cafe, I walked across the street with two wheeled suitcases behind me, then down the "blocked street" and to the elevator. Very easy.

To navigate the escalator to the track I used a Red Cap. He loaded my luggage on his cart and took me down the escalator before the track number was announced. He stood with me as the train pulled in, we waited for the arriving passengers to get off, then he placed my two larger bags on the rack in the coach car. This was certainly worth the tip I gave him, I was on the train well before the other passengers. Thanks again for the maps and suggestions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back