Trespasser Struck, WAS-BAL Suspended 3/28/16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant
All service is currently suspended between Washington and Baltimore.

It looks like the train my fiancee was on was the one that hit the trespasser.

A couple of links:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2016/03/28/fatal-pedestrian-crash-on-amtrakmarc-train-lines-near-lanham/?postshare=9301459167255628&tid=ss_tw

http://wjla.com/news/local/person-struck-by-mta-train-in-prince-georges-county

Will update further if i hear anything. At the moment she's just telling me they're sitting there and haven't been told anything except "there's a track obstruction ahead".

She was headed north on 502?

We went through there heading south, and saw 502 sitting at Seabrook. I was half asleep when we went through, and remember crawling slowly, but didn't notice any activity trackside. Glad I made it in when I did.

Sorry for your girlfriend, didn't she just go through this like a month ago?

I was on 407 this morning and noticed that we went slowly between Seabrook and New Carrolton. What time did this event happen? These things are always terrible. Maybe they need to have more publicity in the media (i.e. public service ads) about the dangers of trespassing on train tracks.

It figures that today is the day that I have to return to Baltimore early for a dental appointment. Even though it looks like services is being restored, are there alternative ways for someone without a car to get from Washington to Baltimore in the mid-day? (The next Camden Line train is at 3 PM or so.)

She was headed north on 502?

We went through there heading south, and saw 502 sitting at Seabrook. I was half asleep when we went through, and remember crawling slowly, but didn't notice any activity trackside. Glad I made it in when I did.

Sorry for your girlfriend, didn't she just go through this like a month ago?
Yep, she was on 445 or 447 when it hit someone in December.

She was on 408 this morning, she usually commutes up to Baltimore on the express.

Things seem to be clearing up now, though Union Station was pretty packed when I walked through around 9:30 this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
It figures that today is the day that I have to return to Baltimore early for a dental appointment. Even though it looks like services is being restored, are there alternative ways for someone without a car to get from Washington to Baltimore in the mid-day? (The next Camden Line train is at 3 PM or so.)
There is an alternative, although it involves multiple connections. DC Metro Green Line to the Greenbelt station. Then the B30 bus to BWI airport. Then walk to the end of the terminal and take the light rail line to Baltimore, Camden Yards or north of there on Howard St. From there, you have Charm City circulator bus options and the Baltimore metro line at Lexington Market.

I got to Union Sta at about 1230. They were boarding the 1100 Acela. Then saw the 1320 MARC I wanted to take was cancelled. Then at about 1250 they started boarding the 1200 Acela. The agent in the Club Acela wasn't sure about the 1305 Regional, so I said the what the heck, I bought a ticket for the Acela. We're just passing through Seabrook, and we resumed full speed after crawling up from New Carrolyon. Whoops, spoke too soon..no, we're resuming speed, 117 mph and still accelerating.

Beats taking the green line, b20 bus, and light rail, but don't ask me what it cost.

I got to Union Sta at about 1230. They were boarding the 1100 Acela. Then saw the 1320 MARC I wanted to take was cancelled. Then at about 1250 they started boarding the 1200 Acela. The agent in the Club Acela wasn't sure about the 1305 Regional, so I said the what the heck, I bought a ticket for the Acela. We're just passing through Seabrook, and we resumed full speed after crawling up from New Carrolyon. Whoops, spoke too soon..no, we're resuming speed, 117 mph and still accelerating.

Beats taking the green line, b20 bus, and light rail, but don't ask me what it cost.
I thought it wasn't possible to buy a ticket for a delayed train after its scheduled departure time?

I thought it wasn't possible to buy a ticket for a delayed train after its scheduled departure time?
What kind of nonsense would that be?

Maybe at one point you couldn't buy it via the website or app, but only through the call center or station, but now you can do it however you'd like. Tickets are cut off (it seems like) 5 minutes prior to actual departure, at least on the app and website.

I just priced a ticket from BAL to NYP on 2166, which is scheduled to depart at 1:30, but is showing an estimated departure of 1:57, and it is willing to sell me a ticket. (For those in a different time zone, this post was made at 1:40).

What kind of nonsense would that be?

Maybe at one point you couldn't buy it via the website or app, but only through the call center or station, but now you can do it however you'd like. Tickets are cut off (it seems like) 5 minutes prior to actual departure, at least on the app and website.

I just priced a ticket from BAL to NYP on 2166, which is scheduled to depart at 1:30, but is showing an estimated departure of 1:57, and it is willing to sell me a ticket. (For those in a different time zone, this post was made at 1:40).
I just tried searching HFD-SAB for today, with 56 late and currently in NHV. The website gave me tomorrow's train.

Good grief. How much longer till we as a society decide that enough is enough and do nothing more than replace the crew, get the train to the station and only then turn it over to the police so they can play Barney Fife all they want? If there's a mechanical problem with the train, fine, bring up another train and transload or bring up replacement equipment. The latter will definitely take time, but that should be the ONLY delay involved. How many millions (yes, millions) of innocent people are punished EVERY DAY by our penchant for holding up everything to "investigate?" I'm talking not just about passenger rail, but our highways too.

Good grief. How much longer till we as a society decide that enough is enough and do nothing more than replace the crew, get the train to the station and only then turn it over to the police so they can play Barney Fife all they want? If there's a mechanical problem with the train, fine, bring up another train and transload or bring up replacement equipment. The latter will definitely take time, but that should be the ONLY delay involved. How many millions (yes, millions) of innocent people are punished EVERY DAY by our penchant for holding up everything to "investigate?" I'm talking not just about passenger rail, but our highways too.
I agree with you except the part about "get the train to the station and only then turn it over to the police so they can play Barney Fife all they want?" I say get train on its way to its destination while police play Barney Fife all they want".

Ryan said "It appears that the "victim" was wanted for a shooting in the next county over and preferred death by train to prison."

Now exactly how could train personnel or passengers on the train help determine that, or help the investigation in any way? I mean how long does it take to get the engineer's statement? I saw a body on the tracks and put on the brakes. No, I didn't realize it was my mother-in-law whom I secretly wanted dead. Duh.

I agree with you except the part about "get the train to the station and only then turn it over to the police so they can play Barney Fife all they want?" I say get train on its way to its destination while police play Barney Fife all they want".

Ryan said "It appears that the "victim" was wanted for a shooting in the next county over and preferred death by train to prison."

Now exactly how could train personnel or passengers on the train help determine that, or help the investigation in any way? I mean how long does it take to get the engineer's statement? I saw a body on the tracks and put on the brakes. No, I didn't realize it was my mother-in-law whom I secretly wanted dead. Duh.

If you two ever got involved in an investigation, you'd find out that not everything is as it initially appears. Which is why investigations need to be thorough. This is particularly true when the inevitable lawsuit appears.

Investigation is lovely and all, but I'm not sure what they can actually do at the scene besides (a) clean up, and (b) take photographs. A train hitting someone at high speed leaves quite a mess, but once the photographs are taken, I can't see what's to be done at the site other than move all the evidence out of the way, and make sure the tracks are safe to move the train. I suppose that could take four hours, but it shouldn't.

Investigation is lovely and all, but I'm not sure what they can actually do at the scene besides (a) clean up, and (b) take photographs. A train hitting someone at high speed leaves quite a mess, but once the photographs are taken, I can't see what's to be done at the site other than move all the evidence out of the way, and make sure the tracks are safe to move the train. I suppose that could take four hours, but it shouldn't.
Okay...The recent strike 172 had in Mansfield rendered Mansfield closed for the rest of the day (mind you this strike happened before 3pm), and it was closed the next day as well. There was "evidence" found 20+ feet away from the strike site, across the street. You need to make every bit of matter is cleaned up, because it is a possible biohazard. If that means having (what I believe is generally an outside company) on the tracks for four hours, then that's what is going to happen for the safety of the public.

It is not possible to clean up all "biohazards" *outdoors in the wild*, which is always filled with sick animals, dead animals, animal waste, human blood, etc. The outdoors is a biohazard and trying to clean it up completely is just fantasy. Sure, you want to collect anything large enough to be identifiable, but fragments and blood are all over the wild. So that's another bogus excuse...

And anything which is 20 feet away from the tracks doesn't involve closing the tracks. So that's another bogus excuse...

I buy the need to clean up the train, but that's generally done after it's moved anyway, right? So that's another...

From my experience, the delay is often not caused so much by the investigation but by the incredible amount of time it takes the investigators to arrive in the first place. Last time I was on a train which struck someone, more motor vehicles were still showing up after 2 hours. Perhaps in the old days railroads and municipalities had more instant-response staff?

They don't close a road for two days when someone is killed by a motor vehicle on the road. Therefore they do not need to close a railroad that long. Period. It's got to be some form of understaffing or bad procedure.

It is not possible to clean up all "biohazards" *outdoors in the wild*, which is always filled with sick animals, dead animals, animal waste, human blood, etc. The outdoors is a biohazard and trying to clean it up completely is just fantasy. Sure, you want to collect anything large enough to be identifiable, but fragments and blood are all over the wild. So that's another bogus excuse...
While it may not be possible, attempts are made these days. Depending on the severity, they will even call the fire department in to hose down the area. If Clean Harbors is available, they will suit up and spray the area down.

And anything which is 20 feet away from the tracks doesn't involve closing the tracks. So that's another bogus excuse..
This assumes that there is access to the area without fouling the tracks. If a foul is needed because the site is only accessible from one side, a foul will be granted and the tracks will remain closed under police order.

I buy the need to clean up the train, but that's generally done after it's moved anyway, right? So that's another...
Increasingly, trains are being cleaned at the site depending on the severity and accessibility. Clean Harbors will come directly to the site, put on their hazardous material suits and power wash the equipment with a solution that can only described as foul smelling. It has to be a mixture of bleach or ammonia. Whatever, it is enough to give you a headache.

Then, once the train makes it to the final terminal, the train will make its way to an S&I so they can clean the underside of the train.

From my experience, the delay is often not caused so much by the investigation but by the incredible amount of time it takes the investigators to arrive in the first place.
Indeed. Often, it is not the railroad or police response that lags. The real delay is waiting for the coroner/medical examiner. Apparently, only the coroner/medical examiner can actually confirm and/or certify that the person is indeed deceased...which isn't always necessary in my opinion. I think it is quite obvious to everyone what the outcome of this encounter is. However, you have to wait and this can take time, particularly on weekends.

Last time I was on a train which struck someone, more motor vehicles were still showing up after 2 hours. Perhaps in the old days railroads and municipalities had more instant-response staff?

They don't close a road for two days when someone is killed by a motor vehicle on the road. Therefore they do not need to close a railroad that long. Period. It's got to be some form of understaffing or bad procedure.

Each scene is different and more importantly, each jurisdiction handles these things differently. Remember, this is a police investigation. They pretty much call the shots. If they want a foul or close the railroad, it will remained closed. In this particular case, they branded the entire area a crime scene since this was a wanted individual.

As for the length of the railroad closure, no one closed the railroad for two days. Some scenes have all but the affected track and train reopened at restricted speed in a matter of minutes. Some drag on for hours. It all boils down to the circumstances and impact field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back