Transport to Airports

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, back in the day, we used to have 3 express bus routes that ran from Downtown Baltimore and 2 suburban hotels straight to BWI Airport, no stops. They were coach-style buses with luggage areas in the bottom of the bus. They were actually very convenient, more expensive than the usual city bus, but a lot cheaper than a taxicab. Then they built the light rail to the airport, plus the Amtrak connection (which requires use of a shuttle bus) and the direct bus went away. The light rail takes about an hour from my stop, driving (or an express bus) would take about 35 minutes. Basically, when I go to the airport, I use a taxi or Uber/Lyft. The light rail isn't that practical.

I'm sure there are others, but the only direct express bus service in the US to an airport (designed for air travelers, not local airport workers) that I know of are the Flyaway buses at LAX. There's even one that connects LAX with LAUS. Unfortunately, the last time I was at LAX, they hadn't yet started the Flyaway Bus service to Long Beach, so I was stuck using a SuperShuttle, which is a converted 12-passenger van that stops at each rider's destination, thus making the trip much longer than it needs to be, but it was a nice tour of various LA suburbs that I never knew existed. :)

You know, back in the day, we used to have 3 express bus routes that ran from Downtown Baltimore and 2 suburban hotels straight to BWI Airport, no stops. They were coach-style buses with luggage areas in the bottom of the bus. They were actually very convenient, more expensive than the usual city bus, but a lot cheaper than a taxicab. Then they built the light rail to the airport, plus the Amtrak connection (which requires use of a shuttle bus) and the direct bus went away. The light rail takes about an hour from my stop, driving (or an express bus) would take about 35 minutes. Basically, when I go to the airport, I use a taxi or Uber/Lyft. The light rail isn't that practical.

I'm sure there are others, but the only direct express bus service in the US to an airport (designed for air travelers, not local airport workers) that I know of are the Flyaway buses at LAX. There's even one that connects LAX with LAUS. Unfortunately, the last time I was at LAX, they hadn't yet started the Flyaway Bus service to Long Beach, so I was stuck using a SuperShuttle, which is a converted 12-passenger van that stops at each rider's destination, thus making the trip much longer than it needs to be, but it was a nice tour of various LA suburbs that I never knew existed. :)
Two direct airport buses that I have personal knowledge of are in Boulder and Boston. In Boulder I rode a coach style bus directly from the downtown bus terminal to DIA. In Boston there is a service called Logan Express that runs nonstop from suburban terminals to Logan.

Two direct airport buses that I have personal knowledge of are in Boulder and Boston. In Boulder I rode a coach style bus directly from the downtown bus terminal to DIA. In Boston there is a service called Logan Express that runs nonstop from suburban terminals to Logan.
Chicago used to have one that stopped right across the street from Union Station. I used it back in 1985 when I flew from Quad Cities to ORD then transferred to the Broadway Limited. I don't know if it still exists. It was a long distance type bus with luggage compartment under the floor.

RideKC has free rides in the Kansas City metro for the rest of 2023. The KC Streetcar (always free) can take you from Union Station to 12th&Main, then you can walk to 11th and Grand to meet Bus 229 which takes about an hour to get to KCI (MCI).

1688508622022.png

1688508703914.png

(designed for air travelers, not local airport workers)
This is a key distinction. A lot of US airports do have bus service but every time I've looked it seemed they were intended primarily or entirely for airport staff and service workers without luggage. ULCC airlines have made discount air travel the new bus travel but their passengers may need to double or triple their airfare just to reach a US airport. Where I live there are two bus services to the airport. One route comes from the McMansion district, where anything below a Range Rover may as well be an oxcart, and the other from downtown. The downtown location has a plausible use for tourists but would be tedious or expensive for use by residents. There is a park and ride near me but no route to the airport. Reaching Amtrak by bus is even worse.

Last edited:
The Regional Transportation DIstrct (RTD) Rtes AB (Boulder) and AT (Arapahoe - Denver Tech Center) are the remaining lines from the SkyRide network that we launched simultaneously with the opening of Denver International Airport. Rtes AF (Federal Center - Union Station) and AS (Stapleton) were replaced by rail service. Rte AA (Adams County) was replaced by Rte 104L, joining Rtes 145X and 169L as airport worker-oriented services.

SkyRide was successful for two decades by being designed to serve both airport workers and travelers and some coincidental non-airport commuters. Due to the attention given the new airport, and due to its location, we were able to take a number of unusual steps that let it serve multiple purposes.

2015 Sign in Denver Union Station Bus Concourse:
2015 Mar-Apr 052.jpg

SkyRide used highway coaches for basic service. That policy continues on Rtes AB and AT.
P1040100.JPG

Coach USA still serves ORD, MDW, and MKE to several cities in the Chicago Region. Milwaukee, Rockford, Janesville, Madison, etc to name a few. They also are the same company to serve Chicago Union Station through Amtrak ticketing. Looks like they also serve Newark Airport from a few

Landline also serves Duluth Airport to MSP Airport as part of Sun Country ticketing. I was able to just buy a ticket on Landline alone to get to MSP when my Delta flight was hours delayed. I believe they also do the American "flights" between PHL and the other small cities thats too short to fly to.

There used to be a lot more of them...but I believe a combination of intense traffic congestion, as well as more transit services in many places put an end to them.
One of the biggest was Carey Transportation in New York City, which operated between LGA and JFK to the East Side Airlines Terminal, as well as between Newark and the West Side Airlines Terminal, and ran a shuttle linking those two terminals with Grand Central Terminal along 42nd Street. In the '70's, Carey was purchased by the old Greyhound Corporation, which moved out of the terminals, and ran to several large hotels. They eventually sold off their Newark operation, and later still exited the business. The Coach USA schedule I posted above is about all that remains of that, now running from the PABT.

Chicago used to have Continental Air Transport (no relation to the old airline of similar name), between Midway and O'Hare airports to various hotels in the Loop. This company was a descendant of the old Parmalee Stage company that ran horsecars and later buses as the Railroad Transfer Service between all the major Chicago railway terminals. They later sold the RRTS to another old Chicago operatior, Keeshin, and concentrated on the airports. They eventually phased out running buses.

Several other cities had or still have similar, either publicly or privately owned.

The Regional Transportation DIstrct (RTD) Rtes AB (Boulder) and AT (Arapahoe - Denver Tech Center) are the remaining lines from the SkyRide network that we launched simultaneously with the opening of Denver International Airport. Rtes AF (Federal Center - Union Station) and AS (Stapleton) were replaced by rail service. Rte AA (Adams County) was replaced by Rte 104L, joining Rtes 145X and 169L as airport worker-oriented services.

SkyRide was successful for two decades by being designed to serve both airport workers and travelers and some coincidental non-airport commuters. Due to the attention given the new airport, and due to its location, we were able to take a number of unusual steps that let it serve multiple purposes.

2015 Sign in Denver Union Station Bus Concourse:
View attachment 33047

SkyRide used highway coaches for basic service. That policy continues on Rtes AB and AT.
View attachment 33048
Back in the pre-RTD days, besides the Denver Tramway local bus between Downtown and Stapleton Field, a local operator ran Checker Aerobuses express from major hotels to Stapleton. Denver Boulder Bus Company (later absorbed by RTD) ran several local runs from Boulder to Denver's Greyhound Terminal, and then continued on to Stapleton. They also ran express trips from Boulder, nonstop to Stapleton. The local trips in 1973 were only $1.10 all the way to the airport...same as the downtown fee. The expresses cost $3.00. They could not handle any local passengers wholly within Denver city limits.
Continental Trailways also had a few trips between Stapleton and its Denver terminal, which continued on to Colorado Springs and then the Broadmoor Hotel or to Pueblo, including a "Five Star Luxury Service" trip. Again, with a no local traffic restriction.

Back