Trip to Canada

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orie

Service Attendant
Hi all,

In two weeks I'm taking a short trip to Canada and back, mainly because I really need a break off from work and I found a way to cross two items off my Amtrak bucket list on one trip (Dome car and 2x1 BC). There a few things that I'm not exactly clear on if somebody wouldn't mind helping me out. I'm taking the Adirondack to Montreal, staying a day, taking Via Rail to Toronto, staying a day, and taking the Maple Leaf back to New York.

Do I need to arrive any earlier than usual to catch the trains that cross the border? I read on a travel website post that people started lining up an hour before departure at Toronto station for a Maple Leaf train, but the author never described why. I guess this would fall under Via rail procedures more than Amtrak as Via operates the ML in Canada, but I can't find any information about it.

I'm taking the Adirondack north from Penn station. From what I understand, I should get a seat on the left side until Albany for the Hudson, and then once I get into the Dome Car, switch to a seat on the right hand side for Lake Champlain. Did I get that right?

Are the 2x1 cafe car/BC seats on the left or right? I've found pictures for both, but I can't tell which are up to date. Or do some cars have left and some right?

I'm guessing the Adirondack will be packed from NYP to Albany like all empire corridor trains, but how busy will a Monday train be after Albany? Will I have trouble getting a seat in the Dome Car?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Redcaps in NYP and Toronto!

You got it right on the left/right side seat on the Adirondsck and on the Maple Laugh the right side is best TWO- NYP, single seats on right and of course the Hudson is on the Right ALB,-NYP!

Ocean View seating in the Dome is first come, first served out of Albany once open, Right side of course for the Lake viewing!

Don't forget your passport or enhanced DL and you'll be given special luggage tags @ NYP, no checked bags!!.

You do need to allow a little extra time in both NYP and Toronto before boarding because the passengers crossing the border have to show documentation for a border pre screening.

You do need to allow a little extra time in both NYP and Toronto before boarding because the passengers crossing the border have to show documentation for a border pre screening.
Ok, thanks! I guess I'll try to get there 60-90 minutes early.

When you to NYP, you need to check in at the Canada check in when you get there for document verification. It was kind of to your left if you stand out front of the Amtrak passenger waiting area (the seats) facing the ticket windows when I was there, it is a portable podium. Then get a red cap. I got there a bit more than 60 minutes before departure. The red cap is great if you want to preboard and score a seat on the right(Lake Champlain) side. I grabbed a seat for the whole trip and decided on the Lake Champlain side, while the Hudson is beautiful, I'd seen it on the LSL.

BTW NYP is the only Amtrak station I've been where a $5 tip to the redcap was met with visible disappointment.

Good info Zephyr but after all its New York!

Even though most Canadians are friendly and helpful, the Red Caps in Canada are very forceful about telling you exactly what the usual/standard expected tip is for providing service!

Yes, they have redcaps in Montreal, and Yes , what Jim previously posted about them is very true...LOL...voice of experience... ( and I thought I was a good tipper)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back