Trip from Indy to California and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericjeeper

Train Attendant
Ok booked a roomette on the CZ, coach on the coast starlight. Getting off at Klamath Falls Oregon. Renting a car for a few days and Jumping back on the EB in Spokane. Middle of Jan.

Is there anything special we need to know before we leave home?

Can I carry my pocket knife? Should we bring an electric blanket in case?

I don't see why a properly secured pocket knife wouldn't be allowed. Something maybe like a Swiss Army Knife that has no issues with perhaps cutting through something on a sudden stop. Amtrak does seem to have a prohibition on knives in luggage.

I suppose you could bring an electric blanket, but you should have adequate heat in your roomette controlled by the thermostat.

Roomette-Temperature-Controls-425x334.jpg

Thanks for answering. Seems we are in car 0532 room 003 ,is this top or bottom? Good room or bad?

You are on the top floor towards the middle of the car. In fact your room is next door to the Sleeping Car Attendant's room.

The middle of the car generally offers the smoothest and quietest ride. If noise is an issue when sleeping, bring ear plugs. They helped me quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be a good thing.lol being next to the SCA..

We are excited,our vacation is about the journey, not the destination. No where to go and two weeks to get there.

As for the noise,I suffer from tinnitus, my spring peepers are in my head 24/7. A little noise is welcome.

Don't forget to take along some small cash for tips. Meals are included in your sleeper fare but the tip is not. I usually like to take along two dollar bills; they take up half as much space as ones and usually put a smile on the face of the folks that get them. You may also want to tip your sleeping car attendant. I travel alone and don't require much from an attendant so I usually think in terms of about $5 a night for a tip but others may come along with more reasonable suggestions.

Don't forget to take along some small cash for tips. Meals are included in your sleeper fare but the tip is not. I usually like to take along two dollar bills; they take up half as much space as ones and usually put a smile on the face of the folks that get them. You may also want to tip your sleeping car attendant. I travel alone and don't require much from an attendant so I usually think in terms of about $5 a night for a tip but others may come along with more reasonable suggestions.
I brought that up once. The response was **ahem** off the rails.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/53688-your-bring-list-for-riding-the-rails/?p=417379

Oh - later in the thread someone mentioned bringing a Swiss Army knife.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/53688-your-bring-list-for-riding-the-rails/?p=418625

Wow, no kidding! I've never had an issue with anyone refusing to accept a $2 bill and most folks want to keep it for themselves. It certainly is an obscure currency which of course is the attraction. I use them because I like them and they actually are more convenient than ones on a long train trip. I feel sorry for any server that is offended by a tip that includes $2 bills.

Wow, no kidding! I've never had an issue with anyone refusing to accept a $2 bill and most folks want to keep it for themselves. It certainly is an obscure currency which of course is the attraction. I use them because I like them and they actually are more convenient than ones on a long train trip. I feel sorry for any server that is offended by a tip that includes $2 bills.
The first response to my post was that one anonymous guest claiming it was insulting to leave a $2 bill as a tip. After that it was a lot of people saying that was a ludicrous response with a few questioning whether or not it was just someone pulling our chain. I guess it devolved into a discussion on what currency retailers were required to take.

I get it. Some people receive two dollar bills and think that the only thing they can do is stash it away because they believe it's something unique or valuable beyond $2. But that's not my problem. Most seem happy to get it even if they're just going to save it. I recently left one as part of a tip. I walked away but went back looking for something I left at the table. Our server was showing it to the other servers, as she'd never seen one. Somehow our conversation while she was serving us was that she was a recent transplant from Canada, so I guess she'd never seen a US $2 bill before. I'm guessing she probably had never seen a Canadian $2 bill (replaced by the toonie) before either given her age.

I don't really know about your drop off fee renting in K-Falls and returning in Spokane. This is how to avoid it: Take the Coast Starlight to Chemult with the

shuttle bus to Bend. Rent a car in Bend. If you ski or snowboard drive up to Mt. Bachelor (about 100" base).

When you leave Bend, take the Central Oregon Breeze bus to the PDX Amtrak station to take the EB back home. (Chicago?)

There's a small hanging closet in the CZ roomettes that hold quite a bit down on the floor.A backpack and a shopping bag fit in the room along with hanging some clothes. Watch what you put under the seats as you may not be able to retrieve them after the bottom bed is made up. A power strip for charging and your good to go.May need an unbrel!a when getting off the train in Klamath Falls.

I get it. Some people receive two dollar bills and think that the only thing they can do is stash it away because they believe it's something unique or valuable beyond $2. But that's not my problem. Most seem happy to get it even if they're just going to save it.
I'm glad you get it because I sure don't. Is tipping with $2 bills some sort of shared habit or hobby among elderly retirees? Nowhere else in my life does anyone ever bring up a desire for conspicuous tipping with bills rare enough to be unusual but common enough to afford no definable benefit.

Can I carry my pocket knife?
Amtrak is pretty realistic with most of their policies/rules. (see link in the quote below)

Keep it in your pocket.

Be discrete if you need to use it.

A sheathed knife is OK in checked baggage.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565025

Sharp objects

Carry-on: including but not limited to axes, ice picks, knives, spears, and swords - No*

*Scissors, nail clippers, corkscrews, and razors are allowed in carry-on baggage.

Checked baggage: **Sheathed equipment, to include fencing equipment, are allowed in checked baggage. No**

I get it. Some people receive two dollar bills and think that the only thing they can do is stash it away because they believe it's something unique or valuable beyond $2. But that's not my problem. Most seem happy to get it even if they're just going to save it.
I'm glad you get it because I sure don't. Is tipping with $2 bills some sort of shared habit or hobby among elderly retirees? Nowhere else in my life does anyone ever bring up a desire for conspicuous tipping with bills rare enough to be unusual but common enough to afford no definable benefit.
It can be a conversation starter. However, to me it's money. It has the most interesting design of any US paper money.

I'm certainly no elderly retiree. Just the other day I was in a line where I saw a middle school aged kid looking to spend a few well used two dollar bills. His friend were asking him why he'd want to spend them, but to him it was his spending money.

I bought a roll of the "president" one dollar coins from my bank. Many banks got a case of $500 and have disbursed less than half of them.

They are a memorable tip.

If you do get off in K-Falls, go to see Crater Lake and then return the car and take the CS to Portland and then take the EB all the way.

If you have a long layover in Portland, rent a car there and go to see the Columbia Gorge and Multnomah Falls

If intent on bringing a smile, slip a Clinton $3 bill (play money) into the tip. [Wonder how many frivolous posts this frivolous post will generate! :p ]

What I don't get is why this is a topic even worthy of conversation? Why does anyone care what denomination of US currency I chose to carry in my wallet? Yes I sometimes tip with $2 bills but it has nothing to do with a desire to be conspicuous; I also use them for all the things you might expect to buy with a small denomination bill. What is unique about the train is the need to provide a tip separate from the food bill since sleeping car passenger's meals are included in the price of their ticket. Unlike most situations where you might add the tip on your credit card bill, here you need to produce cash for each meal. On a LD train with several meals in the dining car it helps to plan ahead so you don't run out of cash. For me it's just easier to carry $2's. If you have a different solution that's ok but don't ridicule me for choosing to use $2's.

If you have a long layover in Portland, rent a car there and go to see the Columbia Gorge and Multnomah Falls
From the initial post, it sounds like he's getting off the CS in Klamath Falls then back on the EB in Spokane a few days later. Excellent opportunity to drive up the entire Columbia River Gorge to, say, Kennewick/Pasco then head NE up to Spokane. Even better would be to drive both sides of the Gorge, but I think that would complicate things. FWIW, the Best Western in Pasco (just South of the airport) is the second best hotel I've ever stayed in, topped only by the Intercontinental in Boston at 4X the cost.

On a LD train with several meals in the dining car it helps to plan ahead so you don't run out of cash. For me it's just easier to carry $2's. If you have a different solution that's ok but don't ridicule me for choosing to use $2's.
In my experience $2 bills are not something you just casually bump into. They're not coming out of any ATM I've ever seen. Nor are you likely to receive them as change from any routine purchase. You have to make time during bankers hours to go and request them in person. Are you aware that in 2015 people of working age can go years without personally entering a physical bank? AU's fascination in tipping with $2 bills substantially predates your membership so I'm not sure why you're taking this personally.

Father might say we all have peculiarities but that doesn't mandate indoctrinating others to practice same. I was raised that if you can't tip you shouldn't expect service. If the service is horrible I leave my two cents, literally . If not I reward relative to performance. We were also taught to tip in cash not add it to a "card" because the server often has to wait for that kind of remuneration. Having worked for tips I could relate a myriad of and less than experiences. As long as the currency was negotiable I cared not about the denomination but was overjoyed when I might add to the pleasure of the experience and be rewarded accordingly.

Mother often cautioned about beating a dead horse. For my tastes this discussion of Jeffersonian based gratuities has maxed out.

In this respect my advice to Mr. Jeeter would be a multiple outlet cord, a USB (if so needed) outlet on same a plus. Duct tape (damn the residue, let them fix the vents and latches so it is not needed) a hoodie or similar apparel to take the chill off when needed, ear buds for any entertainment devices, and a desire to kick back, relax and enjoy not only the view but those you encounter on your journey. I have learned to love passing time with strangers in the diner. If you are in a rush your arrival anxiety will overcome the joy of getting there when you get there.

What I don't get is why this is a topic even worthy of conversation? Why does anyone care what denomination of US currency I chose to carry in my wallet?
You and I both know it isn't and nobody really should. But here's my view on members of any internet forum, classified into common types of sport angling:

• Those who dangle the bait down in the water from a fixed position practice what's known as "still fishing"

• Those who fling the bait out some distance into the water and then retrieve it practice what's known as "bait casting"

• Those who pull the bait along from a moving boat practice what's known as...uh...er...dang, I can't remember what this one's called. Oh well.

But I console myself in the knowledge that opinions are like bellybuttons (and some other body parts) - everybody's got one. :p

But this needs to be about Amtrak, so here's the connection. Many anglers are unaware that Amtrak connects to VIA rail up in Canada at three locations. And with sufficient notice, VIA rail will drop off and pick up any angler and his/her gear at any point along the route - the most popular being in central and Western Ontario.

I bought a roll of the "president" one dollar coins from my bank. Many banks got a case of $500 and have disbursed less than half of them.

They are a memorable tip.
It's kind of sad in a way, but I find those dollar coins to be useful, even if they stopped producing them in amounts for general circulation. The Treasury ran into a glut of them and the more recent versions are only produced for the collectors' market.

However, most vending machines take dollar coins now. I've had no issues with self-checkout machines taking them. Public transit also has no issue. They register as a dollar in farebox machines and ticket vending machines all take them. Some even dole them out as change. And the real kicker (kind of sad) is that parking meters mostly accept them now. I guess it only points out that meter rates are now starting at $2/hr, and upwards of $6/hr with some variable pricing. I occasionally run into an old Susan B Anthony dollar. They still work in any machine that takes them. I generally won't leave one as a tip since I realize it might be mistaken for a quarter.

And if I have a dollar coin I might leave one on top of paper money tips almost as a paper weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back