Trip from Chicago to San Diego & Back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanavc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Just purchased mine & hubby's tickets for one of our bucket list trips in July. We will be taking CZ to Emyerville staying the night, getting on the San Joaquin to Bakersfield, 2-hour bus ride to LA, then Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. We will be there from July1-6 and then get the Surfliner to LA and take the SWC back to Chi. Any helpful hints or suggestions on anything regarding this trip are welcome! We are so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go Business Class on the Pacific Surfliner.  In my opinion (based on limited experience), I think it is worth it.

Yes business class is well worth the $15 up-charge.  Board the  surfliner as soon as the doors open in LA and San Diego, coach or business class. Half the seats permanently face forward half backwards. The forward facing seats go quick if it’s a full train.

Just purchased mine & hubby's tickets for one of our bucket list trips in July. We will be taking CZ to Emyerville staying the night, getting on the San Joaquin to Bakersfield, 2-hour bus ride to LA, then Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. We will be there from July1-6 and then get the Surfliner to LA and take the SWC back to Chi. Any helpful hints or suggestions on anything regarding this trip are welcome! We are so excited!
Hope you have a room for the CZ portion.   If not consider an upgrade.  That is one long trip to have to sit in coach.   If you have a roomette and you are an older couple consider an upgrade to  a bedrioom.  That upper bunk can be awfully tricky to get in to.

On the CZ, be sure that you get seats in the Sightseer Lounge car as soon as possible in the early morning, preferably before you arrive in Denver.  The arrival in Denver was interesting, I thought, and surely, the departure West through the Tunnel and beyond are sightseeing highlights.

I forgot to mention, we do have roomettes. Would have liked bedrooms but they were a bit too pricey. And we have business seats on Surfliner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Dakota' 400 about getting a seat in the sightseer lounge car at Denver.  The great scenery starts soon after leaving Denver.

Keep in mind that if your surfliner train is running late on your return trip (or if you don't want to go all the way into LA Union Station), you can detrain at Fullerton and board the Southwest Chief there. If you do this I think it would be best to call Amtrak and let them know that you are doing this so your reservation doesn't get cancelled when you don't board at LA.  

Look for the ore cars just outside of Denver.   They  were not just abandoned there.   They were put there for a very good reason.  

Aslo be sure to look for the switch back.   Very interesting.

Just like others have said, Business Class is worth the upgrade and I think you should get Sleeper class on the CZ because the trip is pretty long and Sleeper Class also guarantees lunch and dinner. 

(Maybe you've already considered this, but...) You could also transfer from CZ to SJ at Martinez - save a few miles and bucks, and overnight in a more pleasant, laid-back small town, where Joe DiMaggio was born and John Muir chose to live (I'm old enough to recall the former, but not the latter). I made the SJ to CZ transfer here just last year, spending the night (and less than $100.) in the altogether decent Muir Lodge Motel. Alternatively, you could save even more time/money by detraining in Sacramento, where there is a well-regarded Vagabond Inn and a number of things to do near the station, and connect with the SJ by bus in Stockton the next morning.

But unless you plan to take the bus over to San Francisco, there's little in Emeryville itself to warrant an overnight stay. It's an industrial/commercial area with several large, expensive hotels, but no restaurants, or places you'd want to be walking around.

Your ideas about Martinez and Sacramento are good ones, Davis is even a better place to layover.

As for Emeryville, its come a Longway with lots of new building, shopping,eating places and is  a becoming an upscale place to live in the East Bay with all the new Condos and Apartments going up.

Back