Transporting furniture inside a sleeper: experiences? rules?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan: It weighs under 50 pounds, and I can carry it on my own. The actual size is more than the 28"x22"x14" guideline (but within the 75 inch guideline for checked bags)-- I've observed that on Superliners, large suitcases could be brought since not all stations have staffed baggage service-- and a ticket to a non-baggage station could be arranged.

Ryan: It weighs under 50 pounds, and I can carry it on my own. The actual size is more than the 28"x22"x14" guideline (but within the 75 inch guideline for checked bags)-- I've observed that on Superliners, large suitcases could be brought since not all stations have staffed baggage service-- and a ticket to a non-baggage station could be arranged.
I don't understand why you don't simply find a packing/wrapping company to put your furniture in an easily handled package. Have them put twine/rope around the package and attach a handle. If it is under 50 lbs, you could put it in the upper bunk easily and take your change of clothes, toiletries, etc in a backpack. Problem solved!

haoleryder and RyanS, that's exactly my conclusion: If something is wrapped like a parcel, then all is good in the land!

That's the lesson I learned, and the lesson I'd pass on to others reading this thread in the future!

haoleryder and RyanS, that's exactly my conclusion: If something is wrapped like a parcel, then all is good in the land!

That's the lesson I learned, and the lesson I'd pass on to others reading this thread in the future!
Not really. Bringing a largish cardboard box as carry-on pretty much violates Amtrak policy in multiple ways. The size of the box is one thing, and cardboard boxes as carry-on is another. You can check it in, but then again it would be out of your control, which seems to be your main concern. It also gets to the issue of whether or not it looks like you're trying to save on moving expenses by using your Amtrak baggage allowance.

http://www.amtrak.com/packing-your-luggage

• Containers must be able to withstand necessary handling and weather elements.
  • Examples of unsuitable containers include (but are not limited to) trash bags, plastic shipping containers, large packing boxes, containers that let sharp/pointed items protrude, or containers that cannot securely hold contents or prevent exposure to weather.
  • All items must contain an ID tag – free tags supplied at stations.
  • Contents must be necessary for wear, use, comfort, or convenience of the passenger for the purpose of the trip; items being transported for business or resident relocation not accepted.
  • Cardboard boxes will only be accepted in checked baggage – boxes must have handles and be adequate for shipping; Amtrak shipping boxes are available for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back