Travel Regrets?What you wish you had done

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALanB, thanks for letting me know about that misunderstanding about Silver Service. I never knew that.

Just for the historical record, a lot of "snowbirds" used the trains(esp. sleeping cars) in the old days from NY-and Boston-area to Florida; from Chicago to Florida and from the Detroit,Cleveland, Buffalo, Cinncinatii area to Florida.

A hypothetical train which had, say, three sleepers in the summer might have 6 or 7 in the winter.The winter season ran from Dec. 16 through April 24, on most roads. Guess it sort of got started with the Xmas rush.

Further more, speaking about snowbirding now, there were even whole extra trains, usually pullman only, in the winter from the above named cities to Florida, esp. from NYC to FLorida. Alll about "snowbirding"..

Have you ever heard the song "Orange BLossom Special"? That was a snowbird train, SAL, from NYC to Florida...actually quite different from the kind of train one might imagine it to have been from the words of the song.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Have you ever heard the song "Orange BLossom Special"? That was a snowbird train, SAL, from NYC to Florida...actually quite different from the kind of train one might imagine it to have been from the words of the song.
Bill,

No, I don't think that I've ever heard that song.

However on my recent trip, I did get a picture of a rail car sitting along side the old Jacksonville Terminal. The car was from the Seaboard Coast Line and the name on the side of the car was the "Orange Blossom Special".

While the terminal no longer sees any train sadly, :( at least the building still stands :) and is in use as a convenion center.

"Riding on the City of New Orleans....."

I won a contest on the Zephyr once, naming railroad songs!

Anybody got any favorites?

Wooden Mike---about Robert West's webside. He does have beautiful photos, I even have one of his "Humming Birds".....however....please note that in the copy underneath some of his photos there are factual errors. Basically he has trains going places they did not go. .....so be a bit careful ...if you have any specific questions, see me....that kind of ruins the beauty of the photo when certain facts mentioned underneath it are false.Yeah, they are pretty...I agree with that.

Wooden Mike---I think my all time favorite was "On the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe". I am told I played it incessantly as a child If you have access to Johnny Rockets, a 50ish hamburger joint, they have nickel juke boxes in there, and if I find that song I put in about three nickels and sit there and listen to it three times...hopefully nobdy ever knows who the nut is who did that.

The Broadway Limited in Feather River Canyon???

Actually, I didn't see a single inaccurate photo in the bunch!

A few innacurate PAINTINGS...

LOL!!! I guess that's "Artistic Licence"! As a modeler, I tend to overlook some historical "flaws"! :rolleyes:

I'll have to print a few of Karen's pictures when I get them, she's a railfan and an artist, too!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Wooden Mike---I think my all time favorite was "On the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe". I am told I played it incessantly as a child If you have access to Johnny Rockets, a 50ish hamburger joint, they have nickel juke boxes in there, and if I find that song I put in about three nickels and sit there and listen to it three times...hopefully nobdy ever knows who the nut is who did that.
Good Idea Bill, thats my favorite RR Song, maybe I'll try that at my Johnny Rockets. :)

Back to Silver Palm as a name----keep in mind that there used to be a train named Royal Palm.....so Silver Palm is kind of a combination of two different train names....resonates with old-timers like me and has a nice ring to it for most people, I think.

I do realize that there is no such thing as a silver palm.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Back to Silver Palm as a name----keep in mind that there used to be a train named Royal Palm.....so Silver Palm is kind of a combination of two different train names....resonates with old-timers like me and has a nice ring to it for most people, I think.

I do realize that there is no such thing as a silver palm.
Good, I'm glad somebody (especially an experienced railfan such as Bill) sees my point.

Silver Meteor

And, click on the link at the bottom for some pictures of drumheads of other trains and links to information about them!!!

NEAT!

Trick Question: When was the name Silver Palm first used? And what route did it run? (You might be Surprised at the answer).

I'll post the answer tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back