Transferring to NJT at NWK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWeaver

Lead Service Attendant
I will be transferring from Regional 176 to a NJT North Coast Line train next week at Newark Penn Station. Having never been through Newark Penn, could anyone give me any advice as to where I will need to go to connect to my NJT train? Are all trains on the same level?

CM

Newark-Penn is a pretty big (and busy) station. All of the inter-city and commuter trains are on the same level, but you will probably have to go down to the lobby to change platforms. There are plenty of signs, and you shouldn't have trouble finding helpful staff to direct you should you get lost.

NWK Penn has tracks laid out as follows

Platform

---Track A---

---Track 1---

Platform

---PATH to NYC--

Platform

--Track 2--

--Track 3--

Platform

--Track 4--

--Track 5--

Platform

Amtrak to NYC usually arrives track 2, NJT southbound usually departs tracks. Because 176 arrives in the rush hour, check NJT schedules to make sure the train you're boarding stops wherever you're getting off. After getting off the Amtrak train, there are monitors that list all trains serving the station. To cross tracks, you will have to go down to the station building and walk back up the stairs.

Platform

---Track A---

---Track 1---

Platform

---PATH to NYC--

Platform

--Track 2--

--Track 3--

Platform

--Track 4--

--Track 5--

Platform

Amtrak to NYC usually arrives track 2, NJT southbound usually departs tracks. Because 176 arrives in the rush hour, check NJT schedules to make sure the train you're boarding stops wherever you're getting off. After getting off the Amtrak train, there are monitors that list all trains serving the station. To cross tracks, you will have to go down to the station building and walk back up the stairs.
Thanks for the info, both of you. Although Train2104, I think you may have made a typo and left out which tracks NJT southbound usually departs from. I have planned the trip via NJT's website, and the train does in fact stop at my intended station.

Platform

---Track A---

---Track 1---

Platform

---PATH to NYC--

Platform

--Track 2--

--Track 3--

Platform

--Track 4--

--Track 5--

Platform

Thanks for the info, both of you. Although Train2104, I think you may have made a typo and left out which tracks NJT southbound usually departs from. I have planned the trip via NJT's website, and the train does in fact stop at my intended station.
Yep, I made a typo. Southbound NEC/NJCL is usually 3 and 4, but during the rush hour expect any track to be used at any time for any train in any direction! (except PATH, of course)

Bob,

Track 5 is generally used only by Raritan Valley line trains. Most likely your train will come in on either track 3 or 4. So without regard to wether you arrive on track 1 or 2, you'll have to go downstairs and then back up to the platform for tracks 3 & 4.

Just to give you a bit more bearing on things too, the "diagram" as posted has south on top, north on the bottom, and east to the left.

If you have a smart phone, you should pull up NJT's DepartureVision as you approach Newark as the odds are good it will already be showing your track number.

Bob,

Track 5 is generally used only by Raritan Valley line trains. Most likely your train will come in on either track 3 or 4. So without regard to wether you arrive on track 1 or 2, you'll have to go downstairs and then back up to the platform for tracks 3 & 4.

Just to give you a bit more bearing on things too, the "diagram" as posted has south on top, north on the bottom, and east to the left.

If you have a smart phone, you should pull up NJT's DepartureVision as you approach Newark as the odds are good it will already be showing your track number.
Direct link:

http://dv.njtransit.com/mobile/tid-mobile.aspx?SID=NP And it will have your Amtrak train on it too.

If you have the time, go to Newark's Great Hall. Its isn't as nice as Chicagos, Grand Centrals, or Hobokens... but it is one of the nice great halls still extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back