Travel Regrets?What you wish you had done

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
What are some of the things you wish you had done and is now, in most cases, too late?

For me:

1.Not having ridden a Long Island parlor car from Montauk to the City(already mentioned on another post)

2.Not having ridden the FEC from JAX to Miami as a adult(perhaps that can be done, again, someday!!)

3.Not having ridden the 20th Century Liimited

4.Not ridden certain other pre-Amtrak trains

5.Being a "child of my times" and disdaining old heavyweight equipment. The streamliners were "in" when I was a child and I regret none of my streamliner experience, but wish I had ridden and appreciated the heavyweights a little more, esp. when I think about above mentioned parlor cars.

6.Not having ridden in certain pre-Amtrak sleeping car rooms(that may be partially corrected if I go to Canada in 2004)

7.Not having ridden the Sunset Limited all the way from Miami to LA when it did so for a year or two.

8.Never having ridden the former through sleeper from NYC to LA(via New Orleans). In fact in the early days of Amtrak for awhile it even went from Boston to LA, via N.O.) I would have been satisifed just from NYC

to LA.

9.Never having riddenthe "set out" sleeper from NYC-to DC.

I missed out on riding the Amtrak North Coast Hiawatha. When I was about 13 years old, My dad took me to Olympia, Washington on a train trip. We took the San Francisco Zephyr to Salt Lake City, and then the Pionner to East Olympia. I was to return back to Chicago on the Hiawatha, (alone by the way). However, my dad talked me into going salmon fishing on the Pacific Ocean and then fly home due to obligations at home. A year or so later the Hiawatha was canceled during the Carter Administration. I was pissed. In retrospect, if I had really indicated my desires to my Dad, he would have sent me back on the train.

When I was about 13-14, we went to Cali on the City of San Francisco, because the Zephyr was booked. Thus, my only ride on the original Zephyr was between Omaha and Chicago.

When we went to Seattle, we took the North Coast Limited. I don't regret that, but I wish I could have also ridden the Empire Builder.

I wish I could have ridden the Super Chief in it's prime.

I always wanted to ride the C&EI trains when my Grandfather worked for the C&WI.

Not too many regrets, really. I have way too many fond memories.

Wooden Mike, you struck a cord when you said C&EI.. Some of their trains came down my way,i.e., Chattanooga and Atlanta...two of them, the Dixie Flagler(later re-equipped and re-named Dixieland) and the Georgian,are my lifelong favorties. They each originated on the C&EI at the north end, then handled by various other railroads as they went further sotuh..

Of course C&EI had trains that went in other directions, as well.

CHICAGO & WESTERN INDIANA

My Grandfather had an office in the clocktower of the old Dearborn Street Station and I used to hang out there when I was a child.

The pictures of the 1911 Stockholders report and the Rules and Regulations books are mine. :)

Wooden Mike---Interesting about the C&WI connection...I have been trying to find out about a certain car on the Dixie Flagler for years, and a retired gentlemen who had been a messenger for the C&WI has given me the best info I have found yet on my inquiry...kind of a small world...there he was working for C&WI, as was your grandfather, but he was observing other trains as well.

ALso, what was the time period when you were watching the trains at Deaborn?

ALso, any idea of what happened to Dearborn? Does it still stand, i.e. being used in some kind of way, or has it been long since torn down? Any idea?

I have never made any attempt to find it....kind of a bad neighborhood, as I recall.

Being only 16 I can't say I can regret anything yet. But I would have liked to have rode on the Pioneer and Desert Wind out west, plus experience a ride in a Heritage Sleeper, Coach, and Dome (there was one on an Auto Train trip I took with my Mom when I was 9, but she didn't wan't me up there because of all the drunks).

Bill,

My Grandfather's name was Frank E. Beutler, and he used to take me down there in the late 50's-early 60's. Dearborn St. Station was owned by the C&WI, and it's still standing and being used for a variety of businesses!

Railroads:

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe

Wabash

Erie

Grand Trunk

Chicago & Eastern Illinois

Monon

Chicago & Western Indiana

The C&WI was the station's terminal line. The C&WI officially owned the station, but it in turn was jointly owned by the Wabash, Erie, Grand Trunk, C&EI and Monon. The Santa Fe, who operated the greatest number of trains here, was a tenant. The C&EI operated several Florida trains in conjunction with southern railroads.

Disposition: The station was closed in 1971 when Amtrak began operation. The trainshed and tracks were gone by 1976, but the building still remains and is now a shopping mall.

CHICAGO RAIL JUNCTIONS

DEARBORN STATION (PIX)

Bar Louie-Dearborn Station

38_1.jpg

Dearborn Station-information

Information from the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society

Dearborn St. Station-Chicago Landmarks

Vintage Postcard

I hope you enjoy these sites and the information on the Dearborn Street Station!

WM

Trust me, Bill, it was my pleasure!

I've visited the Dearborn St. Station once since it became an office complex, and I'm very glad they have done such a great job of preserving a small part of Chicago's histoy.

I wonder if my C&EI t-shirt still fits.....(I doubt it!) LOL!

Amfleet said:
Being only 16 I can't say I can regret anything yet. But I would have liked to have rode on the Pioneer and Desert Wind out west, plus experience a ride in a Heritage Sleeper, Coach, and Dome (there was one on an Auto Train trip I took with my Mom when I was 9, but she didn't wan't me up there because of all the drunks).
I have to agree with Amfleet plus I have a few of my own:

1) Not taking Club Service on the Metroliner in 1999

2) Not riding the Silver Palm

But the biggest one of all, Not going inside Viewliner 62091 "Eastern View" when it was on my train last February. :(

Well you still can do both of those in a way. The Palmetto follows the same route as the Silver Palm, but does not have a Sleeping Car or Diner, just Business Class and Coach plus a Lounge. Also you still have the option of taking Metroliner in First Class, a renamed Club Class. :)

Amfleet said:
Well you still can do both of those in a way. The Palmetto follows the same route as the Silver Palm, but does not have a Sleeping Car or Diner, just Business Class and Coach plus a Lounge. Also you still have the option of taking Metroliner in First Class, a renamed Club Class. :)
I know about the Metroliner, and Palmetto, but regret not riding "The Silver Palm' with its diner and Viewliner. Hopefully by the time I'm working, which is still years away, The "Silver Palm" will be back.

Any estimates on a return of the "Silver Palm" ?

Viewliner said:
Any estimates on a return of the "Silver Palm" ?
I haven't heard anything yet. However, I really wouldn't expect to hear any news for at least another month. If David Gunn thinks that he's got enough Superliner equipment fixed, he would most likely wait till the April timetable change to bring back the Palm.

Viewliner said:
Thanks, as confident as I am in Gunn, I expect more along the lines of December.
Well I don't really expect the Palm to come back in April either. I'm merely suggesting that it won't happen until then. If the Palm is to ever come back, I suspect that a more realistic estimate would be to see it return with the fall timetable change.

This way both the summer rush would be over, and you've given Beach Grove over 9 months to turn out some cars. I doubt though that you'd see a return in December of this year. Remember that they prefer to make major changes like this when the issue a new timetable. This makes it easier for the non-railfan public to figure out what's going on.

I hope it does come back, however I would rather like to see it named "Silver Comet". One of the original names from the '50's. Who's ever seen a silver palm leaf? :unsure:

Amfleet said:
I hope it does come back, however I would rather like to see it named "Silver Comet". One of the original names from the '50's. Who's ever seen a silver palm leaf? :unsure:
I disagree, its what the public is used to as well as me. Plus the "Palm" is in the spirit of Florida and the Palm Beaches (Like WPB, which it also serves). Its also an easier transition for those non-railfans who won't know from the Silver Comet like us.

I really hope Bill can provide more of a background on that train.

Amfleet said:
Well, I think Silver Comet fits better with Silver Meteor and Silver Star, but hey we all have different opinions.
Historically yes, but I don't believe that train has run under Amtrak, and since you have a non-railfan population riding your train as well, you've got to think in terms of them. Its an easy transition between Palmetto and Silver Palm, which people are used to. I think if "Silver Comet" were applied to a train, it would be best suited as a fourth Silver Service Train to run via the FEC (Yes I know I'm dreaming in both FEC Service, and enough Viewliners for a fourth train). Maybe a Silver Star/Silver Comet or Silver Meteor/Silver Comet Combine more realistically for the Section of one of those trains terminating in Tampa.

The Silver Comet ran NY-DC-Richmond-ATL-BHM. It never ran under Amtrak.....it was discotinued I THINK about 1969. The "first" train was the Silver Meteor(1939, and always the better equipped), then the Silver Star began about 1947 and the Silver Comet began about the same time, 1947. or so.

The Silver Comet s considered the third in quality of the three.

Much(itf not all) of the track between ATl and BHM has been torn up ( it is a different route from what ther Crescent uses, obviously) and is now called the "Silver Comet trail" and is used by byclists, hikers, etc.

They were named "Silver" after the use of unpainted stainless steel----which was then a novelty----not the standard as it is today. A silver train was really unique in 1939.

Bill Haithcoat said:
They were named "Silver" after the use of unpainted stainless steel----which was then a novelty----not the standard as it is today. A silver train was really unique in 1939.
Which raises an interesting point Bill.

The Auto Train has been nicknamed the "Snowbird Express", since many seniors use it to and from Florida for the winter season.

Perhaps in part because of that, there are many who think that Amtrak named it’s Florida trains the “Silver Service” because of the amount of senior citizens who ride to and from Florida.

In fact I’m continuously amazed at how many people think that Senior’s are the reason that Amtrak's "Silver Service" is named thus.

"Senile Palm"? :unsure:

Ouch! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Bring back the "Phobe Snow" and the "Powhattan Arrow"!

Here are some GREAT train paintings!!! ENJOY!

Railart by Robert West

WoodenMike said:
Bring back the "Phobe Snow" and the "Powhattan Arrow"!
WM,

I never got to ride the Phoebe Snow in revenue service. However I did get a short ride in one of the restored coaches pulled by an E8 (I think) two years ago. One of the local historical societies in NJ was running short excursions at a try transit festival in Hoboken, NJ.

In addition to a talk on the history of the train & cars, they also had several women modeling the historically correct attire that was used in the advertisements over the course of some 40 years. In an effort to convince people that the trains were clean, since they were pulled by diesel, Phoebe always wore white in the ads.

Sadly three days after that excursion faded back into history upon pulling out of the Terminal, the World Trade Center also visible from Hoboken Terminal, faded into history forever along with Phoebe. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back