Trip to Yuma

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
I have to go to Yuma Az in Mar 08 . I am thinking about a sleeper on the Texas Eagle. Idont know

anything about it as far as on time performance? consists? Service? I will leave from Chi the first

week of March. After reading some of the posts lately on Amtraks poor customer service I wonder if

I would be better off just flying!! I have rode the CZ and SWC in the past andhad great trips on both!!

I love to ride the rails and I think it is one of the best kept secrets as far as the Best way to see this

great country of ours!!!

Any info on the Texas Eagle would be very helpful.

Thanks

Trainfan

I have to go to Yuma Az in Mar 08 . I am thinking about a sleeper on the Texas Eagle. Idont know anything about it as far as on time performance? consists? Service? I will leave from Chi the first

week of March. After reading some of the posts lately on Amtraks poor customer service I wonder if

I would be better off just flying!! I have rode the CZ and SWC in the past andhad great trips on both!!

I love to ride the rails and I think it is one of the best kept secrets as far as the Best way to see this

great country of ours!!!

Thanks

Trainfan
The one consistent complaint about this train is its poor on time performance. IF you HAVE to be somewhere in a timely fashion, please either consider leaving a couple of days earlier than planned or head to the airport. The Texas Eagle consists will be a turn of the City of New Orleans (IT starts out of New Orleans, as The City of New Orleans, and is serviced when it arrives in Chicago and then turned southward again). You will usually have one, maybe two, locomotives, maybe a baggage car, a crew transistion dormitory car (a sleeper that they can sell revenue space in, a diner,a lounge and at least two or three coaches in addition to the regular revenue sleeper. My only questions on this train is why the diner crew de-trains in Austin instead of going all the way to San Antonio? You will only have lounge car service between those two points in both directions.

I have to go to Yuma Az in Mar 08 . I am thinking about a sleeper on the Texas Eagle. Idont know

anything about it as far as on time performance? consists? Service? I will leave from Chi the first

great country of ours!!!

Thanks

Trainfan
The one consistent complaint about this train is its poor on time performance. IF you HAVE to be somewhere in a timely fashion, please either consider leaving a couple of days earlier than planned or head to the airport. The Texas Eagle consists will be a turn of the City of New Orleans (IT starts out of New Orleans, as The City of New Orleans, and is serviced when it arrives in Chicago and then turned southward again). You will usually have one, maybe two, locomotives, maybe a baggage car, a crew transistion dormitory car (a sleeper that they can sell revenue space in, a diner,a lounge and at least two or three coaches in addition to the regular revenue sleeper. My only questions on this train is why the diner crew de-trains in Austin instead of going all the way to San Antonio? You will only have lounge car service between those two points in both directions.
Ok I am confused, I did not realize the Texas Eagle went to New Orleans. I thought you had to change trains in San Antonio....

Ok I am confused, I did not realize the Texas Eagle went to New Orleans. I thought you had to change trains in San Antonio....
He is referring that once the train set of New Orleans has reached Chicago, it goes to the yard for clean up and maintenance. Once it is done, it became Texas Eagle and go for San Antonio.

He is referring that once the train set of New Orleans has reached Chicago, it goes to the yard for clean up and maintenance. Once it is done, it became Texas Eagle and go for San Antonio.

I understand now, I did not realize there was a 58 train from NOL to CHI, I guess I should have investigated first

The Texas Eagle goes between Chicago and L.A. - according to schedule, it arrives very early in the morning, but if it's late (as usual, 2-4 hours), you'll actually arrive at a civilized hour of the morning, perhaps even getting breakfast first.

On the down side, (sorry that this sounds biased, but it's based on experience) the Eagle uses a Chicago onboard crew, rather than the L.A. crews of the Sunset, and it's pretty well known that Chicago and East Coast crews can be brusque or worse, while West Coast crews are generally (there are certainly exceptions) friendly, polite, and helpful.

I understand now, I did not realize there was a 58 train from NOL to CHI, I guess I should have investigated first
You would have no way of knowing as it is not indicated in the public timetable as what trains are made up of arriving (and terminating) trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go to Yuma Az in Mar 08 . I am thinking about a sleeper on the Texas Eagle. Idont know anything about it as far as on time performance? consists? Service? I will leave from Chi the first week of March. After reading some of the posts lately on Amtraks poor customer service I wonder if I would be better off just flying!! I have rode the CZ and SWC in the past andhad great trips on both!!
I love to ride the rails and I think it is one of the best kept secrets as far as the Best way to see this great country of ours!!!

the texas eagle was our 'home train' before we moved from austin to the northeast a few months ago, so i'd be happy to share my thoughts with you on rail vs air on this route. you would book a coach seat or sleeper compartment on #421 which is the through coach and sleeper cars on #21 traveling from chicago to san antonio. you leave chicago in the early afternoon, get to st. louis that evening, travel overnight through missouri and arkansas and awake in texas the early morning of day two. from there you'll travel all day through texas plains, hitting san antonio that evening. the through coach and sleeper stay in san antonio overnight and is tacked on to the sunset limited early the next morning for your twenty-four hour run to yuma.

time-keeping on this route is very, very poor. although the sunset limited portion (from san antonio to los angeles) had been doing well -- or at least better than previous years -- for much of the first half of 2007, it is now getting into los angeles very late indeed. the chances of an on-time arrival into yuma are virtually nil. that having been said, if it did arrive on-time, you'd be detraining shortly after 4AM so maybe a little lateness isn't such a bad thing here.

on the service front, it is rather inconsistent on these runs. we've had excellent dining car crews and we've had sleeper attendants which spent nearly the entire trip hanging out in the diner with other crew members talking amongst themselves for two days. most people get very bent out of shape about the on-board service they receive on these trains, especially in the sleepers. well, that's why amtrak has quit referring to the sleepers as 'first-class' service -- because it rarely is. nonetheless with the through sleeper you stand a fairly good chance of getting a refurbished car complete with wood-grain panels and newer upholstry. i'd say nearly a 50/50 chance based on our experience. not sure why, but we tend to get lucky on that score more often than one would expect. the consist out of chicago will be a transition sleeper, diner, lounge, coach, coach-baggage, through coach (to #1), and the through sleeper is on the end.

if you book on #421 all the way to yuma, you'll be in the rear of the train. some feel that the ride is bit more jostling back there, although i've never really noticed much of a difference. we usually book the rear sleeper even if detraining in texas as up front you are right next to the locomotive's blaring horn. through the night. plus you get a great rear view. you can book on #21 going south and then transfer to #1 in san antonio to save a little money, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you are on a tight budget. stepping off a comfortable train in the early evening to spend the night around a train station is not my idea of a good time. and while they do transfer the cars while you are sleeping to the westbound sunset in the early morning hours, it has rarely woken us.

there is another option, however. you can book chicago to los angeles aboard the southwest chief and then take the eastbound sunset limited from LA to yuma. you'd have to book it as a multi-city trip, so the connection is not guaranteed; but the chief's OTP is usually quite good and you'd have a six-hour window between the two trains in LA. i cannot recall the last time #3 came into LA late enough as to cause you problems with the connection. others on the board can tell you if this is a reasonable option or not. we've always taken the eagle, but that's because we didn't need to leave from chicago.

either way you'll be spending nearly four days on board the trains. the scenery isn't as fantastic as the southwest chief's on the eagle/sunset, but there are some great desert views along the sunset limited portion of the route, including the bridge over the pecos. crossing the mississippi at st. louis is also superb. the texas eagle isn't the most scenic, but it is very historic. if you need to get there quickly, just go ahead and fly. it will end up being substantially cheaper compared with sleeper car service from chicago to yuma. but if you have the time, inclination, and money, it is a worthwhile trip. just don't expect to be waited on 'hand and foot' and you should be fine.

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

Last edited by a moderator:
My only questions on this train is why the diner crew de-trains in Austin instead of going all the way to San Antonio? You will only have lounge car service between those two points in both directions.
the dining car crew detrains in austin as one of amtrak's cost-cutting measures from earlier this decade. the rationale was that given the time-keeping, dinner would rarely be served past arrival in austin and you would then be paying three-four employees an extra six hours pay just to serve breakfast the next morning coming back up from san antonio. at least that's how one of the servers explained the situation to me on one of the trips. sleeping car customers on #22 are given a cold breakfast tray. can't comment on what's on it though.

hey, could be worse. they used to get off in fort worth until the complaints forced amtrak to push the dining car crew off further south.

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

My only questions on this train is why the diner crew de-trains in Austin instead of going all the way to San Antonio? You will only have lounge car service between those two points in both directions.
the dining car crew detrains in austin as one of amtrak's cost-cutting measures from earlier this decade. the rationale was that given the time-keeping, dinner would rarely be served past arrival in austin and you would then be paying three-four employees an extra six hours pay just to serve breakfast the next morning coming back up from san antonio. at least that's how one of the servers explained the situation to me on one of the trips. sleeping car customers on #22 are given a cold breakfast tray. can't comment on what's on it though.

hey, could be worse. they used to get off in fort worth until the complaints forced amtrak to push the dining car crew off further south.

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

That also means no breakfast from San Antonio North, Lunch is servered however. I am curious do sleeper people get breakfast included from the lounge car?

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

That also means no breakfast from San Antonio North, Lunch is servered however. I am curious do sleeper people get breakfast included from the lounge car?
As mentioned above, don't expect on-time service on the Sunset Route in either direction. The main line is chock full of freight inbound from the ports and empties going back to reload. I've only ridden the Sunset between Tucson and New Orleans and it was something like several hours late. As a motorcoach driver, I also drove several Amtrak subs as our company held the contract from Tucson to LA. One trip was due to the train being several hours late. The others were due to Amtrak terminating the train at Tucson due to high freight traffic west of Tucson. Took several coaches to remove all passengers and baggage-unhappy passengers no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back