Travel to Chicago via Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshP

Service Attendant
For anyone traveling to or through Chicago via Amtrak on or after January 3rd, bring proof of vaccination now is required for indoor dining.

If you are transiting Union Station, no proof will be required in the main areas. However, proof WILL be required in all areas serving food and drinks, including the Metropolitan Lounge and the Food Court.

This announcement came in from Chicago Department of Health

Thanks Josh. I hope to visit CHI in the spring once their weather becomes more considerate of old aching joints.

I'll take CONO when STB finally whups CSX up side their head and approves the twice-daily NOL/MOB roundtrips.

BTW, not only am I fully vaxed, but boosted as well. I also got a Tetnus booster. So, I should be immune to all that CHI-town folks throw at me. LOL

For anyone traveling to or through Chicago via Amtrak on or after January 3rd, bring proof of vaccination now is required for indoor dining.

If you are transiting Union Station, no proof will be required in the main areas. However, proof WILL be required in all areas serving food and drinks, including the Metropolitan Lounge and the Food Court.

This announcement came in from Chicago Department of Health

I'm curious how this will be enforced, particularly in the food court area. Each of the vendors offers take-out options (and most don't have their own seating) so any place that's take-out only won't be required to check for vaccination status. The food court area doesn't really have any feasible way to implement vaccination checks, and even if it did what's to stop someone from going down to the main waiting area to eat food where such checks aren't required?

I'm curious how this will be enforced, particularly in the food court area. Each of the vendors offers take-out options (and most don't have their own seating) so any place that's take-out only won't be required to check for vaccination status. The food court area doesn't really have any feasible way to implement vaccination checks, and even if it did what's to stop someone from going down to the main waiting area to eat food where such checks aren't required?
It can't be enforced. Do whatever you are comfortable with. If you're fully vaxed, fine. If you're not, fine also. Being unvaxed was your decision. But don't expect me to sit next you if I have that choice.

The mandate does not apply to Chicago’s 2 airports so who knows how it will apply to Union Station.

Just to be clear, here's the verbiage on the requirement from OP's link:

Effective Monday, January 3, 2022, the Chicago Vaccine Requirements will apply to the following public indoor places:

• Indoor Dining: Establishments where food or beverages are served, including, but not limited to, restaurants, bars, fast food establishments, coffee shops, tasting rooms, cafeterias, food courts, dining areas of grocery stores, breweries, wineries, distilleries, banquet halls, and hotel ballrooms; and
  • Indoor Fitness: Gyms and fitness venues, including, but not limited to, gyms, recreation facilities, fitness centers, yoga, Pilates, cycling, barre, and dance studios, hotel gyms, boxing and kickboxing gyms, fitness boot camps, and other facilities used for conducting indoor group fitness classes; and
  • Indoor entertainment and recreation venues where food or beverages are served: Including, but not limited to, movie theaters, music and concert venues, live performance venues, adult entertainment venues, commercial event and party venues, sports arenas, performing arts theaters, bowling alleys, arcades, card rooms, family entertainment centers, play areas, pool and billiard halls, and other recreational game centers.

We are taking the zephr out of chicago which leaves the station at 2pm. We are planning on staying in downtown chicago the day before then heading over to the station. Since it's a 2pm train our first meal won't be till dinner. Are there any food options in the station or should we grab some to go from a restaurant. We have a sleeper car ticket so will have access to the lounge but have not found out what kind of foodie items it offers especially with the health issues. Our trip is in early June.

As a reminder, the vaccine card and mask mandate have ended in Illinois and Chicago although still required on transit and where businesses require them.

Which day are you going to be in Chicago? If a weekday plenty will be open around the station but less so weekends. Things may change by June though - lots of new restaurants under construction may be open by then.

We are taking the zephr out of chicago which leaves the station at 2pm. We are planning on staying in downtown chicago the day before then heading over to the station. Since it's a 2pm train our first meal won't be till dinner. Are there any food options in the station or should we grab some to go from a restaurant. We have a sleeper car ticket so will have access to the lounge but have not found out what kind of foodie items it offers especially with the health issues. Our trip is in early June.
The food court at Union Station is mostly fast food Chick Fila and items of that ilk. I hear that there is now a Jersey Mikes which I have not tried but I have heard good things about that chain. The lounge had very limited snacks the last time I was there Sept. 2021. I would grab something from one of the restaurants before you head to the station.

There is a quite a variety of choices right in the area of the station. Have a pleasant lunch, and pick up something light for the time until dinner. If you want, you could drop your bags in the lounge earlier and go outside. If you have any bags you are checking as opposed to carry on do that early as well.

On a previous post with Palmer House in the title, there were many recommendations for restaurants around CUS. Since I originated that post (applause please) I summarize the results here for your edification. ;) Have a great trip!

Chicago Restaurants
  • Russian Tea Time Restaurant
  • Greek Islands Restaurant
  • Shaw’s Crabhouse
  • Joe’s Seafood
  • Shake Shack 316 W. Jackson 2 blks S of Adams
  • Berghoff 17 W. Adams
  • Yes, even the famous Giordano's not far from CUS has both styles. We stopped in for lunch before our last Cardinal trip and, after seeing the deep-dish at the next table arrive, decided that the thin crust was definitely the way to go!
  • Exchequer Restaurant & Pub on S. Wabash.
  • Italian Village which is just a couple blocks from the Palmer House.
  • Miller’s Pub, around the corner, is fabulous for a laid back, casual meal.
  • I BEST thin crust pizzas…..Lou Malnati's.
  • For another throwback restaurant, we like the Walnut Room for lunch. (in Macy’s, formerly Marshall Fields)
  • Manny's Deli: Old school Jewish deli within a reasonable walk from Union Station
  • Portillo's: Chicago hot dogs and Italian Beef sandwiches
  • Revival Food Hall: A great option if people can't agree
  • "Aba" near Fulton Market

And for something to bring home to the family: Garret's Popcorn

On a previous post with Palmer House in the title, there were many recommendations for restaurants around CUS. Since I originated that post (applause please) I summarize the results here for your edification. ;) Have a great trip!

Chicago Restaurants
  • Russian Tea Time Restaurant
  • Greek Islands Restaurant
  • Shaw’s Crabhouse
  • Joe’s Seafood
  • Shake Shack 316 W. Jackson 2 blks S of Adams
  • Berghoff 17 W. Adams
  • Yes, even the famous Giordano's not far from CUS has both styles. We stopped in for lunch before our last Cardinal trip and, after seeing the deep-dish at the next table arrive, decided that the thin crust was definitely the way to go!
  • Exchequer Restaurant & Pub on S. Wabash.
  • Italian Village which is just a couple blocks from the Palmer House.
  • Miller’s Pub, around the corner, is fabulous for a laid back, casual meal.
  • I BEST thin crust pizzas…..Lou Malnati's.
  • For another throwback restaurant, we like the Walnut Room for lunch. (in Macy’s, formerly Marshall Fields)
  • Manny's Deli: Old school Jewish deli within a reasonable walk from Union Station
  • Portillo's: Chicago hot dogs and Italian Beef sandwiches
  • Revival Food Hall: A great option if people can't agree
  • "Aba" near Fulton Market

And for something to bring home to the family: Garret's Popcorn
Thank you. I was thinking of linking to that thread, but when I went back and looked at it, I saw that it was so long & rambling that it was hard to suss out the restaurant details.

I second Jersey Mike's as the best in the Station, and it really is good. They have some half size sandwiches that are easy carry on, btw.

Pick up bagels to go at Manny's and have Manny's load and wrap them and you can carry them in your carry on without fear of them being crushed as they are quite firm.

I think carry on whenever faced with the so called flexible menu on the Texas Flyer, but on the Zephyr that shouldn't be a pressing matter.

Back