Travelers take Amtrak in wake of plot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Travelers take Amtrak in wake of plot

Amtrak, the U.S. passenger railroad, said bookings rose 26% Thursday (Aug. 10) as travelers weighed alternatives to airlines after British police said they foiled a terrorist plot to blow up planes over the Atlantic, according to this Bloomberg News report by Rip Watson.

Calls to Amtrak's customer-service centers also increased 14% from a year earlier to 50,000, spokesman Clifford Black said Friday. The Washington-based railroad didn't give a total for the bookings, made by phone or on the Internet.

"Some of the inquiries were based on the reported security delays at airports," Black said. "We know that because some of the callers said so."

Terror alerts were raised Thursday, and security rules were tightened, delaying flights and snarling airports. The U.S. Homeland Security Department acted after the arrest of 24 people in Britain who were believed to be planning to attack airplanes bound for the United States.

Ticket sales Thursday rose 15%, the same pace as in August's first nine days, Black said. At this time in 2005, Amtrak was restarting premium-priced trains between Boston and Washington that had been idled for three months to fix the brakes. Black said Amtrak travel also might be increasing because of higher gasoline prices and more punctual service.

"Americans certainly are looking for other options and a choice to do something else for their method of transportation," said David Johnson, assistant director of the National Association of Railroad Passengers consumer advocacy group. "America needs passenger rail, and the American public is demanding it."

The increase in Amtrak reservations might not result in a matching gain in sales, because the railroad typically gives customers several days to buy tickets or cancel their plans. Reservations can be made as long as 400 days in advance.

Amtrak, in contrast to airports, doesn't extensively screen luggage or require passengers to arrive before the scheduled departure time. The railroad said on its Web site that it deployed more police and is conducting additional on-board verifications of identification in the wake of the British arrests.

Security funding for passenger rail needs to rise, because the United States spends $7 per airline passenger and less than 2 cents per railroad traveler, Johnson said.

Amtrak is in the midst of its annual funding battle, with the U.S. Senate backing $1.4 billion in annual subsidies, about 20% more than for the year ending Sept. 30. President George W. Bush's administration wants to force cost cuts by lowering the subsidy almost 20%.

(The preceding Bloomberg News report by Rip Watson was published by the Detroit Free Press on Saturday, Aug. 12, 2006.)

August 14, 2006

Don't forget that at November when we vote, we need to vote for people who are pro-Amtrak. I think the American People are sending a message by choosing Amtrak.

I’m certainly increasing my own bookings with Amtrak, even with the delays on the long distance trains, if only to avoid the utter nonsense of forbidden liquids in the cabin (which includes expensive medications in may case), and the prospect of forbidding laptops in the near future owing to their explosive hazards (see the massive battery recall on the Dell website today). To the extent the TSA’s security rules surrounding air travel ventures further into the nether regions of idiocy, Amtrak will get lots more of my business.

NE Cooridor prices seem to have been adjusted upwards in the last week, presumably in response to an increase in bookings. The increase means that I'm driving to DC this weekend, instead of taking the Regional like normal. RT tickets from NYP-WAS are almost $200. I can't blame Amtrak for recognizing an increase in demand and raising prices accordingly. But the ability to book last minute tickets without paying a premium was what made Amtrak so attractive to begin with. For $200 I could practically fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite early reports, the London events of last week seem to have had little impact on travel choices.

From the Wall Street Journal, 8/18/06:

A week after authorities foiled a terrorist plot aimed at jetliners flying from the United Kingdom to the U.S., consumers appear to be sticking with air travel. Airlines said customers still are using the tickets they had purchased before the arrests and continue to buy new ones. "Bookings are where they were before this [incident] and within expectations for the fall," a spokesman for UAL Corp.'s United said. "Things are fairly status quo" sales-wise and operationally.

...Amtrak officials said the railroad hasn't seen a change in tickets issued as a result of last week's threat to airlines.
The complete article (requiring a WSJ paid subscription) is HERE.

Despite early reports, the London events of last week seem to have had little impact on travel choices.
From the Wall Street Journal, 8/18/06:

A week after authorities foiled a terrorist plot aimed at jetliners flying from the United Kingdom to the U.S., consumers appear to be sticking with air travel.
Don't blame them. Would you take Amtrak across the Atlantic? :lol:

*j*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back