Traveling with Infant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie

Hello,

I am traveling with a 4 month old from NYP to WAS on the Friday 6pm Acela. I have travelled this route at this time many times but this will be my first time with the baby. I am nervous as to how I am going to navigate through the rush when the track is announced and I am not sure how to access the tracks with a stroller. I am familiar with NYP and plan on entering through the elevator on 31st/7th. I'm just nervous on how to actually get on the train and find a seat once the track is announced. Any help would be appreciated.

I would see if you can get a redcap. If you can secure a redcap, he will take you down to the platform before the train is announced. Sometimes when I get a redcap, I am even waiting down on the platform for the train to arrive!

The redcaps are free to use but it is customary to tip them.

Hello,

I am traveling with a 4 month old from NYP to WAS on the Friday 6pm Acela. I have travelled this route at this time many times but this will be my first time with the baby. I am nervous as to how I am going to navigate through the rush when the track is announced and I am not sure how to access the tracks with a stroller. I am familiar with NYP and plan on entering through the elevator on 31st/7th. I'm just nervous on how to actually get on the train and find a seat once the track is announced. Any help would be appreciated.
I would definitely advise getting a red cap. Just make sure to allow yourself a lot of extra time. I asked for a red cap 25 minutes before departure time the last time we travelled, and it took them more than 10 minutes to find one- so by the time we got to the train, people were already boarding. (Not sure if they do early boarding for families in NY like they do for Washington)

I don't take the Acela, I take the regionals. In each car, they have a space for wheelchairs, and a space across from it that is not reserved for wheelchairs. My wife, 12 month old, and I go in that spot. Usually you can leave the stroller open (although some conductors say it is a safety hazard) so that your baby can sleep, and there is also enough space for him/her to play, and for you to change them on the floor (no changing tables in the regionals!)

I've also found that on the Acela people are less accustomed to babies making noise, while on the regionals, people don't care as much as long as you are not in the quiet car. Acelas don't have that same extra space, so you will have to fold the stroller and put it in a luggage rack.

You don't have to buy a ticket for infants, but you will have to put him/her on your lap, especially if it is a crowded train.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice. I know the Acela is certainly more catered towards a business crowd who don't want to listen to a loud baby. Luckily, we will be traveling around bedtime so the baby should be sleeping most of the ride (he sleeps during any motion so it shouldn't be a problem).

I will definitely seek out a red cap when we arrive for assistance.

And once on the train your fellow passengers will likely be really helpful. I boarded a really busy train from Washington and there was a lady with an infant and people were really helpful getting her luggage stowed in the overhead rack since that was too hard for her to do with the baby in her arms (and she had other little children and needed help getting seats together). Then the conductor came up and he was a big fan of babies and all the whole experience made most of the passengers in that section all smiley and chatty (the baby was SO cute) and all round it was one of those experiences that makes you go awwwwwww about the goodness of people. It was my first time in coach on Amtrak (I'm from Australia) and it was such a nice experience.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

I believe the 6pm is one of few Acelas that originates in NY, not Boston. So you can't watch the arrivals screen to get the track number early.

So, Red Cap is the way to go. Ask for the solo accessible seat at the end of each car (you'll be asked to move if someone who really needs that seat boards downline). You can set up the stroller right in front of you, across from the fixed table.

Worst case, you'll have to grab a standard seat and let your little one sleep in a Baby Bjorn style carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back