Trip report Los Angeles to Chicago by train 4 departing 10/7/23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I flew out to Los Angeles from Chicago. The flight was on time and uneventful. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency and enjoyed the 2 p.m. late checkout. I took an Uber to a pizza place in Long Beach to position myself for a ride on the Blue Line, which would use the new connection to provide a one-seat ride to Union Station.

All of this worked out perfectly. I got to the metropolitan lounge at about 4:45. I had time for a much-enjoyed cold can of Coke. They started red cap boarding at about 5:15.

I saw two sleepers and forgot to count the coaches. There is a 430 and a 432 sleeper. Apparently no 431?

The scan is an older white lady who was professional. She seems to be new. She had a white board which she used to check off room numbers. She told me to go upstairs for room 14. I think she's a bit overwhelmed but will end up doing a good job.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0032.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Yesterday, I flew out to Los Angeles from Chicago. The flight was on time and uneventful. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency and enjoyed the 2 p.m. late checkout. I took an Uber to a pizza place in Long Beach to position myself for a ride on the Blue Line, which would use the new connection to provide a one-seat ride to Union Station.

All of this worked out perfectly. I got to the metropolitan lounge at about 4:45. I had time for a much-enjoyed cold can of Coke. They started red cap boarding at about 5:15.

I saw two sleepers and forgot to count the coaches. There is a 430 and a 432 sleeper. Apparently no 431?

The scan is an older white lady who was professional. She seems to be new. She had a white board which she used to check off room numbers. She told me to go upstairs for room 14. I think she's a bit overwhelmed but will end up doing a good job.
Nice pics, look forward to your trip reports!

Highlights from yesterday afternoon. The trip has gone quite smoothly. My only nitpick is that they mix the green beans with mashed potatoes. This ruins the taste of the mashed potatoes because I don't like green beans.

I tried to poste more details from yesterday but they never made it to online.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
The final stretch into Chicago showed BNSF dispatching at its best. We over took several EB freights. Before Cameron we crossed over to wb track to pass a wb freight entering the web track. We crossed back over behind the freight and entered Cameron junction. Never stopped. We used each of the three tracks on the raceway between Naperville and Chicago.

I observed 90 mph running in California, Arizona and Western New Mexico as well as across Missouri.

The final stretch into Chicago showed BNSF dispatching at its best. We over took several EB freights. Before Cameron we crossed over to wb track to pass a wb freight entering the web track. We crossed back over behind the freight and entered Cameron junction. Never stopped. We used each of the three tracks on the raceway between Naperville and Chicago.

I observed 90 mph running in California, Arizona and Western New Mexico as well as across Missouri.
I've noticed that a run like that is a morale booster. Some other railroads handling a late train might just give up.

How ironic, I took the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago 10/8/23. We ended up arriving in Chicago 3 hours and 50 minutes late due to a medical emergency and engine problems in Albuquerque, I had eight minutes to catch my connecting train to St Louis whuich I was able to do. The backup plan was to put me on the City Of New Orleans to Carbondale Illinois and a connecting motor coach to the St Louis Amtrak Station.The food was outstanding except the steak was real chewy. Except for being late it was a good trip, The Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited arrived in Los Angeles early on my trip out. That was a surprisingly good trip except for the Flex Dining from St Louis to San Antonio.

Where is that pizza place in Long Beach ? Name ?

Here is the link. It is within walking distance of the 5th Street Blue Line station. The crust on the squares was not crispy. It was soggy. If the crust had been firmer, and crispier, it would have been perfect.

A
Milana's New York Pizzeria
Pizza restaurant
165 E 4th St · (562) 901-1111
Open ⋅ Closes 9 PM
Dine-in·Takeout·Delivery

Here is the link. It is within walking distance of the 5th Street Blue Line station. The crust on the squares was not crispy. It was soggy. If the crust had been firmer, and crispier, it would have been perfect.

A
Milana's New York Pizzeria
Pizza restaurant
165 E 4th St · (562) 901-1111
Open ⋅ Closes 9 PM
Dine-in·Takeout·Delivery
Thank you believe it or not, I always order my pizzas well done for just that reason ..lol

Back