Trip Report. Steve introduces Rosalyn to the Coast Starlight and California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. Wife and I will be riding the California Zephyr for the first time soon from Chi - Emy. In the six years since we started riding Amtrak we have been on Lakeshore Limited a few times, Silver Meteor and Silver Star a few times, Coast Starlight & Texas Eagle I always did my research before riding Amtrak so we would be prepared to sightsee. Also to be prepared for what goes on in the train such as....meals, stops where we can get out, where our car is located in relation to other cars. But since I signed up for this Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum last month a lot has been answered for me. All you riders are giving me so much info I feel that I should be paying you. To me this is the best research I could be doing, just by listening to all you experts. One thing I find hard to understand is all these acronyms. I spend too much time trying to figure out what they mean. Even easy ones like LD, it took my a few minutes to figure it means long distance. There are still so many that I dont understand. But 2 of them are driving me up the wall, and I bet they are stupid easy. SCA & LSA...I believe they are some kind of helpers on the train. Is there a page somewhere with all the acronyms meanings? As I was saying we will be on the CZ...I figured that one out myself. lol. Are there certain areas we should be on the lookout for during our trip for sight seeing? Any other tips I can get will be appreciated. Thank you all for giving this newby some knowledge about Amtrak.

Hello all. Wife and I will be riding the California Zephyr for the first time soon from Chi - Emy. In the six years since we started riding Amtrak we have been on Lakeshore Limited a few times, Silver Meteor and Silver Star a few times, Coast Starlight & Texas Eagle I always did my research before riding Amtrak so we would be prepared to sightsee. Also to be prepared for what goes on in the train such as....meals, stops where we can get out, where our car is located in relation to other cars. But since I signed up for this Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum last month a lot has been answered for me. All you riders are giving me so much info I feel that I should be paying you. To me this is the best research I could be doing, just by listening to all you experts. One thing I find hard to understand is all these acronyms. I spend too much time trying to figure out what they mean. Even easy ones like LD, it took my a few minutes to figure it means long distance. There are still so many that I dont understand. But 2 of them are driving me up the wall, and I bet they are stupid easy. SCA & LSA...I believe they are some kind of helpers on the train. Is there a page somewhere with all the acronyms meanings? As I was saying we will be on the CZ...I figured that one out myself. lol. Are there certain areas we should be on the lookout for during our trip for sight seeing? Any other tips I can get will be appreciated. Thank you all for giving this newby some knowledge about Amtrak.
Generally the Sections of the Zephyr's Route for the Best Scenery is Denver to Grand Junction ( the Rockies) and Reno to Sacramento ( the Sierra Nevadas), with water views West of Sacramento into Emeryville.

It will be dark during most of the time you're in Utah, and across the Dessert of Eastern Nevada into Reno.

The crossing of the Missississippi into Iowa is nice as the Sun sets, but unless you like Soy Beans,Corn,Wind Generators and Praries, the rest of the CHI- Denver Route thru Iowa,Nebraska and into Colorado is nothing to write home about.

Back