Transport Security, CBP Inspection, and State Alcohol Laws

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In New Mexico, you could buy anything anywhere except on Christmas Day and Election Day when humans were on the ballot (no jokes - it was okay for bond questions and amendments, etc.).
When I was stationed in New Mexico there were some "dry" towns, for example Portales which was the location of a university and therefore they didn't want the kids to get their hands on liquor. Didn't work as the kids would just drive into nearby Clovis buy their booze then drive drunk back to Portales.😲

This is actually, even if off topic, a fascinating thread and I've learned a lot.

ASAIK in Illinois (Chicago at least) liquor is OK at self-checkout. Pretty much the only blue period is Sunday morning. Back in olden times, Evanston was dry, thanks to the WCTU and the Chicago side of the dividing street was lined with liquor stores and bars.

The county in Kentucky adjacent to Fort Knox (Hardin) used to be dry due to not wanting to be a party center for the base. Looks like it's a "limited moist" county now.

This is actually, even if off topic, a fascinating thread and I've learned a lot.

ASAIK in Illinois (Chicago at least) liquor is OK at self-checkout. Pretty much the only blue period is Sunday morning. Back in olden times, Evanston was dry, thanks to the WCTU and the Chicago side of the dividing street was lined with liquor stores and bars.

The county in Kentucky adjacent to Fort Knox (Hardin) used to be dry due to not wanting to be a party center for the base. Looks like it's a "limited moist" county now.
There have been tons of jokes made about Moore County, Tennessee since it's consolidated with Lynchburg. Jack Daniel's had a series of commercials showing the people of the town and their relationship with the city-county's most famous product. There was one where they showed the Sheriff and noted that "This guy keeps the county dry." while it then cut to others where "These guys would prefer it a little wet." Found it.

I was a college student in Evanston when states were changing their drinking ages to 21. It was a yo-yo time for some of us. I went to college at 17 when Illinois was 21, returned home to Michigan and could drink at Thanksgiving (November birthday), but not at Christmas. The legislature had voted to raise the age to 21 effective January 1st, but voters decided to raise it immediately. Chicago raised it to 21, with the state still at 19. Since most of the north shore was dry, if we wanted to buy, we just drove to Wisconsin on occasion to stock up.

I was a college student in Evanston when states were changing their drinking ages to 21. It was a yo-yo time for some of us. I went to college at 17 when Illinois was 21, returned home to Michigan and could drink at Thanksgiving (November birthday), but not at Christmas. The legislature had voted to raise the age to 21 effective January 1st, but voters decided to raise it immediately. Chicago raised it to 21, with the state still at 19. Since most of the north shore was dry, if we wanted to buy, we just drove to Wisconsin on occasion to stock up.

Interestingly, I was served in restaurants in Chicago as a teen, even with other teens (mid/late 80's) no questions asked.

In the old days(up to the 70s) you could only buy Beer in Bars and Clubs, No Liquor or Wine, but one could " Brown Bag it" by buying a Bottle @ the Liquor Store and the Joint would sell you "Setups", ie Ice and Mixer to add your choice of booze, and also had "Corkage for a Fee for your Wine if you brought it with you. Private Clubs, as mentioned above,were also around in "Wet" Counties!( you had a Membership and if a local kept your booze in a Locker, if a Visitor you paid a nominal Membership Fee.) The same thing existed in Oklahoma up until the 80s!🤪
We still have beer bars that permit outside liquor and most of our counties are at least semi-wet now. Still no liquor stores open on Sunday though.

The combination of alcohol sales, deli and convenience items was great.
Texas allows stores like that but because we forbid mixing of liquor and supermarkets we can buy Costco liquor without a membership.

If I can take it back to post security issues at airports, there is one way to bring alcohol on board a plane in carry on. As long as it's all under the 100 ml individual size limit and in a quart bag (or whatever limit there is outside the US) one can take mini bottles. [...] It's up to the airlines to determine whether or not they can be consumed by the passenger. The only US federal regulation is that only an airline can serve alcohol on a plane, so if the flight attendant is willing to open it and place it in a cup, that would be legal. Some airlines don't allow it though. Not sure what the rules would be on drinking BYO alcohol in an terminal though.
You can bring enough liquor to get smashed but you still run afoul of US carrier rules that disallow FA's to assist with personal consumption.

We still have beer bars that permit outside liquor and most of our counties are at least semi-wet now. Still no liquor stores open on Sunday though.

Texas allows stores like that but because we forbid mixing of liquor and supermarkets we can buy Costco liquor without a membership.

You can bring enough liquor to get smashed but you still run afoul of US carrier rules that disallow FA's to assist with personal consumption.

California requires membership stores to sell alcohol to all, so anyone can go in and buy alcohol at Costco or Sam's Club. Same for any prescription items, although not non-prescription items behind the counter.

I don't think the big issue would necessarily be whether or not flight attendants would serve, but whether or not people decide to get sloshed themselves.

Back