Trip Advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gavin

Hey Im planning a trip from Atlanta to Arizonia and was looking up the prices and it is expensive for a sleeper!!! We are a family of four. Kids are 13,16

Was thinking about one standered room for the kids and one deluxe for the adults but it is pretty expensive.

Was wondering of anyways to get prices down for sleeper travel??

Was thinking about traveling November 23 one-way and flying back on the 27

The route we would be taking is Atlanta -New Orleans (with a duluxe bedroom for the 4 of us to share because its a day trip) and then New Orleans to Maricopa Arizona (with one standered and one deluxe bedroom)

Any advice would ber great

In CHRIST,

Gavin

1cross+3nails=4given

To decrease costs I would suggest traveling coach from Atlanta to New Orleans and then book two Standard rooms (instead of one Standard and one Deluxe room) from New Orleans to Maricopa. The total cost of that is showing up to be $809.50 (priced as 3 adults, 1 child). You can also save 10% off the railfare by using a AAA discount card if you have one. Also, the later you book the more the price will rise.

Ok I worked out the fare cost for the 4 people.....

It worked out at 2258.40 for the following

2 Viewliner rooms from atlanta -New Orleans

1 night in New Orleans

1 Standered and 1 Deluxe room from New Orleand-Maricopa Arizona

Airfare for 4 people back to Atlanta

-minus $398 for the meals we get free (read prices from another post) thats includes 2 breakfasts,3 lunches,3 dinners for 4 people

Ok, If we flew both ways it would cost $1720

Is it worth $538.40 extra? Is the scenery good on this route through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona?

In CHRIST,

Gavin

Sounds like a great trip!

Before I continue, though, I want to make sure you are aware of the station facility in Maricopa, Arizona. This station is Amtrak's closest approach to Phoenix (where I assume you are actually going) but is located about 30 miles south of the city suburbs in the middle of the desert. The station will be staffed upon your arrival, but NO rental cars or public transportation is scheduled into the city or suburbs area, so the station agent probably won't be of much help other than getting your checked bags off the train for you. If you will need transportation from the station into the Phoenix area or a Phoenix hotel (i.e. you don't have someone to pick you up there), you will need to call White's Shuttle Service at 520-568-4404. They have a minivan shuttle that meets every train and provides the transportation into the Phoenix area for about $50 (I'm not sure if it's per person or per group). Anyway, there is a high demand for this service and I highly recommend that you make a reservation with them as early as possible to ensure there will be space for you.

That said (I have been stuck there before and it's miserable, so I just had to warn you), the main factor that is probably driving the price of your trip up a little bit is that it is so close to Thanksgiving, Amtrak's busiest time of the year.

My advice would be to book four coach seats on the first leg of your trip (Atlanta to New Orleans) since it will be entirely during the day and a sleeper really isn't necessary. You will probably find that travelling in coach on a day trip less than 12 hours is just as comfortable in coach as it would be in a sleeper. The two kids will travel for half the adult fare, and the tickets can be further discounted if you have an AAA membership. On the online booking system, just enter 2 AAA Adults and 2 AAA kids.

For the second leg of your trip, I would advise booking 2 standard sleepers to save money. It should still be comfortable for you and the 2 adults can take the bottom bed in each room and put the kids on the top beds (if you want), it would really probably be comfortable enough regardless of how you chose to share the rooms. You will only be sleeping in the rooms one night (hopefully, unless the train is really late for some reason) and you will probably find it more comfortable to hang out together in the sightseer lounge car during the day than remain in your sleepers (or you can go back and forth throughout the day).

This information in mind, I was able to price a one way trip from Atlanta to Maricopa for the four of you for a total of $703.10. This sounds very reasonable keeping in mind that it includes all your food - meals served in the train's dining room between New Orleans and Maricopa (total 4 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 8 dinners), the transportation, and on board lodging.

Please keep in mind that Amtrak works on a supply and demand pricing system, so the price will continue to rise until the day of depature unless you make a reservation now and lock in the lower price offered at this time. I hope this trip works out for you, and please feel free to respond with any other questions about any of this I have covered.

Thanks so much for the reply! It seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper! The only major concern is that on the Phoniex-Maricopa we might need 1 deluxe because being 6ft 2inches and sharing with someone else, its going to be tight. Also the ladies like their privercy and would not enjoy going in a public restroom to brush her teeth and get her hair neatened up (even though I hear they are kept pretty tidy). As for the station in Maricopa we have relatives there that could pick us up (thanks anyway for the advice) Just a couple more questions

Whats the secenery like on this route?

Has anyone got photos of the inside of an amfleet lounge?

In CHRIST,

Gavin

1cross+3nails=4given

Thanks again!!

Gavin,

First, let me warn you that your 16-year-old does not qualify as a child, you will need to buy an adult ticket for him/her.

Next, I feel that I should mention that this trip would involve two different types of train equipment. The first leg, from Atlanta to New Orleans, would find you traveling in a Viewliner Sleeper, assuming that you didn't opt for coach. The second leg, New Orleans to Maricopa, will find you in Superliner equipment.

The Viewliner is a single level car, while the Superliner is a bi-level car. The deluxe rooms are rather similar in both cars, but there are some big differences between the standard bedrooms on these cars.

The standard room on a Viewliner still has a toilet right in the room, but it's out in the open basically. There is no curtain or wall, so either the second person must step out into the hall, or sit there watching you in all your glory. The Viewliner standard room also includes a sink & mirror right in the room. Finally, while you won't be sleeping in this room, even at 6' 2", you would probably be comfortable sleeping.

The standard room on a Superliner, just contains the seats and the beds. There are no facilities at all in the room. The public restrooms in this car provide all the needed ammenities. There is one bathroom upstairs and three downstairs.

Now with regard to the deluxe room, let me warn you that it's not the Ritz. The actual toilet/shower is the size of a phone booth. You will not under any circumstance be able to fit more than one person in this tiny closet.

I for one, when traveling in a deluxe room, don't even bother to use the shower in the room. It's easier and more convienent to head for the public shower. I'm 5' 11", weigh 160 and I can't shower in that closet without hitting my elbows on the walls trying to wash my back.

The sink and the mirror are located in the room proper, in front of the long couch in the room. I don't want to scare you, but I do want you to have a clear idea of what these rooms look like.

If you haven't already, you may wish to check out both the Virtual Tour and the room diagrams. This will help to give you some idea of what to expect from the sleepers.

I'm not the best person to discuss the scenery along this route, so hopefully a few other members will chime in. However two highlights of the route would be the Hughy Long Bridge over the Mississippi River and the run through the bayou's of Louisiana as you approach New Orleans.

Amfleet lounge photos are available. These are of a refurbished Amfleet2 lounge car. That is the usual equipment operated on the crescent, although the refurbished cars float aroun so it is best guess where they will be. Usually they are on silver service trains.

These photos are from Amtrak Florida and Amtrak in the East webpages.

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakflorida/Pict...0-%20Tables.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakflorida/Pict...Snack%20Bar.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakintheeast/im...28007_int_b.JPG(This is the enclosed smoking section.)

These are photos of the coach equipment on the Crescent. It usually has amfleet2, but in rare cases a amfleet 1 car can be found. The first photo is of the unrefurbished car which still features the popular late 1970's color scheme. The refurbished cars have a blue scheme.

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakflorida/Pict...202%20Seats.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakintheeast/im...25027_int_a.JPG

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakintheeast/im...25027_int_b.JPG

AlanB said:
First, let me warn you that your 16-year-old does not qualify as a child, you will need to buy an adult ticket for him/her.
I missed the age there - thank you for correcting me Alan.

I enjoyed the scenery on the Sunset NOL-Maricopa when I traveled on it. You will notice that it is very green and virbrant from New Orleans to about Houston. It will almost feel like you are flying through a sea of green plants. When you reach Houston there is a dramatic change to the southwest desert climate. The air becomes much drier and loses it's humidity. The train provides a view of downtown Houston and will be there a few minutes, so you can step off and walk around the platform or venture into the station for a minute or two. From Houston to Maricopa you will travel through the desert. You will most likely travel through San Antonio during the night (as I did in both directions), so I am not sure what you'll see there. I remember waking up briefly there and looking out at a beautiful adobe brick station with flowers and a tiled platform. It looked nice from what I saw. A few highlights here are the area around El Paso where the train travels right next to the Rio Grande River right on the border and you can look across right into Mexico. The train seems to travel 1000 feet or so above the City of El Paso (on the southern end of it, at the base of a mountain) and allows you to see miles and miles out above the city. I remember El Paso as the trailer park capitol of the world from the view I got on the train. I believe the Amtrak Station here was the only building I saw that wasn't a trailer. :lol: I don't remember seeing much except for the desert between El Paso and Maricopa.

You might want to check out: http://www.trainweb.com/routes/route_1.htm for a detailed route guide of what to expect to see on the Sunset Limited. I remember it was one of my most memorable Amtrak trips.

I will try to comment a bit on the scenery to expect since I have taken a similar route (Atlanta to El Paso, TX) on a couple of occaisons. Of course like most railfans I almost always enjoy any scenery when viewed from a train! While not on par with a trip through the Rocky Mountains, your planned trip will certainly show you two contrasting types of scenery.

The leg from Atlanta to New Orleans is mostly through rural country and smaller towns (exception: Birmingham, AL) and will afford you views of lots (and lots!) of trees at trackside and even a short trip through a tunnel, with views of the surrounding countryside and a river crossing popping up from time to time. Some would probably say it is even a bit monotonous at times. It is, for the most part, very "green".

Of course New Orleans is the big city, and you will skirt the edge of massive lake Ponchartrain as your enter the city at nightfall. There is not much to see between there and the station. The next day, leaving on the Sunset Limited, you will pass over the aforementioned Huey Long bridge as you cross the Mississippi river. This is a long and high bridge that tends to impress even non train fans with the views it affords. Out of New Orleans, you will pass seemingly endless areas of flat, wet land and inland waterways where rice and sugar cane are farmed. As you proceed farther west through Louisiana, the tress will increase in number and you will see true swamp land.

Night will fall somewhere in East Texas and you will see the many lights of oil refineries in the distance before approaching well-lit Houston. The next morning should find you somewhere west of San Antonio, and the landscape will look nothing like the prior day's. You will be in the desert of West Texas and there won't be much green in the view, just scrub brush, cactus, and dirt. While many may find it boring, I find a certain serenity in the appearance of this area. A pass through a portion of the Davis Mountain range near Alpine, TX breaks up the monotony and affords some really nice views for a hour or so.

Passing through El Paso, you will be very close to the Mexico border and can clearly see the many makeshift homes and the city of Juarez across the Rio Grande river. There is also Mount Christo Rey, a landmark with it's historic cross at the peak that is visible to the south as you leave El Paso. I am going to assume that the remaining scenery into Maricopa is similar to that of western Texas, i.e. more desert!

Didn't mean to ramble so much - perhaps others can add to and/or correct my interpretation of this route for you. But at leat it gives you an idea of what to expect. Also keep in mind that the train on your second portion, the Sunset Limited, has a tendency to accumulate delays as it travels west. Plan for some flexibility in your arrival time at Maricopa! It is not at all uncommon for this train to be several hours late. Don't let that discourage you by any means . . . . . just keep it in your plans. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks again for all the replies!! Now heres another question (not another question!) if you were on you first train ride with a 13 and a 16 year old, would they find the trip boring or fun? Is their much for them to do? Would a dvd player, with the scenery keep them occupied?

In CHRIST,

Gavin

John 3:16-----Yipeee, hello heaven

It is hard to tell, cause it varies. Im 15 and I love riding the train(has to help that Im a train fan). Alot of kids the same age can loath train travel cause it is slow to them. I would suggest bringing a dvd player or a laptop, but make sure you keep track of it.

Gavin Carden said:
Thanks again for all the replies!! Now heres another question (not another question!) if you were on you first train ride with a 13 and a 16 year old, would they find the trip boring or fun? Is their much for them to do? Would a dvd player, with the scenery keep them occupied?
In CHRIST,

Gavin

John 3:16-----Yipeee, hello heaven
I think they'd love it, assuming they don't get bored or impatient really, really easily. :lol: The train has a finite number of areas to explore, but as long as they have some music or a CD or MP3 player, and maybe a good book or some magazines, they should be fine through the (few) areas of scenery that inevitably can be dull.

I had my first train ride at age 9. While I've always been one to find things to do and can be easily content in many situations, I did not have to exercise that capability aboard the train. I had no shortage of enjoyment or occupation during my first overnight ride, as it was all rather exciting. My family does not have the rails in their "blood" (my parents were not rail enthusiasts before I came around), so it was truly just a love of travel that got me hooked on the train. You know your kids best - if they tend to be homebodies with an aversion to travel, they may not like the train just as they may not like flying, taking a bus, etc. However, if they enjoy meeting new people, seeing new things, and having new experiences, the train should be just the ticket. (so to speak)

If you're in a sleeper, don't forget that there are three meals a day included (with dessert after lunch and dinner), and so if you think about it one way, you're just finding things to pass the time until the next meal! :lol:

I've witnessed children of various ages being mesmerized by the train all of my life. The train is a newer, larger stranger world to them than it is to an adult....and many of them have littlle enough concept of time to know how much longer it is taking them than a plane would.

They often approach it with fewer pre-conceptions than an adult. They tend to savour the present moment, as many of us adult railfans do.

Of course it depends on the indivdual child, and perhaps a million other things as well, but I still say I have seen them enjoy it over and over and over.

As somebody else has already said, if your child is frequently and quickly bored, then that could be a bad sign.

Thanks for all the advice! As for the recommendation about riding coach from Atlanta to New Orleans I figured the price of the meals that day would exceed the price of the 2 standered sleepers ($96 dollars for two standered sleepers)

Any other advice would be great,

in CHRIST,

Gavin

1cross+3nails=4given

hi,

new to the amtrak travel and would love some advice. planning to go from nyc to glacier nat'l park.we are 2 families. we are a total of 7 adults, 3 kids(?) ages 14,14 and 9. any advice would be much appreciated.

Be prepared to deal with late trains, and dont worry to much about them. Also enjoy the scenery, especially aboard the Empire Builder.

The first few hours are interesting, but the trip can get dull quick. Especially if you are not the "chatty" type! :p

On the concept coaches and lounges, 120v outlets have been placed at each row of seats along the wall. Each room on the sleeper has outlets, too!

I recommend bringing GameBoys, DVD players and CD players for the journey.

Don't forget your adapters!!! :huh:

Batteries are real expensive in the lounge! :blink:

P.S. Please be considerate when it comes to the volume. Some of the devices brought onboard are loud, and we all giggle when you come to the lounge for a cigarette!

Miami Joe B) :rolleyes:

I rode over this route in reverse two months ago during part of my rail pass trip. The trip from ATL to NOL is nice, lots of woods, some hills between ATL and Birmingham. Very nice crew at least the day I rode on the Crescent. NOL to Maricopa is nice too because it has a variety of scenery from bayou country in LA to plains in TX and desert in NM and AZ. To ride across TX is to appreciate just how big a state that is! Do be aware that the Sunset Limited is notorious for being Amtrak's most chronically tardy train due to freight train congestion on the lines it travels over. Over the course of the past few months it has hardly ever kept to its schedule, and been late by 12+ hours or cancelled halfway through quite a few times. Now, this isn't too bad of a thing if you really like to take a train trip because it means more time on the train, but might be a bit much to take for first time train travellers. I'm not saying don't take the trip, but perhaps a shorter trip or a more reliable route would be best for an enjoyable train travel vacation. Just something to be aware of.

The main reason we were going take that particular train to arizonia is to see relatives. Is it ever close to being on time

In CHRIST,

Gavin

Well ocasionally when it's 24 hours late, it's on time in a way. :lol: Recently though the performance of the Sunset has been dismal at best, with 0% on time performance in recent months. Now that can be decieving as anything more than half hour late is not on time, so it could be anywhere in that span of 30 minutes - 24 hours.

:D

We would be flying back to Atlanta but do you think its worth it just in case we get there and have to fly back the next day. :D

in CHRIST,

Gavin 1cross+3nails=4given

The sunset usually is in the 3 to 8 hour late range. On those rare(not now) occasions it is 20 hours late, you may want to be happy you really got your moneys worth out of amtrak. Scince your getting a sleeper, that means your going to get extra meals at no cost to you. :D

Book Early! Thanksgiving is very very busy for Amtrak and sleeper prices will sky rocket soon, or all the sleepers will be sold out. That dosent mean sleepers will open up, but there is always the chance they wont. Also coach sells out frequently during that season too.

The schedule will have you arriving into Maricopa at 11:23pm (after the summer-winter time change goes into effect). Even if it was on time, you would probably get off, go to bed, and visit with family the next day, right? I would plan on arriving early the next morning (5-6 am) just to be safe. This has almost seemed to be the pattern of arrival for this train over the last couple of months anyway. Since you will have sleepers, you will still be comfortably accommodated on board and shouldn't really miss out on much time visiting with your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back