travelling in the us by train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello I was just enquiring if anyone can help me out , next year as family we are staying at four chosen places where we are staying in the usa firstly New york we we arrived by plane next Myrtle beach in sc next woulb be St.petersburg in Florida and lastl New Orleans which we know you can go straight back to New york on the city of New orleans train, but where would the place you get off for Myrtle Beach and can you go to St Petersburg from there by train and which would be the best way thanking you gerard

To get to Myrtle Beach from New York, you'd have to take either the Palmetto or Silver Meteor, and get off at either Florence, SC. I don't know how far away Myrtle Beach is, but you'd probably have to rent a car. There may be bus connections, but Amtrak doesn't offer them as Thruways.

From there to St. Petersburg would require riding the Silver Meteor to Orlando, and then riding a Thruway bus connection to St. Petersburg.

To New Orleans, again ride the Thruway bus to Orlando, and ride the Sunset Limited to New Orleans.

To return to New York, you'd have to ride the Crescent, not the City of New Orleans.

rmadisonwi said:
From there to St. Petersburg would require riding the Silver Meteor to Orlando, and then riding a Thruway bus connection to St. Petersburg.
To New Orleans, again ride the Thruway bus to Orlando, and ride the Sunset Limited to New Orleans.
As far as the Tampa portion is concerned, they would be better off riding the "Silver Star" to Tampa (TPA) and taking the throughway connection to St. Pete from there. That is if they prefer more time aboard the train rather than a bus. OBS.......

Oooops.......... I didn't read the part about going to Myrtle Beach, SC.............so that kills the idea of the "Star" in this case, then. OBS......

Back