Transfer of Luggage Between Trains/Checking In Luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icbrkr

Train Attendant
The wife/kid and I are heading to DC next Saturday, leaving from KCY on the Chief to CHI and taking the Cardinal there and the Capitol back. Since all the stops have baggage checks, we figure we will check in our baggage in KCY (and DC on the other side) so there's not much taking up space in the room.

On the way back, we'll have a 6+ hour layover while we wait for the Chief to depart. We figure we'll bum around Chicago for a bit to kill some time instead of hanging out in the lounge. Now the question - where will our bags be? I haven't done the 2 train trip before, it's always been a single train. Do they transfer it from one train to another or does it get handed to me in between trains? And lasty, if that is the case, how soon can I check it in so I don't have to carry it around with me?

--Brian

You can check your bags through Chicago from KCY to DC and back. Make sure to show both tickets to the person checking your bags, so that they know that you aren't stopping (other than for a few hours) in Chicago. Then you won't need to worry about your bags at all in Chicago.

And keep in mind that any carry on bags can be left with the redcap in the special luggage room within the Metropolitan lounge in Chicago. You can drop them off when you arrive into Chicago, then when you return to the lounge prior to the departure of your connecting train you can retrieve them.

You can check your bags through Chicago from KCY to DC and back. Make sure to show both tickets to the person checking your bags, so that they know that you aren't stopping (other than for a few hours) in Chicago. Then you won't need to worry about your bags at all in Chicago.
And keep in mind that any carry on bags can be left with the redcap in the special luggage room within the Metropolitan lounge in Chicago. You can drop them off when you arrive into Chicago, then when you return to the lounge prior to the departure of your connecting train you can retrieve them.
And also bear in mind that the Cardinal doesn't have checked baggage...

They'll go both ways on the Capitol Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back