Transition Sleeper discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explore

Train Attendant
Have transition sleepers returned on any Superliner train, with space sold to passengers? If so, which ones?

I prefer these cars because you know which side of the train you'll be on.

The transdorms are on some trains, not on others. The Builder and the CZ have had some consists with them, some without, with standard sleepers running in the transdorms' car line for the consists without.

The Starlight consistently runs without them, the SW Chief appears to run with them consistently.

AFAIK, any train with them, they are selling revenue roomettes. In short, it's a crapshoot and changeable.

At this point, just be happy you get a room they don't yank out from under you.

I'm going from Chicago to East Glacier in early August, and I see that my roomette is Car 732, Room 17. I've never been in a Transition Sleeper before so I was wondering about a few things:

- Is there a shower in the car? (IDK if this diagram is accurate but I didn't see one: Amtrak Car Diagrams @ CraigMashburn.com)

- If the car's closer to the engine, does the horn noise become an issue?

- If I book a second roomette (the last one available), I guess it's likely to be in the same car?

I'm going from Chicago to East Glacier in early August, and I see that my roomette is Car 732, Room 17. I've never been in a Transition Sleeper before so I was wondering about a few things:

- Is there a shower in the car? (IDK if this diagram is accurate but I didn't see one: Amtrak Car Diagrams @ CraigMashburn.com)

- If the car's closer to the engine, does the horn noise become an issue?

- If I book a second roomette (the last one available), I guess it's likely to be in the same car?
There is a shower in the car, I think upstairs near your room.

There will be a locomotive without a horn and a baggage car between your car and the locomotive with the horn. You'll probably be able to hear the horn, but it's really only an issue if your car is right behind the locomotive with a horn.

I do not know if Amtrak only assigns rooms in the Transition Sleeper after the other sleeper's Roomettes have sold out. I do know that "Only one room at this price" means there may be other rooms besides the one, at a higher price, either in the same car or another car. A good agent should be able to help you get two rooms together if they are available.

Okay, good to know there's a shower. I assume the seating area on the lower level is only for the crew members?

I suspect there is only one roomette left because they had been sold out until the other day, when another one became available. But if an agent can put us together somehow, that would definitely be a plus.

Okay, good to know there's a shower. I assume the seating area on the lower level is only for the crew members?

I suspect there is only one roomette left because they had been sold out until the other day, when another one became available. But if an agent can put us together somehow, that would definitely be a plus.
The Area Downstairs is Reserved for the Crew( there is a Big Open Room that some call the Crew Lounge, but is used by the Conductors as an Office and Storeage, and Bathrooms and a Shower along with the H Bedroom which is often occupied by an OBS Member.)

There are 2 Shower/ Restrooms Upstairs, 1 for the Crew on the end towards the Engine ,and 1 by the Roomettes that are used by the Passengers.

You may, or may not, have an Assigned SCA, sometimes the SCA in the Revenue Sleeper takes care of the Transdorm and sometimes its a Coach Attendant believe it or not!

As the other Posters pointed out, the One Remaining Roomette May or May Not be in the Transdorm, and probably be in a Higher Bucket ( but most likely not Lower).

Call, a good Agent can fix this for you if available!

The Area Downstairs is Reserved for the Crew (there is a Big Open Room that some call the Crew Lounge, but is used by the Conductors as an Office and Storage, and Bathrooms and a Shower along with the H Bedroom which is often occupied by an OBS Member.)
Does anyone have any photos of this area? I’ve heard about the crew lounges for years but I can’t find any info about them, and therefore have no idea what they actually look like.

On the 6 hour late builder on Friday 16 June arrival into CHI. Our Wisconsin conductor failed to offload a passenger from the trans dorm H room due to forgetfulness blaming our room attendant which was dealing with a disaster left from a lady and child whom destroyed a room in the 31 car 2 mattresses destroyed and food ground into carpet and 3 foot high pile of trash. The woman and problem child got on in Seattle and left the train in Minnesota. Leaving a handicapped passenger unable to use the 31 car H room. Therefore forcing them to put a passenger in West Wisconsin to be placed in the trans dorm H. Room. He was to get off in Milwaukee intermodal but after my room attendant raised the issue they had to offload him at Mitchell airport station. If passengers are to be placed in the trans dorm a room attendant should be required not the 31 room attendant they have to get train ready for Chicago for outbound schedule they cannot do that with additional workload. My attendant David was awesome. Conductor not so much

Back