Traveling alone for 3 days - where to sit??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
I'm going (for the third time) PDX-ALB in coach this summer on 8-48. The only the that brothers me and the other passengers (I think) is I like to move around and explore a lot. So I'm in and out of my seat multiple times a day going to different parts of the train getting different views. SO - How would the bulkhead be? It has larger legroom so it's easier to get around the person next to me - but no tray tables and you're staring at a wall the whole time. What a would you reccomend? An Isle seat would be fine because you still have a large window and you have easy access to move through the train - but you always run the risk of other passengers shutting the blinds and such. Thanks for your input

Like you I move around on the train quite a bit, so for me it doesn't much matter where my assigned coach seat is.

But I prefer being assigned a window seat not opposite the central stairway/trash/water part of the car (to many lights).

Last edited by a moderator:
I hated the bulkhead because I missed having a tray table and staring at the wall made me feel a bit claustrophobic.

I would go with an aisle seat. It gives you the most freedom to leave and return as often as you like. If you want to see the views and your seatmate has closed the curtains, you can always go the lounge.

If I am travelling long distance in coach I'll always opt for the aisle seat Problem is a lot of seats are assigned,but I suppose you can tell the attendant you would like an aisle seat. Best scenario is two seats to yourself,of course, On a Superliner I spend most of the time in the Sightseer Car. I wish the Eastern Viewliners had dome cars. Sitting in a lounge/diner is such a comedown from the Sightseer cars. I was on the Cardinal last month. Great scenery,but it's hard to appreciate it from your seat or the lounge car.

In regards to Overnight travel on LDtrains in Coach I always take a window seat so I can lean against the wall/ window ( padded with a travel pillow or jacket) and also see out easier.

Getting in/out of your seat when you have someone in the aisle seat isn't that difficult unless they have the foot rest up and they are asleep.

I too have found that asking the CA or Conductor politely for a window seat in the middle of the car on the " good" side for scenery often works.

If your station has Redcaps you get to board early so that's a plus also.

Two things to keep in mind: On Superliners you don't want to sit across from the stairs or by the end doors and on Viewliners ( are there any Horizions on LD Trains?) don't sit by the bathroom or the end doors. YMMV

Two things to keep in mind: On Superliners you don't want to sit across from the stairs or by the end doors and on Viewliners ( are there any Horizions on LD Trains?) don't sit by the bathroom or the end doors. YMMV
Amfleets are the coach cars used on LD. Every once in awhile horizons can get subbed in, but it's honestly rare.

Amfleets are used east of Chicago and Superliners are west of Chicago except for the Auto Train and Capital Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back