Transatlantic Cruises

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:😱
That's worse than awful.
Isn't such punishment banned by the Geneva Convention?
I am not much of a one myself for dressing up, despite having owned a costume hire business with 4,000 outfits. :D
I found I enjoyed the posh aspects rather more than I had expected to.
I think it is part of the fun, you know it is de rigueur from before you book, so if it is not suitable, pun intended, don't go!

Just my own personal opinion, but I'm not sure why a balcony would be necessary on a trans-Atlantic crossing. Except for port arrival and departure, there's nothing to see but water.** Fresh air is available on upper decks, and most passengers like to line the rails and wave handkerchiefs when entering and leaving ports (or am I projecting myself into 1930s/40s classic movies?).

**Remember the old take on the US Navy recruiting commercial (music, please)..."I joined the navy to see the world. And what did I see? I saw the sea!"
Some of us don’t even get to see the sea. When I was on the Frank Cable I went out on the weather decks every day we were underway. One day one of my Sailors asked me why and I said because I can.

In all seriousness if you can afford a stateroom with a balcony purchase one. Waking up and drinking a cup of coffee or eating breakfast on your balcony with the sun rising above and the sea below is a religious experience.

Some of us don’t even get to see the sea. When I was on the Frank Cable I went out on the weather decks every day we were underway. One day one of my Sailors asked me why and I said because I can.

In all seriousness if you can afford a stateroom with a balcony purchase one. Waking up and drinking a cup of coffee or eating breakfast on your balcony with the sun rising above and the sea below is a religious experience.
Besides, it's fun looking for periscopes sticking up and thinking how big those icebergs used to be in the old days before they shrunk! 😟

I slowly but thoroughly learned about these niceties during my competitive Ballroom Dancing days, and came to own some of the expensive formal wear stuff. They pretty much did not have much use as business wear.

That was not something I expected... But it makes you all the cooler.

For those interested, there is a "Jazz Age" cruise on the QMII coming soon. If I had the money and time, I'd go - and dress up for it.

Back