Translation please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Benny

Seen this on Facebook and am trying to learn the language.

"Train 184 (18) with ACS-64 on its first revenue run starts through Perryville MD on track number 2"

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.

Also I found a train tracking map......I see that there are two #5s and two #6s........so it is possible to ride on two different trains both numbered #5 .........If I get off the CZ in Reno......stay two days and get back on the CZ.....its still the #5 but a total different train.....

Thanks

Train #184, that originated on March 18, has one of Amtrak's New Electric Engines, an ACS-64.

As for the two #5s and #6s, these are Long Distance ( LD) Trains that run Daily and take 2 days and nights between Chicago and Emeryville, hence the two trains with the same numbers. This also applies on other overnight LD Trains.( ie #3 and #4, #7 and #8, #21 and #22 etc etc.)

This is why a lot of posters put a date after the train number. That way, you know which train you're referring to which is very helpful if there are multiple trains of the same number running. (e.g. 184(18), 5(17), 5(18)

The date in parentheses is the date that train left its origination point. For #5 a Chicago. For #6 - Emeryville. There can be as many as three #5'a running at the same time -- one in Illinois, one in Western Colorado, one in California.

Also I found a train tracking map......I see that there are two #5s and two #6s........so it is possible to ride on two different trains both numbered #5 .........If I get off the CZ in Reno......stay two days and get back on the CZ.....its still the #5 but a total different train.....

Thanks
Note that you would need two separate tickets to do this, you cannot buy one ticket from (for example) Chicago to Emeryville, get off in Reno and get back on two days later. You would need a ticket from your originating station to Reno and a ticket from Reno to your destination. Once you've gotten off the train in Reno, that ticket is no longer valid.

OK Thanks

Now I am begining to understand. (date) this helped a lot.

Thanks for everyones help

Note that you would need two separate tickets to do this, you cannot buy one ticket from (for example) Chicago to Emeryville, get off in Reno and get back on two days later. You would need a ticket from your originating station to Reno and a ticket from Reno to your destination. Once you've gotten off the train in Reno, that ticket is no longer valid.
Technically you could do that - a stopover for a few days on the same ticket. The pricing would be the sasme as two separate segments, but it could be placed on the same ticket using multi-city ticketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically you could do that - a stopover for a few days on the same ticket. The pricing would be the same as two separate segments, but it could be placed on the same ticket using multi-city ticketing.
Correct, I forgot about multi-city ticketing and that is an option. Whether purchasing a single multi-city ticket or multiple tickets, to do what the OP suggests you'd have to have something showing you are taking one segment from the origination to Reno and one showing you are taking one segment from Reno to the destination.

#totallyshameless

I didn't put it on that page, honest.

Since Wiki is strict about only using photos with permission, simply putting pictures on Flickr with a Creative Commons license means they'll get picked up.

I didn't put it on that page, honest.
Unknown-1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back