Triple fatality CONO vehicle strike May 18, 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The local news this morning (different part of Mississippi) reported the driver tried to beat the train. Although the article doesn't mention that, so we'll see what the investigation finds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It seems the only way to eliminate these grade crossing accidents is to eliminate the grade crossings themselves. That, unfortunately, is prohibitive by cost, available ROW. I was shocked at the cost to construct two overpasses to eliminate two UP mainline grade crossings near here. This rural state highway is now used by over twice as many vehicles since any wait for long freights has been eliminated. More importantly, the near misses many of us witnessed no longer have an opportunity to happen. Again, I wish our government leaders could work with the railroads, State DOT, and the Fed DOT for financing, design alternatives (like raising the track for an underpass, or minimal relocation of track to utilize available ROW), and quicker approval processes.

This is a really disheartening fatal accident. 35 year old father killed along with his 7 year old daughter and one year old. WAPT news: Names of 3 killed in Amtrak train-pickup collision released.

Looked up the crossing on Google Street view. The crossing has flashing lights, but no gates. Kearney Park Road crosses the tracks at roughly a 45 degree angle, so depending on the direction the vehicle is coming from, the driver has poor visibility if they are trying to beat the train. Which is likely what happened here.

This is a single track line and what appears to a 2 lane fairly rural road. Not a crossing that can likely come close to justify the expense of a full grade separation. What could be done to improve safety is to re-align the road so it makes a turn and crosses the track at a right angle, maybe with a stop sign. forcing drivers to stop (or at least slow down). Then add gates with long crossing arms to deter people from driving around the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back