TriRail's funky engine (not the turbine!)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Has anyone rode TriRail's experimental piece of trash?

It looks like it sits in the yard, next to the Bombardier Turbine all the time.

I find it hard to believe that Trirail would spend 2 million dollars to park Trains in their yard and call it a test. Sounds like something Amtrak WOULD do!!! :p

Any info would be appreciated.

Miami Joe

Are you talking about the DMU Joe? Is it a Maroon color, have windows, look more like a Cab Car than it does an Engine?

That's the one!!! :eek:

Anybody been able to ride it? If you know of any past posts, pass the dates so I can catch up.

Thanks!

Miami joe B)

Didn't the state buy it? If they did, it would be typical of any state prjoect. Sitting around with no progress.

I know the state bought a full set of cars which Tri-Rail will use most of the time (other parts of the state can use it for demonstration projects). The set isn't supposed to be delivered until July I believe. So I think after the trials with the DMU pushing a standard set finished they kinda sheleved any work until they get the full set from Colorado Railcar.

Last thing I heard was it was a two million dollar test project and the DMU's were leased from CRC.

I have only seen 1 DMU, there are supposed to be two. I don't recall anything about matching car sets for them. I assumed they would pull the existing car sets.

I don't think they have started the test. I never see the thing moving.

Miami JOe

The locos are sitting down here in Hialeah. :eek:

They are sitting in CSX's freight yard and they haven't moved for a least a year. They are still black, with the TRX logo stenciled on. They have been designated numbers between 810-820. I can't recall the exact numbers.

I've never seen them running or anyone working on them. :(

Miami Joe

Well I spoke with Tri-Rail's Chief Mechanical Officer last month and there are currently no plans to do anything with the engines. They've been numbered 812-817 and really haven't been of any use to anyone. Since Tri-Rail bought the engines the only really thing they've done with them is take the air compressor out of 812 and put it in 803 or 804. They don't have the money right now to get the engines rebuilt, and the bid for the rebuild hasn't been sent out yet. It's likely that MPI will be the rebuilder but they might get under bid.

Dose tri-rail need the extra motive currently? Were these bought for expanded service after double tracking, or FEC service? They are sort of pointless with out coaches to use.

Back