Transport Companys' handling of Daylight Saving Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans627

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We will be traveling overnight this coming Sat., 11/9, and that will be when DST ends. Someone will be picking us up in BAL. Will our arrival time as per the schedule be accurate (excluding any delays of course)?

Thx

Since the clocks are turned back an hour the train will just hold for 1 hour at the nearest station during the change. This assumes that they are not already late. When clocks move forward they just try to make up the time and can be late at some stations.

You adjust the schedule for trains that night to reflect the clock change.
Heck most of them are probably running late by some amount anyway. Even if they are not, the hassle of administering alternative timetable for a day is simply not worth it specially in the relatively lose scheduling used for LD trains in the first place anyway. It is really not a problem at all so it does not really need investment of resources for putting an unnecessary solution in place.

Last edited:
Who needs notice? You just program the correct times into the schedule when you put the tickets on sale. The reservation should just always show the correct time. If anything the fact that there is no printed timetable anymore makes this easier to implement but even if there was a timetable you can easily fix this with a footnote that says "the scheduled train will depart an hour earlier than the scheduled time for all stops after XXX station on 11/7/2021."

Do you think airlines just have their planes circle for an hour that night in order to "stay on schedule"?

Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news: as much as we all loved them (and I really do love my collection of national timetables) printed timetables are never coming back and no one outside of a few niche message boards on the internet cares.

Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news: as much as we all loved them (and I really do love my collection of national timetables) printed timetables are never coming back and no one outside of a few niche message boards on the internet cares.
Based on Amtrak's recent history, digital timetables are not coming back either.

You adjust the schedule for trains that night to reflect the clock change.
Can you give an example of a problem your recommendation solves? So far as I am aware this is how it has always been done and it never seemed to be much of a problem during the 0.5% of the year that in-progress trains are affected.

This is the most insane thing I have ever heard.
I would give almost anything for this to be the most insane thing I had ever heard.

The real solution is to get rid of the stupid time change twice a year. Pick a schedule and stick with it.
A Real American solution is to launch a freedom war against clocks and government mandated timekeeping.

A Real American solution is to launch a freedom war against clocks and government mandated timekeeping.

I like it. Let's go back to when every town set noon by the sun over a convenient steeple or town hall. The railroads gaveth time zones and the railroads can taketh away.

BTW, pre-Amtrak the Santa Fe Hassayampa Flyer from Phoenix to Ash Fork/Williams happily left the station on Mountain Daylight Time in the summer, despite Arizona being on Mountain Standard Time. Santa Fe decided it was easier to keep the entire railroad on Daylight time. Caused more than a few (including me) to miss the train.

Since the clocks are turned back an hour the train will just hold for 1 hour at the nearest station during the change. This assumes that they are not already late. When clocks move forward they just try to make up the time and can be late at some stations.
So, all the train will be late for 1 hour when DST begins?

I was on an overnight VIA train some years ago at the change of time. At close to 2 a.m., the train made an extended stop at one station for about 45 minutes after which the train left and proceeded (perhaps at reduced speed -I can't recall) in order to arrive at the next station on time. there was no announcement made and most passengers were asleep and I assume did not notice the extended stop.

Back