Traveling with an infant?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’m bringing my newborn niece with me for her first Amtrak ride soon. It will be a Keystone ride to NYP from Elizabethtown roundtrip. She’s already on the reservation as a free-riding infant. She has her Amtrak onesie. Any suggestions from anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Glad everything worked well for you.. For the benefit of others bringing infants on a train, here are the things I discovered..

Bring zip-top baggies, probably gallon size, to dispose of dirty diapers and wipes. That way you can contain any mess or smell, and make it safer and more pleasant for the staff who empty the trash receptacle in the bathroom and for other passengers, too. (And despite what some products claim, baby wipes are not flushable!)

If the baby uses a pacifier for soothing, bring several. Train floors are visually clean enough, but I wouldn't give a baby one that has hit the floor.

If you have a baby carrier that you wear chest side, you will find boarding and exiting the train more secure than having to hold a possibly squirming baby in your arms, and you will have your hands free to hold any bags you are bringing. Also, you can wear a chest side carrier even while seated, unlike backpack style carriers.

The motion of vehicles tends to be soothing to babies, so they may well nap during the ride. If so, you may discover what many parents have long appreciated: that a baby who is sleeping somehow becomes noticeably heavier than the same baby carried awake!

Glad everything worked well for you.. For the benefit of others bringing infants on a train, here are the things I discovered..

Bring zip-top baggies, probably gallon size, to dispose of dirty diapers and wipes. That way you can contain any mess or smell, and make it safer and more pleasant for the staff who empty the trash receptacle in the bathroom and for other passengers, too. (And despite what some products claim, baby wipes are not flushable!)

If the baby uses a pacifier for soothing, bring several. Train floors are visually clean enough, but I wouldn't give a baby one that has hit the floor.

If you have a baby carrier that you wear chest side, you will find boarding and exiting the train more secure than having to hold a possibly squirming baby in your arms, and you will have your hands free to hold any bags you are bringing. Also, you can wear a chest side carrier even while seated, unlike backpack style carriers.

The motion of vehicles tends to be soothing to babies, so they may well nap during the ride. If so, you may discover what many parents have long appreciated: that a baby who is sleeping somehow becomes noticeably heavier than the same baby carried awake!

Thank you for the advice. One thing I learned is it’s difficult to change a baby on an Amfleet 1 Coach—they do not provide a changing table. I suggested to my parents that they change my niece’s diaper in the accessible bathroom since the commode area is wider, but even then it was a challenge. My parents and I sat in the very front of the coach by the restrooms since there was room to put the stroller. It worked out—our fellow passengers also enjoyed the company of my niece—she’s such a cutie pie!

Attachments

• IMG_1703.jpeg
    IMG_1703.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the advice. One thing I learned is it’s difficult to change a baby on an Amfleet 1 Coach—they do not provide a changing table. I suggested to my parents that they change my niece’s diaper in the accessible bathroom since the commode area is wider, but even then it was a challenge. My parents and I sat in the very front of the coach by the restrooms since there was room to put the stroller. It worked out—our fellow passengers also enjoyed the company of my niece—she’s such a cutie pie!
Adorable pictures!

Back