Travel with Preschooler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Keri

:unsure: Hello there! I'm new here and contemplating my first train trip. It would just be myself and my three year old son - Detroit to Chicago and back. What do you think? I'd love to take him since he ADORES trains and I wouldn't have to make the 5+ hour drive alone. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Go for it.

If he can survive a road trip, he can survive a train trip. Keep in mind that Amtrak has several stops in the Detroit area (Dearborn, Detroit, Birmingham, Royal Oak), so find the one that's most convenient to you.

If this is going to be a one-day affair, the best bet is to take train 351, which leaves the Detroit area around 7 AM (exact time depends on where you board), and gets to Chicago just past noon (if on time, though sometimes there can be delays enroute). Train 354 leaves Chicago around 6 PM, and gets to the Detroit area around midnight.

If you're going to spend the night in Chicago, you have other options, including two later westbound trains and two earlier eastbound trains.

Make sure you bring something to do (books, games, etc.).

The trains will have a food service car, which can be a bit on the pricey side ($1.50 for a can of Pepsi, but what do you expect for a "captive" environment). On the other hand, you can spend an extra $9 per ticket and upgrade to business class, and you'll get a coupon good for some free stuff in the lounge.

Right now I can't think of much else. Since this isn't a long-distance trip, there's not much advice to give.

If your son loves trains as much as I did when I was little, you and he should have a blast. I remember always looking out the window and wanting to walk about the train all the time. I was never the loud kid, as the train would keep me busy. Heck I still feel like a kid, when i ride the train. All I still do is stare out the window. Rarely can ever read and don't want to sleep.

Chris

If you can make this trip a "day trip" with no real late or early departures/arrivals, then you should have a fine time. I would suggest bringing along a few items to keep him/her entertained, just in case he/she happens to have a "have enough of the train for the day" situation!! I have seen it happen before! I loved trains as a little kid, but I remember my patience growing thin by the end of my trip! :lol:

saxman66 said:
If your son loves trains as much as I did when I was little, you and he should have a blast. I remember always looking out the window and wanting to walk about the train all the time. I was never the loud kid, as the train would keep me busy. Heck I still feel like  a kid, when i ride the train. All I still do is stare out the window. Rarely can ever read and don't want to sleep.
Chris

saxmann 66, you sound just like me!! I can identify with that part about seldom reading or sleeping.....I just want to sit there and "take it all in". (and walk around, too, of course).

I may take some reading material with me "just in case" but most likely that winds up being read in the hotel.

saxman66 said:
...would keep me busy. Heck I still feel like  a kid, when i ride the train. All I still do is stare out the window. Rarely can ever read and don't want to sleep...
Aloha

I turned 60 this year and get younger all the time I am on the train, next best thing to cure age is working a`show like Seseme Street :rolleyes:

GG-1 said:
saxman66 said:
...would keep me busy. Heck I still feel like  a kid, when i ride the train. All I still do is stare out the window. Rarely can ever read and don't want to sleep...
Aloha

I turned 60 this year and get younger all the time I am on the train, next best thing to cure age is working a`show like Seseme Street :rolleyes:

Turned 60 this year, did you? Join the club!!

I did the same thing---while traveling on the "Canadian" in September 2004---guess I know when, where and how to celebrate a birthday!!

Best wishes, hang in there.

I have been traveling with my son since he was 18 months on the train. We have taken several long distance trips (more than one day) and we get a sleeper - but have also taken multiple day long trips (San Diego to Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo) and he loves them! He is four now and our last trip we brought along a portable DVD player I got at Costco and headphones. I think he watched more Scooby Doo then he did scenery but I have to say it was a very relaxing trip for me - LOL!

So my advice is go for it - and PACK LIGHT (as possible) bring some things to entertain him and a few snacks. I always bring bottled water along too. Too much juice or soda makes it very hard for a little guy to sit still. He will love it!

Have fun!

Wow, did your son really spend 18 months on a train? I've heard of late trains before but that's got to be a record.

Back